Homeowner shoots BG's-Good or Bad? - Port Arthur, TX

This is a discussion on Homeowner shoots BG's-Good or Bad? - Port Arthur, TX within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; KFDM Speaks With Port Arthur Shooting Suspect Comments 0 | Recommend 0 July 31, 2008 - 7:34PM Ashley Gaston A homeowner tells KFDM news he ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homeowner shoots BG's-Good or Bad? - Port Arthur, TX

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

Homeowner shoots BG's-Good or Bad? - Port Arthur, TX

KFDM Speaks With Port Arthur Shooting Suspect
    Comments 0 | Recommend 0
    July 31, 2008 - 7:34PM
    Ashley Gaston

A homeowner tells KFDM news he was protecting his life and property when he fired shots that killed a man and wounded a second person.

It happened at about four this morning in the 4000 block of Lexington Avenue in Port Arthur.

Robert O. Howard was released from custody after police questioned him, while investigators look into his claims of self defense.

Howard did not want to do an on-camera interview, but he allowed us to show you this picture of him that is on a table at his house.

Police say three men showed up at Howard's home and created a disturbance while they were outside, and threatened to kill Howard.

They argued for several minutes, and Howard said he would protect himself if necessary. Howard says the men left but then came back later and lifted up his mail slot and shouted that they were going to kill him and everyone in his house.

Howard said he went into a defensive mode and got a rifle from an electronic gun case in his home. He stepped onto his front porch and fired seven shots at the rear windshield of a truck the men were in. Howard said he feared for his life because burglars have 'twice' broken into his home.

Texas and several other states have passed a law known as the Castle doctrine that allows someone to use deadly force to defend themselves in their home, car and workplace.

"If you have given a warning, and you feel like there's imminent bodily injury, of course you have the right to protect yourself," said Deputy Chief Raymond Clark with the Port Arthur Police Department.

Did he shoot as they were driving off?I cannot tell.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    While I am not familar with VA's laws I don't believe this will be ruled as self-defense.

VIP Member
    It is in Texas. It is after dark. He is probably good.

Texas is the state where you can shoot someone for being on your property after dark. Other conditions may apply and obviously there is more to the story.

Police Release Shooting Suspect; Man Says He Was Defending Life & Property
    Scott Lawrence
    July 31, 2008 - 7:49AM

A man taken into custody for a fatal shooting has been released while Port Arthur Police investigate the man's contention he believed he was defending his life and property when he fired shots at two men, according to Lt. Troy LeBouef with the PAPD.

LeBouef says according to investigators, two men showed up at a home on Lexington Avenue and created a disturbance outside of the home.

They argued for several minutes, and according to Lt. LeBouef, the homeowner fired several shots through the rear windshield of a truck occupied by the two men just outside of the man's home in the 4000 block of Lexington. The truck rolled and struck trees and stopped in the 3900 block of Lexington.

One was struck in the back of the head and prounounced dead at the scene by Justice of the Peace Brad Burnett.

The second man was struck in the neck and pelvis. He's in serious condition at Christus Hospital St. Elizabeth.

Judge Burnett says it appears the shots came from a rifle.

Police are not yet releasing their names.

Police questioned the man who fired the shots and released him, but Lt. LeBouef says it's possible he could be arrested at a later date.

Major Raymond Clark says the man was released because investigators can't rule out self defense at this time.

He says the Department will gather evidence and present the case to the District Attorney's Office.

It will likely go to a grand jury to consider whether to indict the man who fired the shots.

Police are trying to determine how the men knew each other, and what led to the argument.

Stay with KFDM News for the latest on the story.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

As I read it, I give the home owner the edge.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    While I am not familar with VA's laws I don't believe this will be ruled as self-defense.
    Uh, what does VA's laws have to do with this post?

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    Uh, what does VA's laws have to do with this post?

My mistake I was thinking of Port Arthur VA, should have looked closer at the station call sign, K prefix is west of the Mississippi.

Under TX law he has a pas by technicality, and a jury of his peers will OJ him as well.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Huh? I don't see this as a clean deal. Yes, they threatened to kill him. But, they were outside his house, in their car--is that not right?

He had time to call the police; didn't. Had been part of the argument. Something tells me these weren't total strangers at his door.

I think the more prudent (and legally acceptable) course would have been to 911 it, and take up a defensive position somewhere in the house.

Unless he thought they were "fixin" to firebomb his place and he had no safe exit, I just don't see this as a good shoot.

The Horn case notwithstanding, it would usually be smarter to stay inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Huh? I don't see this as a clean deal. Yes, they threatened to kill him. But, they were outside his house, in their car--is that not right?

He had time to call the police; didn't. Had been part of the argument. Something tells me these weren't total strangers at his door.

I think the more prudent (and legally acceptable) course would have been to 911 it, and take up a defensive position somewhere in the house.

Unless he thought they were "fixin" to firebomb his place and he had no safe exit, I just don't see this as a good shoot.

The Horn case notwithstanding, it would usually be smarter to stay inside.
    agreed
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I'm from Texas and at the time they were shot they were off his property in a vehicle,even tho he claims they threatened him there was no immediate threat when he shot them he left his home and walked outside to confront and shoot them,there was no theft going on etc.If he was in such fear for his life why didn't he call the police when they left the first time.Sounds strange to me and they are still investigating,plus they have a live suspect they can question and if it's a different story and they believe him the shooter may end up being charged.I think it's a bad shoot even as liberal as our laws are
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The dead & wounded were in a pickup (I guess?), facing away from the shooter. Regardless of the threats made previously, the dead & wounded were not in a position to make an immediate (imminent being the key to striking the first blow) attack.

I think it's a bad shoot and the shooter is probably in deep dodo, in Texas or anywhere else.
    Last edited by KenInColo; August 1st, 2008 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Spelling
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'm from Texas and at the time they were shot they were off his property in a vehicle,even tho he claims they threatened him there was no immediate threat when he shot them he left his home and walked outside to confront and shoot them,there was no theft going on etc.If he was in such fear for his life why didn't he call the police when they left the first time.Sounds strange to me and they are still investigating,plus they have a live suspect they can question and if it's a different story and they believe him the shooter may end up being charged.I think it's a bad shoot even as liberal as our laws are
    See, always a bit more to the story. Be interesting to see what plays out.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Get the bacon and eggs ready....he's toast. They were outside, not an immediate threat to anyone. He had time to call 911 and chose not to. He stepped outside to confront and was part of an earlier argument.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Lets wait till the facts are in, but my bet is that these guys were in their truck retrieving tools to break in his door or possibly weapons. I don't know about you guys, but if that were my house, I for one am not going to let those BG's gain any kind of advantage so they can launch an attack at me and my family in my home.

I will say this: the two mistakes the guy made was not calling 911 after the first altercation to report terroristic threats, and leaving BG's alive to testify. Having that information reported would definitely help later on. I hope the best for him, we will see what the grand jury has to say.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I think theres a lot more to this story,we will wait to see what the investigation reveals but it looks shady to me
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links