Good in Kansas City: MERGED

This is a discussion on Good in Kansas City: MERGED within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A armed robber at a Bank of America in Kansas City was shot in the head this morning while trying to rob from a couple ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good in Kansas City: MERGED

Good in Kansas City: MERGED

A armed robber at a Bank of America in Kansas City was shot in the head this morning while trying to rob from a couple at the ATM. I had to reread the article several times to understand exactly what happened and I am still not sure that I do. But bottom line is a licensed concealed carry holder did what he had to do to protect his wife.

www.kansascity.com | 08/02/2008 | Bank customer shoots man in attempted robbery

2. Remove Ads

hard to fallow this story it sounds as if the BG robbed GG then try ed to walk away. GG gets weapon from car and attempts to halt BG who in turn brings his weapon to bare and is neutralized (in the head). poor writing but you got to love a happy ending
    Never approach a Bull from the front , a Horse from the rear or a Fool from any direction!

One less BG to worry about in Kansas City is a good thing for those of us who live here.
    God bless our troops!

From the article (which I agree is poorly written), it appears they were at a drive through ATM. My only critique is the GG should have used a caliber of sufficient size to finish the BG not just hospitalize the s.o.b.
    No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.

Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rhyfl View Post
    From the article (which I agree is poorly written), it appears they were at a drive through ATM. My only critique is the GG should have used a caliber of sufficient size to finish the BG not just hospitalize the s.o.b.

Have to agree with the article being poorly written. As to the weapon caliber used, we don't know. Might have been small caliber, or just a grazing head wound. Even that will put someone down. Once down the GG couldn't just walk up and execute him, not unless he wanted to face charges.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Have to agree with the article being poorly written...
    There are not many good writers at The Star anymore. Like most liberal rag newspapers, The Kansas City Star is hemorrhaging money with declining readers and subscriptions.

On Good Guy defending himself!

Stupid bad guy! Don't he know we good guys have to play by the rules and not shoot anyone when they are no longer an immediate threat to us. He should have kept walking away and not turned and pointed his gun at the guy when he yelled at him to stop!

But since he turned back and pointed his gun at the victim, it's Game On!

Good Job!

BTW... that location is at the far north area of the city... way north of the river and very close to affluent neighborhoods... Fairly unusual for armed robberies at drive up ATM's in that area. Crime is migrating... My folks won't be too happy, they moved up in that area, probably 5-7 miles away or less.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Bad writing, but good ending to story.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

I even like poorly written stories with great endings.
    Why didn't the GG have his gun on his person at an ATM?

Stay armed...at the ATM, too...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I even like poorly written stories with great endings.
    Why didn't the GG have his gun on his person at an ATM?

Stay armed...at the ATM, too...stay safe!
    Sounds like they were in a car and CCW holder exited passenger side to confront BG as he was walking away
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I still have not figured out what happened, even after the nightly news ran it. They did add that the BG is in stable condition at a hospital.

Two more observations. Bank of America is one of the few banks I have noticed that never has a gunbuster sign on the door. That is definitely not the norm in the Kansas City area in my experience. Now why the GG didn't take advantage of this is unknown.

This also reaffirms to me why I should carry all the time. I must admit I don't. For example, if I needed cash at a Bank of America at 9:00 a.m. located in a nice area of town, I don't always take the time to put on my rig. Why should I? What could ever happen?

I moved away from that area 12 years ago. It was a "nice, middle-class" area. We used to shop at the grocery store and the K-mart at that intersection.

Yep... any time, any place.

"It is unusual where a robbery victim defends themselves with a fire arm.

'You donít see that very often,' Lantz said."

Someone needs to send Sgt. Lantz the link to this site!

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    "It is unusual where a robbery victim defends themselves with a fire arm.

'You donít see that very often,' Lantz said."

Someone needs to send Sgt. Lantz the link to this site!
    Indeed.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

GOOD: Bank Customer Stops Robbery Attempt - Kansas City, KS

www.kansascity.com | 08/02/2008 | Bank customer shoots man in attempted robbery

Bank customer shoots man in attempted robbery

A bank customer shot another man who apparently was attempting to rob him about 9 a.m. today, police said.

The alleged robber, who was wounded in the head, this afternoon is in stable condition, police said.

A man and a woman, described as an older couple, were using the ATM at the Bank of America at North Oak Trafficway and Barry Road, police said, when a man approached with a gun and robbed them.

A couple was stopped at the ATM.

The robber was walking away when the male victim got out of the car with his gun and yelled for him to stop, said Sgt. Chris Lantz of the departmentís robbery unit.

The robber turned around and pointed his gun at the man, Lantz said. The robbery victim fired his gun, hitting the robber in the head, he said.

At the scene investigators earlier today investigators were collecting evidence from a dark sedan parked next to the ATM machine. An object that looked like a hand gun was lying on the pavement. Nearby were apparent blood stains.

The couple and witnesses were interviewed by police.

The man had a permit to carry a concealed gun, Lantz said. Under the circumstances, Lantz said, that would not matter, because he could legally carry the weapon in his car.

It is unusual where a robbery victim defends themselves with a fire arm. ďYou donít see that very often,Ē Lantz said.

Police ask that anyone who witnessed the incident call the TIPS Hotline, 816-474-TIPS (816) 474-8477.
    Hopefully we will see this type of self-defense more often SGT. Lantz.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

"Sure, you can have my wallet. It comes with a free gift: 230 grains of lead!"
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links