Gunman critically wounds 7 in TN church: MERGED - Page 3

Gunman critically wounds 7 in TN church: MERGED

This is a discussion on Gunman critically wounds 7 in TN church: MERGED within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; another story from a gun free zone...these make me sad and feel sick to my stomach...sounds like this one was random, other than the fact ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gunman critically wounds 7 in TN church: MERGED

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    another story from a gun free zone...these make me sad and feel sick to my stomach...sounds like this one was random, other than the fact this wacko knew no one would be armed and fight back.
    This scum bag deserve what he gets, and in my book...shooting up a church no matter the demonination lands you in an eternal 'hot spot'.
    my thoughts and prayers to the families of this tradegy, and a plee to politicians..please allow the good guys the ability to defend...get rid of gun free zones.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I heard a guy on the news (not sure if he was a witness or LEO) saying there were from 6-13 shots fired.

Strange estimate, but if I remember correctly, that's what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor View Post
    a plee to politicians..please allow the good guys the ability to defend...get rid of gun free zones.
    + a kazillion

That's all we ask for: a chance to defend ourselves.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    Church shootings are more common amongst certain denominations?
    Based on my training in statistics, we don't have enough of a sample size to speak of actualities, thank God. However, guessing, it would seem that a shooting might be more likely to occur in:
    • A larger denomination (since there are more such churches, they are likely to be over-represented with no connection with denominational stance at all);
    • A larger church (since it would be more obvious in the community - a bad guy is unlikely to target our one-room country church);
    • A church/denomination in which preaching was forthright/ Biblical/hate-filled/to-the-point/sin-challenging/intolerant/uncompromising (pick one - I may see it one way and be highly in favor of it, while someone else with a different set of priorities might take exception... or lose it);
    • A church/denomination which excommunicates people (most of the time such folks take off and are never heard from again, but someone unstable might brood over such an action as if it were hostile against the person rather than surgical against the sin); or
    • A church which is merely handy: an after-hours church shooter in Idaho last year killed the sexton... but he chose that church only because he wanted to shoot up the Sheriff's Office across the street.

I would think a church shooting would be a lot less likely in those churches/denomination which don't rock the cultural boat (which covers a lot of churches).

Since my church and denomination is uncompromisingly Biblical and does rock the cultural boat, I carry. Religiously.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor View Post
    another story from a gun free zone
    Church is not a Tennessee GFZ.

That denomination, along with liberal reformed Jews, is considered the religious backbone of the Democratic party. I have a feeling that it was a GFZ by choice.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Since my church and denomination is uncompromisingly Biblical and does rock the cultural boat, I carry. Religiously.
    While I doubt that I fully agree, I agree with the principle. +1, 10-4, and Amen.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Church is not a Tennessee GFZ.

Even though legally it wasn't a gunfree zone, it appears none of those attending that day were carrying.

So what we have is a "voluntary," gunfree zone. They are quite fortunate this wasn't much,much worse.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

The politics of Unitarianism.

Unitarian Universalism is the church of political correctness. This means that the members are supposed to be anti-gun. The article mentions that that the church in question was an ACLU / gay rights / progressive social activism church (let's call it the church of Micheal Moore). For all of their pulpit preaching about the blight of private gun ownership, they themselves fell victim to it and had no recourse but to take the bullets 'like heroes'.

So the lesson is this: (1) You cannot be progressive enough to be saved from gunfire. (2) Anti-gun ("peace only") policies in your facility do not prevent murder (3) It can happen anywhere.

Isn't Virginia a no carry in church state??
    One man with a gun can control 100 without one.
    Vladimir Lenin

What about the law?

Wait a minute!
    I hear it already!
    In the distance ... there! With the baying of hounds and screams of liberal journalists, the cry for more LAWS!
    Of course! The perfect solution!
    Well, now, wait a minute ...
    It's unlawful to formulate a plan to harm another.
    It's unlawful to carry out a plan to harm another.
    It's unlawful to transport a weapon with intent to harm another.
    It's unlawful to kill another.
    It's unlawful to attempt to kill another.
    It's unlawful to commit grievous bodily harm to another.
    It's unlawful to commit any bodily harm to another.
    It's illegal to do any of these things with a weapon.
    Geez ...
    There are already laws to cover darn near everything that happened, and the bad guy still made it happen!
    How can that be?
    (turning off the sarcasm switch now)
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Another wacko in a gun fee zone....why am I not surprised? In MI you can carry in church if you get permission....guess I better ask.

I'm glad Florida does not have any silly gun free zones.

My prayers go out to there family's....

My sister works at a very large Baptist church. I attended church with her one time, and after at lunch
    the conversation came up regarding guns. I showed her the one I was carrying. She almost fell out of the chair. Stating she had been with me for over 3 hours and never knew. I said that was what I wanted, but then she asked me why in the world would I carry a gun to church.

Well, that was five years ago. Today she no longer wonders why..

Based on my training in statistics, we don't have enough of a sample size to speak of actualities, thank God. However, guessing, it would seem that a shooting might be more likely to occur in:
    • A larger denomination (since there are more such churches, they are likely to be over-represented with no connection with denominational stance at all);
    • A larger church (since it would be more obvious in the community - a bad guy is unlikely to target our one-room country church);
    • A church/denomination in which preaching was forthright/ Biblical/hate-filled/to-the-point/sin-challenging/intolerant/uncompromising (pick one - I may see it one way and be highly in favor of it, while someone else with a different set of priorities might take exception... or lose it);
    • A church/denomination which excommunicates people (most of the time such folks take off and are never heard from again, but someone unstable might brood over such an action as if it were hostile against the person rather than surgical against the sin); or
    • A church which is merely handy: an after-hours church shooter in Idaho last year killed the sexton... but he chose that church only because he wanted to shoot up the Sheriff's Office across the street.

I would think a church shooting would be a lot less likely in those churches/denomination which don't rock the cultural boat (which covers a lot of churches).

i agree... too many churches have given into the PC'd way of life.

Most church's are gun free zones (like malls and post offices), and the people are congregated en mass so taking pot shots will almost guarantee a hit.

it seems to me that most "gun free" zones are just turkeys shoots waiting to happen.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

(Police: Man shot churchgoers over liberal views By DUNCAN MANSFIELD, Associated Press Writer
    16 minutes ago

Knoxville's police chief says the man accused of a shooting that killed two people at a Tennessee church targeted the congregation because of its liberal social stance.

Chief Sterling Owen IV said Monday that police found a letter in Jim D. Adkisson's car. Owen said Adkisson was apparently frustrated over being out of work and had a "stated hatred of the liberal movement."

Adkisson is charged with first-degree murder. Police say a gunman entered the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church during a children's performance Sunday. No children were hurt.

The church is known for advocating women's and gay rights and founding an American Civil Liberties Union chapter.)

Sounds like another loser blaming his situation on innocent people
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

frustration and anger taken out the WRONG way.

i agree with his frustration in this regard, but not the way he handled it.

if you don't agree with it, leave. all it will do is either tick you off or turn you into a liberal sap.

his actions are not helping gun owners in anyway...esp. since the gun lovers are labeled as "fundamentalists" by some of the anti's.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links