Gunman critically wounds 7 in TN church: MERGED

This is a discussion on Gunman critically wounds 7 in TN church: MERGED within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by miklcolt45 The church was targeted because of its very liberal stances on many different social issues. As a church in bed (so ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Gunman critically wounds 7 in TN church: MERGED

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    The church was targeted because of its very liberal stances on many different social issues. As a church in bed (so to speak) with the ACLU, I am certain they were anti-gun in practice, if not clearly stated in their by-laws, etc....
    Yep:
    UUA: Unitarian Universalist Resolutions on Gun Control

Nobody has mentioned whether the church itself was posted for no carry, though.

- OS

2. Remove Ads

Unitarian Universalists affirm the inherent worth of every human life
    You'd think the value of a felon with upraised knife would be inherently less valued than one's own children.

General Assembly of the Unitarian Universalist Association passed ... in 1976, a resolution urging the passage of legislation restricting the ownership or possession of handguns
    Washington, DC, also did the same, fool, thing, and look where it got them, with a murder rate high enough to seed clouds.

4. every year there are over 1 million "gun incidents," including nearly 11,000 murders involving firearms, 15,000 suicides, 1,900 accidental deaths, 175,000 criminal assaults committed with firearms, 221,000 armed robberies, 90,000 forcible rapes, and over 200,000 gun-related injuries
    Yes, and in such situations you have a choice with two options, and two options only: (a) be able to defend against it, or (b) be able to grab your ankles only.

The major effect of NOT having firearms does in such situations is to nearly eliminate the chance you'll be able to do anything about it.

WHEREAS machine guns and semi-automatic and automatic assault weapons are highly powerful weapons designed for the efficient destruction of life
    Which is why suitably-sized handguns were designed, to allow for the role of effective self-defense by upstanding people in the face of such crime.

Last updated on Wednesday, March 28, 2007.
    Hm. One year later, they've got no answer to a gunman who's shooting the children.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Hm. One year later, they've got no answer to a gunman who's shooting the children.
    I beg to differ. Their answer may not be as combat effective as a handgun but they did overpower the gunman and I believe they broke his arm in the process. Just because their answer isn't our answer doesn't mean it isn't an answer.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Their answer may not be as combat effective as a handgun but they did overpower the gunman and I believe they broke his arm in the process.
    Given the odds, IMO they were lucky. In a game of real-life rock/paper/scissors/firearm, it's darned unlikely for a firearm to be stopped without one.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I beg to differ. Their answer may not be as combat effective as a handgun but they did overpower the gunman and I believe they broke his arm in the process. Just because their answer isn't our answer doesn't mean it isn't an answer.
    Well, one of the guys trying to grab him was one of the two fatalities.

And it was fortunate that the loon only had a three round shottie. He was tackled after expending the 3 rounds. If he had 7 round capacity like my off the shelf 870, there would have been more dead before he could have been stopped by hand.

- OS

Granted, my prefered solution is some lead in the neighborhood of 1000fps. but actually in the real world you may be surprised at how ineffective firearms really are.

Posted today in the good the bad and the ugly. One guy shot, The shooter beaten to death. I forget the name of the university in Australia but their school shooter was overpowered by his intended victims. He had multiple weapons and they were still able to get to him.

According to the CDC better than 90% of gunshot victims that arrive in the E/R alive, survive. The only way these things will turn someone "off" instantly is to disrupt the central nervous system. If you don't do that you need to be ready to fight it out to the end.
    These people may not have handled the situation the way we might have liked to, but they handled it. They lived, and some died, but they stayed true to their faith and their values.

I don't see anything wrong with that.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I don't see anything wrong with that.
    Neither do I. Am just worried for folks that think rolling the dice comes up 7's very often. It worked this time. But it's the proverbial game of bringing a knife to a gun fight. The odds aren't in their favor, that's all. Which is why the firearm came to be.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OhShoot View Post
    Nobody has mentioned whether the church itself was posted for no carry, though. - OS
    I certainly don't know, but I would be surprised if it was...posting no-carry signs is not on the radar of most churches in Tennessee that I have seen.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links