A Less Messy Ending ~ Home Invasion

This is a discussion on A Less Messy Ending ~ Home Invasion within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Daytona home invasion robber dies after struggling with victims Associated Press DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - A home-invasion robber died after struggling with the couple whose ...

Thread: A Less Messy Ending ~ Home Invasion

Administrator

Post A Less Messy Ending ~ Home Invasion

Daytona home invasion robber dies after struggling with victims
    Associated Press

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - A home-invasion robber died after struggling with the couple whose window he had kicked in.
    Shelly Laughman, 36, said she tried to lock the front door after the 44-year-old suspect punched it Sunday night, but the man, whose name was not immediately released, kicked in a plastic window and clawed in.
    "He had a crazy look in his eyes," she said, "and he mumbled something that sounded like I'm not here to hurt you."
    She screamed for her sleeping husband, Paul, 52. He wrestled with the man while his wife called police and retrieved a shotgun.
    With the gun pointed at him, the man was released and told to leave, but the couple said he rushed again.
    Shelly Laughman aimed the shotgun and pulled the trigger, but it didn't fire because the safety was still on.
    Eventually, Paul Laughman and a neighbor subdued the man again and police arrived.
    The man continued to fight with officers, and collapsed while being walked to a patrol car.
    Police said they tried to resuscitate the man and called rescue workers, but he was pronounced dead at Halifax Medical Center.
    "No weapon of any kind was used by police," said police Lt. C.H. Fordham at the scene.
    The Florida Department of Law Enforcement will investigate the cause of death.
    "I have no idea why he picked our yard," Shelly Laughman said. "That guy could've killed us, and I would've killed him if I could get that safety off."

2. Remove Ads

A non-shot stop?
    Lady needs some practice.
    I love a happy ending.
    simplyrugged.com

Get Trained Go Armed.

“Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.”
    Winston Churchill

Assistant Administrator
    Yes, happy ending - as it happens!!!!

I wonder how many times safeties - shotties in particular, have greatly affected the outcome of a situation.

Trouble is of course the vast majority of folks undertake all but zero practice, let alone what we might call training. Reminds me of a case where a victim died because the revo she picked up was unloaded - which gave the BG the opportunity he sought.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    The safety was on. Amazing the things that get forgotten under stress.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

In the long run, it's a happy ending.
    Hopefully taught a lesson to know the weapons you have and how to employ them.

Probably best for the lady she didn't shoot (since it all worked out that is), I know that if I can get my family and myself out of danger without having to pull the trigger I'd prefer it.
    "When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
    --Major General James Mattis, USMC

Semper Fi

must of had a heart attack from all the fighting ..

bet she will learn about that safety now

Administrator

Yep

I guessing heart attack. A fitting end since that is exactly what these home invaders do to innocent people.
    They bust their way in to a place where innocent folks feel the most safe and secure and scare them half to death. They give them nightmares for years & it REALLY affects them.

If a home invader somehow managed to burst into my house and then instantly started having a heart attack...I'm not so sure that I would call 911 right away.
    I dunno...I might have a cup of coffee & a doughnut before I picked up that phone.

From the actions of the BG I would suspect Drug induced heart failure.

Links