BAD: Girl, 15, shot during robbery - St. Louis

This is a discussion on BAD: Girl, 15, shot during robbery - St. Louis within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; STLtoday - Girl, 15, is shot on street in Florissant Girl, 15, is shot on street in Florissant Sketch of suspect in Florissant shooting (Handout)By ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BAD: Girl, 15, shot during robbery - St. Louis

STLtoday - Girl, 15, is shot on street in Florissant

Girl, 15, is shot on street in Florissant

Sketch of suspect in Florissant shooting
    (Handout)By Patrick M. O'Connell and Kim Bell
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    07/25/2008

FLORISSANT When Heather Alderson heard the crackling sound outside her house late Wednesday night, she believed it was fireworks. Then she heard screaming. Alderson ran outside and found a 15-year-old girl slumped on the sidewalk.

"I said, 'Are you OK?' and she said, 'No, I've been shot,'" said Alderson, who then called 911 from her cell phone.

Police said Thursday that the girl was shot by one of two men who approached her and another 15-year-old girl near the intersection of the southern spur of Spring Drive and South New Florissant Road.

The girls were walking home from a friend's house about 11:40 p.m. when the men demanded the girls' purses. One of the men flashed a pistol. One girl clutched her purse and ran. The other girl was shot in the chest and her purse was taken, police said.

The men jumped into a green coupe-type car similar to a Pontiac and sped off, police said. The shooter is a man in his late teens, police said.

Florissant Police Chief Bill Karabas and Mayor Robert Lowery said the girl is a student-athlete at McCluer North High School. They said Thursday evening she is listed in serious but stable condition and is improving at an area hospital.

"She's doing better," Lowery said.

The girl was conscious at the scene and able to talk with police when they arrived. The other girl returned, upset, to check on her friend, Alderson said. Based on the girls' descriptions of the attackers and some accounts of witnesses driving by, police have been able to develop of composite sketch of the suspected gunman.

"They're doing everything humanly possible and following all leads," Lowery said. "I'm confident we'll find who did this."

Karabas and residents said the area has had a few car break-ins and the occasional burglary but nothing violent.

"Nothing major like this," said Alderson, 27. "It's scary."

The Major Case Squad is assisting police with the investigation. Anyone with information should call Florissant police at 314-831-7000.

poconnell@post-dispatch.com | 314-863-2821
    Just heard on the news they caught 3 guys who were involved in the shooting. The girl was doing better tonight but I missed the details.

Many of the BG mug shots are beginning to look the same to me. These young men need to be put away for a long, long time.

Put away, as in dirt naps works for me. No repeat offenders.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    +1 on that!

No redemption for shooting down a 15 year old girl for her purse.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Dirt naps is great but it takes 20 years to do it.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    Dirt naps is great but it takes 20 years to do it.
    If they made it public it'd be worth it!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Amen to that.

The dirt naps sound great, but what are 15 y.o. doing out walking the streets at 11:20 at night. Do they not have curfews?
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I agree!!
    "Brains before Bullets"

Doesn't take 20 years if you smoke 'em where they stand at the scene of the crime....

I know, a 15 yr. old girl isn't going to have a ccw permit... but for those who do...
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    The dirt naps sound great, but what are 15 y.o. doing out walking the streets at 11:20 at night. Do they not have curfews?
    When I was growing up, a lot of 15 year olds had 12:00 curfews by parents... mine was 11:00 during summer & 9:00 during school year.

But that was different times, and neighborhoods were a lot safer too.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Smoke 'em first, then the dirtnap...a free '2 fer'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Why are a 15 yr. old girls, in that community, out alone walking the streets at 11:40P?!

What parent, who is a sane thinking rational and reponsible parent, would allow their child and their childs friend to walk out the door of their home at that hour muchless to "walk home".

Now some might counter they should be able to do so at any hour.
    And I'd say yes you're right, in some other TV land based reality. But here in the real world most everyone knows ish goes down after dark be you a child or adult and wherever.

The parent of the home from which they left should be investigated, IMHO.
    And the parent of the home to which they were walking is due for a head check too, above and beyond this specific wake up call.

This was completely avoidable had one of either child parents taken a moment to think about what they were doing.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Well, don't know the neighborhood... but I often walked 'home' from friends houses that time of night. But I lived in a different time then now.

I never let my 'daughter' do it.... I'ld go get her. Any more, if I had a son that age... I wouldn't let him do it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    What parent, who is a sane thinking rational and reponsible parent, would allow their child and their childs friend to walk out the door of their home at that hour muchless to "walk home".
    Janq, I think you answered your own question within your question.

I know growing up, when I was mixed in with the wrong crowd, and we were out this later it was because we were up to no good.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

dirt nap is a great option ,but don't over look the merits of leaving them hang in the court yard or impaled next to the towns welcome sign as a message to future miscreants instead of the Mr Rodgers finger wag BG's can now expect
    Never approach a Bull from the front , a Horse from the rear or a Fool from any direction!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links