Bad And Very Ugly. Doctor Killed New Hubby Wounded

This is a discussion on Bad And Very Ugly. Doctor Killed New Hubby Wounded within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Doctor Killed on Antigua Honeymoon By ANIKA KENTISH filed under: Crime News, National News ST JOHN'S, Antigua (July 28) A British doctor was killed and ...

Thread: Bad And Very Ugly. Doctor Killed New Hubby Wounded

Administrator

Bad And Very Ugly. Doctor Killed New Hubby Wounded

Doctor Killed on Antigua Honeymoon
    By ANIKA KENTISH

filed under: Crime News, National News

ST JOHN'S, Antigua (July 28)

A British doctor was killed and her newlywed husband critically wounded in an apparent robbery at a beach hotel in Antigua, officials in the Caribbean island said Monday.

At least one gunman entered their cottage at Coco's Hotel before dawn Sunday and shot Catherine and Benjamin Mullany, Police Commissioner Gary Nelson said.

Authorities have questioned several people but have not made any arrests, Nelson said.

A special task force that includes police and members of the military set up checkpoints in the area of the attack and searched cars and people's backpacks for any leads, he said.

Benjamin Mullany was in critical condition at Holberton General Hospital in the Antiguan capital of St. John's, with a gunshot wound.

The couple, both 31, came to Antigua for a two-week honeymoon following their July 12 marriage, police said.

They were scheduled to return home Monday, their families said in a statement.

"We are deeply shocked and devastated at the recent events in Antigua and are struggling to comprehend what has happened to Ben and Catherine," the families said.

The wife was a doctor from the Pontardawe area of south Wales, the British Broadcasting Corp. reported.

Police Inspector Cornelius Charles said that the motive appeared to be robbery but authorities had not ruled out other possibilities.

Harold Lovell, tourism minister of the two-island nation of Antigua and Barbuda, met with guests at the hotel and said security would be increased in the area.
    The government offered to relocate any guests who wanted to leave.

Catherine Mullany is the 10th person slain so far this year in Antigua.

2. Remove Ads

That's real sad.

I looked up quickly Antigua gun laws but ahard a hard time figuring them out. But based on their British history, I would imagine that it would be pretty hard to get a permit (though I did find a few articels that seemed to indicate it was possible).

While I have never been to Antigua, I have vacationed in the Carribean. I can understand how these people let their guard down.

Quote Originally Posted by mapman View Post
    That's real sad.

I looked up quickly Antigua gun laws but ahard a hard time figuring them out. But based on their British history, I would imagine that it would be pretty hard to get a permit (though I did find a few articels that seemed to indicate it was possible).

While I have never been to Antigua, I have vacationed in the Carribean. I can understand how these people let their guard down.
    Kinda hard to keep your guard up in a room somebody breaks into armed with the purpose of robbing and possibly killing you,unless they had a balcony sliding door they left open,but if they locked all the doors before going to sleep and somebody broke in without being armed your kinda SOL
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Lived in the Caribbean for 11yrs, people don't understand the Islands are 3rd World nations. One has to be very aware & street smart, it's not just fun in the sun drinking rum punches. Justice if any is very slow, local vs. tourist, usually you'll end up losing.

Links