Gunman critically wounds 7 in TN church: MERGED - Page 4

Gunman critically wounds 7 in TN church: MERGED

This is a discussion on Gunman critically wounds 7 in TN church: MERGED within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by jonesy_26 Another wacko in a gun fee zone....why am I not surprised? Originally Posted by tns0038 I'm glad Florida does not have ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gunman critically wounds 7 in TN church: MERGED

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy_26 View Post
    Another wacko in a gun fee zone....why am I not surprised?
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    I'm glad Florida does not have any silly gun free zones.
    Tennessee does not make churches gun-free zones by statute. If a church chooses to post in accordance with TCA 39-17-1359, they have that choice, but otherwise you may carry in a church in Tennessee (with a permit).
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

I agree 762 - although one might disagree with the liberals, this is definately not the way to handle it. This guy needs the book thrown at him .

It also made me remember that every Sunday I pack Mr. Kimber for church I need to be in condition yellow
    No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.

Ronald Reagan

The church was targeted because of its very liberal stances on many different social issues. As a church in bed (so to speak) with the ACLU, I am certain they were anti-gun in practice, if not clearly stated in their by-laws, etc.

This man, however, certainly could not be called a 'fundamentalist' from the article I read. He was angry with all churches-this one especially due to its liberal bent.

Anytime. Anywhere. Anyone.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by rhyfl View Post
    I agree 762 - although one might disagree with the liberals, this is definately not the way to handle it. This guy needs the book thrown at him .

It also made me remember that every Sunday I pack Mr. Kimber for church I need to be in condition yellow
    it's pretty sad when people have to go to church in fear of lunatics...

church is supposed to be a place where people do to escape so to speak.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Interesting news slant

It seems like the news is only using the term 'gunman' rather than stating that he used a shotgun. You can be sure that if a handgun had been used it would have led the story.
    We don't want to let on that we are after the hunters' shotgun also so we won't demonize the shotgun today. Had he used an extended magizine tube then it would have been an 'assault shotgun' and would have been fair game

Arkansas has law making all places of worship GFZ's..it is only a matter of time before it happens here..
    "Brains before Bullets"

Another church shooting, two dead in Tenn.

Police: Killer targeted liberal church - Crime & courts - MSNBC.com

This is why I carry everywhere, including church!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctorbarn View Post
    Isn't Virginia a no carry in church state??

Paymeister's wife here (and I carry, too):

VA is no-carry in church "unless you have a good reason to." DH asked the pastor about it, and he said, "Sure you have good reason - protecting the innocent. You're SUPPOSED to!"

I think every church now has their reason.

Being new, I thought at first GFZ meant "God-free zone." Well....

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Paymeister's wife here (and I carry, too):

VA is no-carry in church "unless you have a good reason to." DH asked the pastor about it, and he said, "Sure you have good reason - protecting the innocent. You're SUPPOSED to!"

I think every church now has their reason.

Being new, I thought at first GFZ meant "God-free zone." Well....
    in some churches i would believe it...
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

There is a huge number of crazies and fanatics running loose these days. Churches are very soft and tempting targets, with a lot of women, children, and elderly, and in many cases absolutely no protection against the evil of this world. Bad things are going to happen there in the future, just as we have seen in the past.

Many of us would agree that we have a moral obligation to protect the weak. If you feel this way, and carry in church is outlawed in your state, the real question becomes: Does this moral obligation trump state law for you?
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    There is a huge number of crazies and fanatics running loose these days. Churches are very soft and tempting targets, with a lot of women, children, and elderly, and in many cases absolutely no protection against the evil of this world. Bad things are going to happen there in the future, just as we have seen in the past.

Many of us would agree that we have a moral obligation to protect the weak. If you feel this way, and carry in church is outlawed in your state, the real question becomes: Does this moral obligation trump state law for you?
    the Bible is clear on following the laws of the land...even though we may not like some of those laws. it is an interesting thing to ponder.

my wife likes to challenge me on these things alot...esp. with my AK and AWB's, registrations, etc...
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    the Bible is clear on following the laws of the land...even though we may not like some of those laws. it is an interesting thing to ponder.

my wife likes to challenge me on these things alot...esp. with my AK and AWB's, registrations, etc...
    The Constitution is the Law of the Land. If any statute violates the Constitution, it doesn't apply in a biblical sense. This is only my opinion.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    The Constitution is the Law of the Land. If any statute violates the Constitution, it doesn't apply in a biblical sense. This is only my opinion.
    that's where it gets interesting.

if there is no law against carrying in church, etc....ya sure as hell better bet, i will be packin' (as i do). If there is a law against it...like many states have...can carrying in church be justified as morally acceptable?
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    the Bible is clear on following the laws of the land...even though we may not like some of those laws.
    762, I'm not picking on you, but I want to ask some general questions (not necessarily to you) based on your statement.

At one point, slavery was legal. Did that make it right?

At one point, it was illegal in Germany to help Jews fleeing the Nazis. Were those who helped the Jews wrong for doing so?

Christ commanded his followers to be armed. That's enough for me. Any church who says differently, or refuses to acknowledge the words of Jesus as being applicable, won't be getting my business.

Following man's laws are fine, until they conflict with the Creator's laws, or until they impact my family's safety.

My family's safety trumps all laws. ALL laws. ALL laws every time. I'm not saying I attend church every week, but when I do, I'm armed for battle, because I never know when or where it will occur. Case in point: the incident of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    762, I'm not picking on you, but I want to ask some general questions (not necessarily to you) based on your statement.

At one point, slavery was legal. Did that make it right?

At one point, it was illegal in Germany to help Jews fleeing the Nazis. Were those who helped the Jews wrong for doing so?

Christ commanded his followers to be armed. That's enough for me. Any church who says differently, or refuses to acknowledge the words of Jesus as being applicable, won't be getting my business.

Following man's laws are fine, until they conflict with the Creator's laws, or until they impact my family's safety.

My family's safety trumps all laws. ALL laws. ALL laws every time. I'm not saying I attend church every week, but when I do, I'm armed for battle, because I never know when or where it will occur. Case in point: the incident of this thread.
    ooh...trust me, i know what you're saying. i made the statement to be a devil's advocate (no humor used) so to speak for the discussion.

there are plenty of laws that conflict with the Bible... If the govt. passes illegal laws, laws that conflict with my beliefs and/or the constitution....i don't follow them. Luckily, the constitution was designed around Biblical concepts.

God entrusted a woman to me to care for and keep safe - and i'll be dammed if i allow myself to be disarmed.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links