Ugly-Dangerous night in Detroit

This is a discussion on Ugly-Dangerous night in Detroit within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, it usually is anyways, but this made the 11 oclock news tonight: 5 people dead in 3 separate shootings. One occurred outside a night ...

Well, it usually is anyways, but this made the 11 oclock news tonight:

5 people dead in 3 separate shootings. One occurred outside a night club, 3 killed in a car.
    Five People Killed In Overnight Shootings || WXYZ.com | WXYZ-TV / Detroit | Detroit News, Weather, Sports and More.

We also have a serial robber who has gained some fame, the "white T bandit". There's a pretty good picture him in the report, not the usual blurry image from 20 ft away.
    White-Tee Bandit Strikes Again || WXYZ.com | WXYZ-TV / Detroit | Detroit News, Weather, Sports and More

The only thing I come to Detroit for is a baseball game....and then I'm gettin the heck outta dodge.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Minors in a bar? Detroit is a plethora of scumbags...they abound!

Detroit...never another visit by me!

Stay armed...stay out of 'Daytwa'...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I used to live just a tad north of Detroit, up by 11 mile and Van Dyke. I actually liked it quite a bit even though it was very high crime. Lots of robberies going on all the time and some areas you wish you didn't have to drive through.

I used to live North of the city, and because my wife and I have all of our family in Ohio, we found ourselves driving through Detroit on every trip out of town. After a few instances where road construction forced a detour off the highway and through the hood to get back on the highway, we decided to move to the southern suburbs in the downriver area. That helped our peace of mind as well as our travel times to see family.

It a shame crime is so high in Detroit....there are some very nice restaurants and things to do in the downtown area aside from the 3 great sports. And most of the time, where you actually may be eating or hanging out for whatever event is reasonable safe, but where you have to park or go through getting to/from is what's bad.

What a dump, coming from Michigan I'm a little ashamed of it.
    " Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." George Washington

Unfortunately, the Mayor is not setting a very good example either:

Sheriff says reports point to assault

Too bad. Detroit has alot going for it, but the crime problem needs to be addressed.
    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’

— Abraham Lincoln

Home, Sweet Home. Live <1mile north of the city, and work downtown. If I get killed at, on my to or from work, will someone remind my wife to sue my employer for the no weapons policy that leaves me helpless not only here, but to and from as well?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Cupcake...sorry you have to deal with that. But what keeps you from violating your works "no weapon" policy? Is it against the law to do so, or could you just get fired? And what is meant by "weapon?" Does a pocket knife count, for I know I can kill someone with one. What about your hands, because I'm sure there are people on this board who can kill someone with their bare hands....so what exactly does the word "weapon" constitute. I'm not in your shoes, but I do have a pretty good idea what would be happening if I was. (PM9 or LCP)

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    Cupcake...sorry you have to deal with that. But what keeps you from violating your works "no weapon" policy? Is it against the law to do so, or could you just get fired? And what is meant by "weapon?" Does a pocket knife count, for I know I can kill someone with one. What about your hands, because I'm sure there are people on this board who can kill someone with their bare hands....so what exactly does the word "weapon" constitute. I'm not in your shoes, but I do have a pretty good idea what would be happening if I was. (PM9 or LCP)
    Depends. The vast majority of where I go is simply a work-policy no-no. Sometimes I end up in a place on the state no-no list. Oddly, the state punishment is less than my employers' punishment. State +$500 fine and loss of CPL for I believe, 6 months. Work punishment + $60K a year fine. Closer to $80K if you count benefits. Now that really stings.

I believe even pepper spray is on their list of weapons, but I am given quite an assortment of hand and power tools.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

You are correct in your statements, and I guess all we can do is carry as often as we can and limit the GFZ's. I have worked places that were strickly anti-gun, but this was before I was of age to carry. Stay armed (when you can) and stay safe.

Geeze, and I thought it was tough live'n in the PRC!!

shootings in detroit

shootings in detroit. NO i can't believe that.
    years ago their use to have a commercal
    that said something like, "stand up and
    tell um your from detroit".
    the news reports seem to be the same,
    they just need to date.
    same story different day.
    good ole detroit, you gotta love it.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Detroit is beyond help. It's number 1 on my list of places to never go, no matter what.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I use to drive big rigs into Detroit. And I was armed. Very scary place.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Links