Grandpa shoots boy while aiming for dog

This is a discussion on Grandpa shoots boy while aiming for dog within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not sure how to link, but here goes: Grandpa shoots boy while aiming for dog | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press Basically, the guy shot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grandpa shoots boy while aiming for dog

Grandpa shoots boy while aiming for dog

Not sure how to link, but here goes:
    Grandpa shoots boy while aiming for dog | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Basically, the guy shot a pit bull that was attacking his grandson. The bullet went through the dog and hit the boy in the thigh. The boy seems like he'll recover, the dog ran off.

The grandfather wasn't being totally reckless-- I heard on the radio after the bullet passed through the dog, it richocheted off the sidewalk. I'll try to track down a print version that has this additional fact.

It's a breaking story, so I'll have to give it some time before giving my take on the incident. Another news source says police "haven't been able to confirm if the dog was about to attack the youngster" or if, as one account says, the dog was actually already on the boy.
    http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...ETRO/808060434
    Last edited by Wilhelm; August 6th, 2008 at 03:06 PM. Reason: additional information

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Ouch that's a tough call. I guess grandpaw wasn't physically able to beat the crap out of the dog in order to get the boy loose before shooting the dog.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Yeah, from initial reports it looks like a tough call, but still have to wait and see how it all shakes out. If the dog wasn't actually on the boy or, worse situation for the shooter, was not even moving towards the boy . . .

Here's another account:
    Grandpa Accidentally Shoots Boy
    "Detroit police said a 60-year-old man shot a pit bull in his driveway because he saw the dog coming toward his grandson and thought he was going to attack him."

Key points: a) on the shooters own property and b) he THOUGHT dog was GOING to attack (is this significantly different from "WAS attacking"?)

This account goes on to say the boy is in serious condition and the dog was taken by Animal Control.

Have to get to work, but I hope others update as new "facts" emerge, then start the after action reports.

tough call, sounds like the guy may have made a poor judgement on firing from a position that placed the boy in as much danger as the dog.

how far away was the guy when he shot the dog, it could have been friendly, but I wasn't there so can't make any assumptions.
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm View Post
    Key points: a) on the shooters own property and b) he THOUGHT dog was GOING to attack (is this significantly different from "WAS attacking"?)
    Not for me. I have seen the damage these useless dogs can cause. I will not wait for it to attack before I dispatch it. I would however take every precaution that I could to make sure there is no collateral damage.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

At what point is it an actual attack? Only after contact occurs?

I've had an aggressive dog rush me before and he only stopped when he was within a few feet, perhaps because I was picking up rocks to throw. Everything about his actions up to that point indicated an attack in progress. (Incidentally, that was the last time I've been in public unarmed, barring a few visits to the police station and a few federal facilities.)

I say a dog can be in full attack mode before contact is made.

The situation in the OP has some similarities to domestic violence: do you wait for the actual violence to occur before you take action? IMO that would not be wise.

The fact that the dog and boy were both hit with the same bullet indicates they were in close proximity. Grandpa feared for the boy's safety, and fired.

Until I hear more, I'll side with the Grandpa. Glad the attack was stopped, and glad the boy wasn't hurt worse.

Track the dog down and finshi it off.

Seriously I can't fault the Grandfather too much from the word so far. How old was the boy etc...... Not ready to hagn granddad yet.

Senior Moderator
    I am not going to wait for any dog, especially a pit bull to hit me before I shoot it. I've seen the damage they can do and it is never pretty.

I don't fault the guy for shooting, I'm sure he shot to prevent his grandson from being maimed or killed. It is unfortunate that the bullet hit his grandson, but we don't dictate the terms of the attack, we just react to them to the best of our ability, and usually it is not an ideal situation.

This was one of those "no win" situations. I'm just glad that his grandson came through it OK.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

It amazes me , truly, that someone is being attacked by a dog and someone 'shoots' at the dog from a distance. Run up, put the pistol to the dogs head and pull the darn trigger. Dog will not run off, attack is over, and you don't hit anyone else. A baseball bat to a dog's head will kill it about instantly too in these types of cases.

I'm an avid dog lover.... but not when they attack a kid or are vicious. Then all bets are off.

A boy in Michigan just lost his arm to a pit bull attack.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    I agree with Hotguns.

But, Gramps needs a better load for that rifle.

But, but those pitbulls, you've just got to get to know them. Their really nice dogs, I swear.

If I had for every time I heard that, after someone has been severley bitten, I could puchase another LMT MRP Upper and Defender lower with the SOPMOD stock.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    It amazes me , truly, that someone is being attacked by a dog and someone 'shoots' at the dog from a distance. Run up, put the pistol to the dogs head and pull the darn trigger. Dog will not run off, attack is over, and you don't hit anyone else. A baseball bat to a dog's head will kill it about instantly too in these types of cases.
    Well, for one, I still like being a part of this forum...therefore I won't just tell you the truth, or where you are wrong. A ball bat against a put bull's head will just likely tee 'em off (the first swing). Run up to the dog eh? Good one! That would likely break off the attack of the pursued and turn towards you...ya ready for that? Instantly huh? Take your own gamble on that one.

With a pit bull dog, and even a possible attack on the boy....I think he'll fair better in the hospital recovering from the bullet wound than any attack from a chasing pit-bull. A 9 year old could be nothing but a quivering pile of flesh after a full on attack by a pit bull dog.

Get real.

Yeah, vicious dog attack is far worse than a non-lethal .22 shot, generally...

Sounds like grandpa hit his target. Regrettable that it hit the boy, but it sounds like a good shoot, generally.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links