Man uses .45 to defend his dog from pit bull attack - Oakland Park, FL

This is a discussion on Man uses .45 to defend his dog from pit bull attack - Oakland Park, FL within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here we go again (I know this will bring a lot of criticism, but the story, I think, speaks for itself. Man uses gun to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Man uses .45 to defend his dog from pit bull attack - Oakland Park, FL

Man uses .45 to defend his dog from pit bull attack - Oakland Park, FL

Here we go again (I know this will bring a lot of criticism, but the story, I think, speaks for itself.

Man uses gun to defend his dog from pit bull attack -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

August 2, 2008

OAKLAND PARK

An Oakland Park man says he shot a pit bull after it escaped from its owner's backyard and attacked his dog Friday morning.

Anthony Dippolito, 49, will not be cited, and the pit bull was euthanized at the owner's request, according to the Broward Sheriff's Office.

The pit bull got out of its owner's backyard and trotted into Dippolito's yard a few houses down in the 800 block of Northeast 39th Street . just before 8:15 a.m., he said.

"I heard my dog scream like a little baby outside," Dippolito said.

He said he saw the pit bull's owner, Eugene Miller, 37, beating on the dog that had latched onto the neck of Crystal, Dippolito's 5-year-old mixed breed boxer.

Dippolito said he picked up a 10-pound satellite dish and bashed the pit bull several times, but the dog shrugged it off.

It wasn't Dippolito's first pet that had been attacked by a pit bull. In June 2007, he came home from vacation to discover his cat had been killed by a pack of the dogs.

On Friday, he rushed into his bedroom and grabbed his .45-caliber handgun.

Dippolito said he came back out and shot the pit bull in the rib cage.

The pit bull made no sound, let go of the dog, and stared at Dippolito, he said.

Miller said he walked home with the pit bull, named Nikita, that he adopted three years ago. She left behind a trail of blood, he said.

He drove to two animal hospitals—the first one had no surgeon available. At Academy Animal Hospital in Oakland Park, Miller said he learned that Nikita suffered from internal bleeding and decided to have her euthanized. The dog had issues with cats but had never fought with dogs before, Miller said. Dippolito's boxer was the first.

"It hurts," he said. "A pet can be replaced, I know, but he could have had more patience. But what can you do? It wasn't a good situation."

Animal control officials are investigating.

Dippolito said he was relieved his dog suffered only some gashes and a quarter-sized hole in her neck, but he's sorry he had to resort to shooting its attacker.

"I'm an animal lover, and I'm absolutely horrified by what I did this morning," he said.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

Im perfectly ok with it.

Attacking dog dosnt comply with lesser force to stop its attack.

I love dogs and all animals in general. But if something comes on my property and is trying to kill my dog I will show 0 hesitation doing the same as this man did.

"...but he could have had more patience"
    You mean like be patient enough for you to beat the dog with a satellite dish and it not have any effect, then for him to go to his bedroom and get his gun and come back out, all while your Pitt Bull makes a meal out of his dog? You mean that kind of patience, or is there another kind?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

One of the issues here that I wanted to read about is the fact that is was a shoot to protect a dog from another dog. Happens quite a bit, but I don't know how I would react. I'd probably shoot it. Pets are property but I don't know how the law treats something like this. I do know a dog attacking a human is ok to shoot, I've had to do it here in MI and there was no charges.

Something to think about. My wife is getting a dog this next weekend.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    ... My wife is getting a dog this next weekend.
    I sure hope she's not planning to get a Pit Bull!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Nope, one of them frickin' Yorkie-Poos. It's a friend's dog and they don't have the time for him anymore so my wife (read: we) are taking it. **shakes head**
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Nope, one of them frickin' Yorkie-Poos.
    Oh c'mon, terriers are cute. I am attaching a thumbnail of my West Highland Terrier.

Ooops, I forgot.... pit bulls are terriers too! Yikes!
    Attached Images
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Administrator
    Nope, one of them frickin' Yorkie-Poos. It's a friend's dog and they don't have the time for him anymore so my wife (read: we) are taking it. **shakes head**
    It'll be OK... I was never a fan of ankle biters either, but my wife bought me a Jack Russel last summer, and he is one cool dog. He thinks he is a pit bull. Nothing leaves the backyard alive anymore. Birds, squirrels, rabbits whatever, he doesn't discriminate.

He's my kids best friend too (or at least he thinks so)
    "Just blame Sixto"

First I would kill the Dog, then I would take that satellite dish and bash the owner with it until he was senseless. Sorry if I seem a little extreme, but I was the victim of an attempted attack about 12 years ago (like the pet owner in this story, I ended my incident with a .45 as well) and one thing that has not changed in all that time is how"shocked" the owners are at the viciousness of their "pet".
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I have no problem with what this guy had to do to stop the attack. I have two dogs and would do the same if they were attacked like this. Even shooting it with a .45 only stopped the dog's attack, it didn't kill it outright. Good grief that is one powerful dog.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Thank goodness I have cable, Next thing you know the anti are going to ask for regulations on satellite dish control.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It'll be OK... I was never a fan of ankle biters either, but my wife bought me a Jack Russel last summer, and he is one cool dog. He thinks he is a pit bull. Nothing leaves the backyard alive anymore. Birds, squirrels, rabbits whatever, he doesn't discriminate.

He's my kids best friend too (or at least he thinks so)
    JRTs are cool, but anything else is like a rat on a string. I grew up with Golden Retrievers all my life so that's my size of dog; back should be above my knees, about mid thigh is perfect.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I just saw the video of this on the news where they had security cam footage of the event. It was pretty amazing. The attack actually lasted for a goodly amount of time.

At the end of the video, the dead dog's owner said he felt no animosity toward Dippolito, but thought Dippolito "jumped the gun" and should have tried something else "like a water hose" before shooting.

Somehow if beating with fists (by the dog's owner) and beating with a satellite dish (by Dippolito) didn't work, I doubt spraying water would have been anything other than refreshing for the attacking dog.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

VIP Member
    One of the issues here that I wanted to read about is the fact that is was a shoot to protect a dog from another dog. Happens quite a bit, but I don't know how I would react. I'd probably shoot it. Pets are property but I don't know how the law treats something like this. I do know a dog attacking a human is ok to shoot, I've had to do it here in MI and there was no charges.

Something to think about. My wife is getting a dog this next weekend.
    How the law treats this depends. Technically when you shoot someone else's dog it is destruction of property. The shooting part may get you shooting in city limits or near an occupied dwelling etc. However, I have to believe that the prosecutor would weigh the circumstances and knowing that he needs to be re-elected would not charge someone in a case like this. Keep in mind I speak only from the perspective of Virginia and only based on the article for this incident. Other states and jurisdictions will vary.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
    At the end of the video, the dead dog's owner said he felt no animosity toward Dippolito, but thought Dippolito "jumped the gun" and should have tried something else "like a water hose" before shooting.

Somehow if beating with fists (by the dog's owner) and beating with a satellite dish (by Dippolito) didn't work, I doubt spraying water would have been anything other than refreshing for the attacking dog.
    I believe if it was my dog that was being attacked and the owner of the attacking dog could not get it off immediately with commands, I go instantly with my carry weapon if it's on me. I'm not about to start hitting on a bulldog with any object and have it start attacking me.
    I know what bulldogs are capable of and they have incredible speed. Years ago I walked into an apartment of a guy (as a guest) that had a bulldog. From across the room his bulldog advanced on me in a fraction of a second. I had absolutely no time to react. Luckily he had superior command control of his dog.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links