Good: Dairy-owner 'had to shoot' to save lives [Using an air pistol]

This is a discussion on Good: Dairy-owner 'had to shoot' to save lives [Using an air pistol] within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As reported by The New Zealand Herald: Dairy-owner 'had to shoot' to save lives 5:00AM Friday August 08, 2008 By Jarrod Booker A man who ...

Thread: Good: Dairy-owner 'had to shoot' to save lives [Using an air pistol]

Good: Dairy-owner 'had to shoot' to save lives [Using an air pistol]

As reported by The New Zealand Herald:

Dairy-owner 'had to shoot' to save lives
    5:00AM Friday August 08, 2008
    By Jarrod Booker

A man who shot at armed robbers holding up his dairy says he will not hesitate to pull his air pistol again if he and his wife are threatened.

Police cannot rule out charging the Christchurch shop owner, who claims he hit one of the masked men in the face, but say it is not being considered as they focus on catching the robbers.

"We can't say 100 per cent it's never going to happen," Detective Anita Paterson told the Herald.

She added: "We would be more than happy if the [robbers] would like to come forward and make a complaint".

Nike, a Chinese immigrant, said he felt he had to use the air pistol to save his life, and that of his wife, Niec, after the "animals" burst into his dairy on Monday night - one waving a long knife in a chopping motion at him.

There was no time to try to reason with the men, whose faces were covered with blue bandannas.

"I am very sure I have done ... the right thing," he said.

"Let the public judge if it is right or if it is wrong. We are good people. If my wife is here, I would do everything to protect my wife."

Nike said he was acting on instinct, while dodging the swinging knife, when his wife reached under the counter for the pistol and handed it to him.

He fired five or six times, before the pistol's magazine fell out, and believes most of the shots hit the men.

"They try to kill you from the very start. The shooting worked. It successfully stopped the next step to hurting us."

The second man began panicking, and Nike's wife started throwing whatever she could reach at them, including a hand-held phone.

One of the men grabbed the till off the counter before the pair fled.

The local community have rallied behind Nike and his wife since the robbery. Customers have praised Nike for his actions and brought in gifts.

One customer even installed security cameras in the shop free of charge.

Nike got the air pistol in after the fatal shooting of Manurewa liquor store owner Navtej Singh in June.

While police's response time in that case was questioned, Nike was full of praise for how quickly police got to his dairy after the robbery.

Ms Paterson said there was a risk that in pulling the air pistol the situation could have been worse, and police did not encourage such actions.

The story can be found at; Dairy-owner 'had to shoot' to save lives - 08 Aug 2008 - NZ Herald: New Zealand National news

- Janq

Thoughts:
    Though this occurred in a country other than the US, IMHO this man with his situation, mindset, and resulting action is the poster child for not only what the U.S. Second Amendment is about but also toward what I have often stated that the right to bear arms toward specific intent of defense against tyranny is a basic human right. The right to defend ones self, their family, and/or their property is not some concept specific and indigenous to the US alone. is not, never has been, and as long as man exists outside our borders never will be.
    Further this also underlines the truth that caliber is less so important as precision of aim toward effectiveness in _STOPPING_ an attack/attacker(s). This man used an air pistol and with just six well placed shots against two attackers one wielding a blade and all within close quarters he successfully repelled them and saved his own skin as well as that of his wife.
    This is why trainers and old timers advise to keep, carry, and train with what you can reliably handle and shoot with precision. Big bullets and hand cannons are of absolutely no good if and when you miss. While well aimed pellets or BBs to the face and eyes of your attacker will make him or in this specific case them think twice.
    In areas, cities, states, and countries where firearms are restricted the use of alternative measures such as in this case an air gun (which is not a 'firearm') is far better than nothing at all or hoping for mercy from ones victimizer(s).
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

[Detective Anita Paterson] added: "We would be more than happy if the [robbers] would like to come forward and make a complaint".
    The gubmint going after those who dare lift a finger to defend themselves ... and loving it.

The tyranny of his state is about to bite him in the hindquarters. May he chow down legally and send them packing. Sad that it's even necessary. Texas, anyone?
    Last edited by ccw9mm; August 8th, 2008 at 03:37 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

He woulda inflicted more damage with a baseball bat
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You've gotta respect this guy's tenacity. I'm sure glad I can still keep my 1911 in the good ole USA. However, if wer'e not careful with the protection of our Second Ammendment Rights we could fall into the same sad situation of countries like New Zealand, Australia, and England.
    No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.

Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    He woulda inflicted more damage with a baseball bat
    Maybe, if he were Cecil Fielder.

A baseball bat is a close encounter device while with an air pistol one can be at stand off distances, just like a firearm.
    As well it's easier and requires far less effort and physical ability to score multiple hits with an air gun than it does to score a single blow with a baseball bat. As well atleast one of his attackers was armed with a large knife. No sensible person wants to get within close encounter contact distance with a person so armed and to miss even once armed with a baseball bat at close encounter distances can mean critical doom. A miss with an air pistol at stand off distances is much less severe as a second chance is just a trigger pull away.

Agreed Rhyfl, 100%.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    As reported by The New Zealand Herald:
    Ms Paterson said there was a risk that in pulling the air pistol the situation could have been worse, and police did not encourage such actions.
    Egads. Gadzooks. Foresooth, even.

Official policy that increases crime by discouraging self defense. Now all we need is some idiot mouthing off about "taking the law into his own hands" and "vigilantes".

Quote Originally Posted by rhyfl View Post
    You've gotta respect this guy's tenacity. I'm sure glad I can still keep my 1911 in the good ole USA. However, if wer'e not careful with the protection of our Second Ammendment Rights we could fall into the same sad situation of countries like New Zealand, Australia, and England.
    Don't forget one closer...Canada!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The gubmint going after those who dare lift a finger to defend themselves ... and loving it.
    I am going to go ahead and assume that this was sarcasm on the part of the Detective, insinuating that anybody trying to press charges against the owner would be admitting guilt in the robbery...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Administrator
    "said he felt he had to use the air pistol to save his life"

THAT is not an excuse to point and shoot a pistol at another person.
    That pistol is intended for sporting purposes ONLY and possibly pest control.
    How selfish he was to have the audacity to want to actually save their lives.
    What? Do they think they're going to live forever?
    He could have put out an eye with that thing.
    I Say Confiscitate The Air Pistol & Throw The Book At Him!

The sad thing is that they probably will end up doing just that.

I smell the ol' .177 vs .22 debate looming . . .

! ^^

- Beeman

I also took the detective's comment as sarcasm, indicating they don't really intend to charge the victim.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    I am going to go ahead and assume that this was sarcasm on the part of the Detective, insinuating that anybody trying to press charges against the owner would be admitting guilt in the robbery...
    And yet, there have been instances reported of U.K. police doing just that in the past year. The couple of cases of self-defense I can recall absolutely warranted no arrest of the victim, either, for "harming" the attackers.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links