Michigan Gunman Kills 3 wounds 1 (BAD) (Merged)

This is a discussion on Michigan Gunman Kills 3 wounds 1 (BAD) (Merged) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Authorities: 4 shot near Wis.-Mich. state line 2 hours, 16 minutes ago Authorities were searching for a man wearing camouflage clothing and carrying a rifle ...

Authorities: 4 shot near Wis.-Mich. state line 2 hours, 16 minutes ago

Authorities were searching for a man wearing camouflage clothing and carrying a rifle on Friday after four people were shot, three fatally, near the Wisconsin-Michigan state line.

Chief Deputy Jerry Sauve of the Marinette County Sheriff's Department said his office got a call around 6 p.m. Thursday of a shooting in the town of Niagara along the Menominee River.

Eric Burmeister, director of emergency management for Marinette County, said the first shooting occurred at about 5:30 p.m. and others followed. He confirmed that three people were killed and one was wounded.

The victims' identities have not been released.

Burmeister said the gunman, whom he described as a middle-age man wearing camouflage and armed with an assault rifle, was last seen in a wooded area near Niagara.

A command post was set up for state and other law enforcement personnel being brought in to help sheriff's officials investigate what Sauve called an "active shooter situation."

Niagara is located in far northern Marinette County, just across the Menominee River from Dickinson County in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.
    What is wrong with these people thinking that shooting a bunch of innocent people will somehow get them the attention they crave,when they start tying these guys up in the town square and stoning them to death they might start rethinking their insanity
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Camoflauged gunman guns down 4 in WI

NIAGARA, Wisconsin (AP) -- A man wearing camouflage clothing and carrying an assault rifle walked out of the woods and shot four young people who had gathered at a river to go swimming, killing three of them and wounding one.
    Camo gunman shoots four out for a swim - CNN.com

-JT

Murderers are everywhere, in our midst. The only thing guarding against such things are people armed against such things. I'd like to think that government hacks and sort-of-judges will get this through their thick skulls at some point prior to the last upstanding citizen being killed.

Wisconsin. I wonder if they were legally disallowed from packing protection.

My heart goes out to the families of the innocents. May they quickly find peace through this trying time.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    It is always disheartening to hear of such senseless tragedy. Perhaps if Wisconsin allowed for lawful possession & carry this could have been averted or minimized by a citizen who had the capability to defend him or herself.

Change the title!!!

That should be Wisconsin gunman kills 3 Michigan people.Terrible no matter where the gunman is from,but Michigan has enough bad press already.

I really like the way the toss in assault rife when the BG hasn't been captured or killed (my 1st choice) yet.
    I wonder if they stumbled into his grow field, meth labl, etc.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I would doubt that the threat of public execution, no matter how painful, would deter any of these deranged murderers. Most of them are fully prepared to die by cop execution or to take themselves out.

Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    I really like the way the toss in assault rife when the BG hasn't been captured or killed (my 1st choice) yet.
    He shot a rifled round. He committed aggravated assault and murder. Unknown what firearm he carried.

Yup. The "assault" was his action, not the hardware he happened to carry. About as relevant as saying his camo fatigues were an assault (which they might well have been, due to ugliness). Silly, isn't it?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    I wonder if they stumbled into his grow field, meth labl, etc.
    I stumbled across a few plots of cultivated pot a couple years ago in a State Forest. Nobody was there but can you imagine if they saw me? Now I always hike armed.

What a tragedy - my prayers to the families of the victims.

let's ban camouflage...that'll fix the problem.

expect more of these local stories to make national headlines...it's an election year and there is a massive gun grabber running for president.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

They did catch this scumbag coward...more on tonight's news.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Man arrested in river ambush on 3 Wis. swimmers By DINESH RAMDE, Associated Press Writer
    1 hour, 25 minutes ago

A dragnet ended Friday with the arrest of a man accused of emerging from woods in camouflage and opening fire with an assault rifle on a group of young swimmers who had gathered at a river. Three were killed and another wounded.

Scott J. Johnson, 38, was in camouflage as he walked out of some woods near the scene of the shooting and dropped his weapon as officers approached, said Jerry Sauve, chief's sheriff's deputy in Marinette County.

Johnson, from the nearby town of Iron Mountain, Mich., had not been formally charged and it was not immediately known whether he had an attorney.

"We believe he was in the woods and near our officers who were also in the woods all night," Sauve said at a news conference.

The motive remained unclear, Sauve said. Johnson was taken to jail to await an initial court appearance that was not immediately scheduled.

More than 100 law enforcement officers from at least 10 agencies were called in to hunt for the gunman in Thursday's attack. Authorities had set up roadblocks and evacuated some homes in the northern Wisconsin area just across the state line from Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

Marinette County Sheriff Jim Kanikula said there was no communication between the gunman and his victims. The shooter was only 7 to 10 feet away from one victim when he fired on the group of nine young people who had gathered near a railroad bridge on the Menominee River, he said.

"There's a saying up here that this is a great place to raise kids," said Randy Van Gasse, the school superintendent in nearby Norway, Mich., where 17-year-old victim Tiffany Pohlson would have been a senior in the fall.

"That's been violated and we don't know why," he said. "This is obviously a shock to everybody."

The other dead were identified as Anthony Spigarelli, 18; and Bryan Mort, 19. A fourth victim, 20-year-old Daniel Louis Gordon, was wounded. All were also from Michigan.

Niagara is about 210 miles north of Milwaukee.

___
    Apparently the guy just walked up on them and gunned them down for no apparent reason,I guess he just wanted society to support him for the rest of his life,In cut and dried cases like this we take to long to execute these criminals,in cases where there is absolutely no doubt upon conviction give them their last meal and put them down before they digest it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

This was sad news - unfortunately personal security is often "assumed" in places that are away from the big cities.

I grew up in the UP...then moved to Detroit...then back to the UP for a while. It was only after moving back that I had red flags going up in the back of my mind when heading out into the woods - red flags that developed while learning how to be aware of the "good" and "bad" areas in the big city. I found this quite surprising, since in many ways I had gone back "home" into the woods where I had grown up and should have felt most secure.

You tell these things to folks that never _really_ ventured to the big city and they are just incredulous.

best,

Dave

Links