Armed Citizen Success Story, Location Unknown

This is a discussion on Armed Citizen Success Story, Location Unknown within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I received this in an e-mail from the Montana Shooting Sports Association today. From defense instructor/writer John Farnam: 27 July 08 Success story, from a ...

Thread: Armed Citizen Success Story, Location Unknown

1943 - 2009

I received this in an e-mail from the Montana Shooting Sports Association today.

From defense instructor/writer John Farnam:

27 July 08

Success story, from a female student:

"Last week, I had just returned home from shopping. My house is set back from the street and up forty stairs. Shrubs on both sides of the stairway obscure the view and severely restrict any exit except down the stairs. When I arrived home, I parked my car in the driveway, carried a load of groceries up to the house, then returned to the car to bring up the last load.

As I got my arms full again, I heard a man's voice saying, 'Hey lady! I have something to sell you.' I turned to see a strange man, scrubby, dirty, and poorly dressed, advancing on me from the street. I replied, 'I'm not interested,' and started walking quickly toward the stairs.

The man followed. I turned toward him and said sternly, 'I'm not interested. Get off my property!' He replied, 'Let me come in and show you what I have for sale.' He continued to advance on me. I abruptly dropped my packages, got my hand on my snubby revolver, and ran up the stairs to my front door, entered my house, and locked the door behind me.

Once inside, I called 911 and reported an 'assault-in-progress.' I took a breath, thinking the man had probably left.

No such luck!

The man appeared at my doorway and started pounding and kicking the locked door, yelling, "Let me in! Let me in!" Still on the line, the 911 operator, hearing the pounding, said, 'What is that?' I replied, 'Operator, send the police now! A violent felon is breaking into my house!'

Having only marginal faith in the stoutness of my front door, I retreated up the stairs to a landing. I used a support post for cover as I pointed my revolver at the door. I calculated I would be shooting down (safe backstop), plus the attacker would not see me right away. Fortunately, I had thought about, and rehearsed, all this before, so there was no hesitation on my part.

I shouted, 'Go away! I've called the police, and they are on the way. I have a gun, and I will shoot!

The pounding abruptly stopped, and I could hear him running back down the stairs. From an upstairs window, I saw a faded van drive up, pick the man up, and drive away. Never saw him again!

Police were there minutes afterward. They indicated that what I had experienced fit the MO of a gang of grubs that had spread out over the neighborhood lately.

The moral of this story for me is the confirmation of the value of my professional defensive handgun training and my ongoing practice with my Training Group. My pistol was loaded, as always, with high-performance ammunition, and I entertained no uncertainty with regard to my ability to stop this felon with gunfire, and I was fully prepared to do so, without hesitation.

Happily, it was not necessary, this time!"

Lessons:

(1) Be alert! Pay attention. Keep your head up. Have a well-tuned ability to detect trouble in the making. The more time you have to prepare yourself and refine your Plan accordingly, the better the outcome.

(2) Face facts! Don't con yourself. Don't delude yourself into thinking you're not really seeing what is in front of you.

(3) Have a Plan! Know your Plan. Rehearse your Plan. But, don't fall in love with your Plan! Those without a plan will predictably dither and die!

(4) Stern, clear, uncluttered verbal challenges will often prevent the necessity of using deadly force. Verbal challenges need to be short, to the point, one-way, and unequivocal. Don't bluff, and don't engage in a conversation!

(5) Be armed! Like wearing seatbelts when in a car, you can't know when they will be necessary, so you wear them all the time!

(6) Stay in motion! Get your feet out of cement. A moving target is a difficult target.

(7) There is no substitute for competent firearms training and continuous practice. When you've never taken lessons, it is unlikely you'll be able to suddenly sit down in front of a piano and make music, no matter how nice a piano it is!

(8) Be prepared to go it alone. Don't wait to be rescued! Even a relatively fast response police is still far too slow to make any difference in the outcome of most life-threatening situations. When you are not prepared to handle it yourself, right now, without assistance from anyone, you probably won't live through it.

(9) Do whatever is necessary, at the critical moment, without hesitation. Don't worry about being perfect, and don't look back!

(10) Lose your fear of dying! There are no guarantees in this life, and, in the end, we're all dead anyway. Who look for "fairness" in the way the world is ordered, do so in vain!

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Smart lady...alert...pre-practiced...ready for business!

Stay armed...be aware...practice...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That to me does not read like the direct first person statement of a female.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

- Janq
    Ditto...and my favorite: "A violent felon is breaking into my house!'

Rick

As far as no supporting article of origin That is pretty much what you should do,I on the other hand wouldn't let him know the cops were on the way and I was armed if they are stupid enough to kick in my door I'm gonna give them a booby prize
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

1943 - 2009

- Janq
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Ditto...and my favorite: "A violent felon is breaking into my house!'

Rick
    Any more constructive criticism to add?

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    YES! The lessons learned in her story are right on target and worth repeating!

(1) Be alert! Pay attention. Keep your head up. Have a well-tuned ability to detect trouble in the making. The more time you have to prepare yourself and refine your Plan accordingly, the better the outcome.

(2) Face facts! Don't con yourself. Don't delude yourself into thinking you're not really seeing what is in front of you.

(3) Have a Plan! Know your Plan. Rehearse your Plan. But, don't fall in love with your Plan! Those without a plan will predictably dither and die!

(4) Stern, clear, uncluttered verbal challenges will often prevent the necessity of using deadly force. Verbal challenges need to be short, to the point, one-way, and unequivocal. Don't bluff, and don't engage in a conversation!

(5) Be armed! Like wearing seatbelts when in a car, you can't know when they will be necessary, so you wear them all the time!

(6) Stay in motion! Get your feet out of cement. A moving target is a difficult target.

(7) There is no substitute for competent firearms training and continuous practice. When you've never taken lessons, it is unlikely you'll be able to suddenly sit down in front of a piano and make music, no matter how nice a piano it is!

(8) Be prepared to go it alone. Don't wait to be rescued! Even a relatively fast response police is still far too slow to make any difference in the outcome of most life-threatening situations. When you are not prepared to handle it yourself, right now, without assistance from anyone, you probably won't live through it.

(9) Do whatever is necessary, at the critical moment, without hesitation. Don't worry about being perfect, and don't look back!

(10) Lose your fear of dying! There are no guarantees in this life, and, in the end, we're all dead anyway. Who look for "fairness" in the way the world is ordered, do so in vain!
    #2 is critically important! So many people stay in a state of denial for way too long! Often times that comes from those who have not prepared or trained for the eventuality that a lethal threat can happen to them.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

The commentary is not a critique, it's merely an observation.
    Women tend not to talk or write like that and the tale is sold and told as being by a female.

As to the "violent felon" I too picked up on that as well.
    The victim does not know that the victimizer is a 'felon'.
    I figured that must be some sort of get here right now immediately ploy by the victim to secure 911 assistance as quickly as possible outside of stating there is a rape or child in danger.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

1943 - 2009
    The commentary is not a critique, it's merely an observation.
    Women tend not to talk or write like that and the tale is sold and told as being by a female.

As to the "violent felon" I too picked up on that as well.
    The victim does not know that the victimizer is a 'felon'.
    I figured that must be some sort of get here right now immediately ploy by the victim to secure 911 assistance as quickly as possible outside of stating there is a rape or child in danger.

- Janq
    Well, John Farnam has an excellent reputation in the shooting instructor's community, so what reason would he have for concocting a tall tale? In the absence of any proof to the contrary, I have to take this as a truthful story.

The 'violent felon" thing probably was a ploy, but a darned good one.
    Maybe Farnam teaches this.

Instead of dwelling on the supposed overdramatization angle, we should focus on the lessons learned. That's the meat of the story.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    No, it does not read as though written by a woman. As for "why would Farnum fake it?" A teaching tool.

The BG described was, in all probability, trying to commit a felony. The "felon" description is defendable.

In any event …whether or not the post is True or False...It outlined defensive techniques and behaviors (not to always shoot first)...Thanks for the post...

She forgot: (11) The police are not going to save you.

Well, John Farnam has an excellent reputation in the shooting instructor's community, so what reason would he have for concocting a tall tale? In the absence of any proof to the contrary, I have to take this as a truthful story.
    I have friends and family that forward things to me all the time that aren't real. That doesn't mean they're concocting tall tales. It doesn't make them liars or anything else. Often it takes me about 2 minutes to find the things on snopes. This seems new.

I'm gonna guess it was sent to Farnam by some well meaning person trying to teach lessons. It reads like many urban legends (Urban Legends FAQ: What is an urban legend?), and I'm not personally not buying it as reality. I don't know anything about women and writing styles, but even if it was based on a real event, I'm not buying the dialogue.

It's still a good tale for many people to read.

(10) Lose your fear of dying! There are no guarantees in this life, and, end the end, we're all dead anyway.
    I'm not sure how that was a lesson in the story, or why I'd want to teach that to women who may or may not be interested in self defense, but I'm no defense instructor either.

Sponsored Links