GOOD: Don't Bring A Baseball Bat To A Gunfight - Hilton Head, SC

This is a discussion on GOOD: Don't Bring A Baseball Bat To A Gunfight - Hilton Head, SC within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; islandpacket.com | Pistol trumps baseball bat in island driving confrontation Slow driving led to a confrontation between a 22-year-old Citadel student and an unidentified man ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GOOD: Don't Bring A Baseball Bat To A Gunfight - Hilton Head, SC

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

GOOD: Don't Bring A Baseball Bat To A Gunfight - Hilton Head, SC

islandpacket.com | Pistol trumps baseball bat in island driving confrontation

Slow driving led to a confrontation between a 22-year-old Citadel student and an unidentified man involving a baseball bat and a pistol on Hilton Head Island on Thursday afternoon, according to a Beaufort County Sheriff's Office incident report.

The student, who was lost, had been driving slowly on Beach City Road looking for a doctor's office when he pulled into a parking lot to look at a map, according to the report.

A man driving a Porsche pulled in behind him and approached him carrying a baseball bat. The man was yelling about the student's driving.

The student pulled a Glock 23 pistol from his glove box and got out of his car, the report stated.

The man with the bat put his hands up, returned to the Porsche and drove away.

The student called the sheriff's office from his parents' Hilton Head home. He was not charged in the incident.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

Can I say it any louder? I HATE ROAD RAGERS!

Totally innocent kid, looking for an address in unfamiliar area and an impatient hot-head could have torn this kid up if he didn't have a gun!

Situations like that get out of hand so fast it's not even funny!

+1 for having a gun!

Just another incident where the mere presence of a firearm foiled a potentially deadly crime without having to fire it!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Having his firearm readily available may have saved this innocent man from having his skull bashed in...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Who carries a baseball bat in their car? Sounds like someone who looks for trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    Who carries a baseball bat in their car?
    Actually there are lots of people who do.

I know a lot of people who play on league softball and baseball teams who at any given moment... especially during the summer months will have their favorite bat and their glove somewhere in their car on a regular basis.

And then there are those who carry a bat to be used as a defensive weapon.

Obviously, it should not be used as an offensive deadly weapon for when your road rage gets out of control as in this case, but there are those who have them for self defense.

I bet you will find a lot of bats carried in cars in places such as Maryland, New York, Chicago, and D.C.!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    KUDOS to him for being prepared and putting this idiot road rager in his place

....too bad its another statistic that won't "count" in the number of times firearms are used to protect someone (meaning shooting someone, the Brady bunch doesn't consider situations like this that happen throughout the year)
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

True, I have 3 in my softball bag as we speak. I save those for the field and my 442 for personal protection. Glad this guy was put in his place and no one got hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    +1 for having a gun!

Just another incident where the mere presence of a firearm foiled a potentially deadly crime without having to fire it!
    and +1 for not using it in a fit of rage.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Who carries a bat in a Porsche?That is just tacky

I know a doctor who plays and coaches softball, and carries bats and glove in his lexus... does that count on the tacky scale too?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    and +1 for not using it in a fit of rage.
    and kudos for having the presence of mind to call it in after the fact!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I saw a road rage incident the other day on my way to work. I was in a parking lot talking on the cell, when I saw a jacked up Dodge Ram cut in front of a Camry and slam on the brakes. The Camry was being driven by a small young woman. The guy in the Dodge got out, a very big guy, and started posturing at the woman. I was hoping that things wouldn't get ugly, and that the woman had some protection with her.

Thankfully the guy then got in his truck, spun his tires, and left in a hurry.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Just showed this to household-6...we'll be in Hilton Head starting next weekend for a week.

I will, of course, carry in accordance with the law when in my vehicle....but, DARN IT...I wish SLED would get off their butt and publish the updated reciprocity list!!
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

The student was not charged ... yeah, and? What about the 'rager? Seems the story's missing the "happy" ending, where they hunt down his sorry butt, he gets a felony stop, then spends a couple days in jail to cool his jets while he awaits arraignment and contacting his attorney.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I know a doctor who plays and coaches softball, and carries bats and glove in his lexus... does that count on the tacky scale too?
    Yes, if he is an MD. If he's a PhD or a chiropractor, there's no stigma attached and he gets a pass, likewise if the Lexus is an SUV. Don't get mad a me, I don't make the rules.

I used to carry a C271 Louieville Slugger in my Acura, but only 'cuz my wife told me to get it out of the garage and donate it to Goodwill or something. I carried it for about a year, until she saw it one day and got rid of it for me. I used it as a "spare key" once, when a buddy locked his keys in his car, but never as a weapon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links