GOOD: Security Guard Stops Shooting Spree - Hayward, CA

This is a discussion on GOOD: Security Guard Stops Shooting Spree - Hayward, CA within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Guard wounds teen after 3 shot at Hayward bar (08-04) 16:20 PDT HAYWARD - -- An armed security guard at a Hayward restaurant and karaoke ...

Thread: GOOD: Security Guard Stops Shooting Spree - Hayward, CA

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

GOOD: Security Guard Stops Shooting Spree - Hayward, CA

Guard wounds teen after 3 shot at Hayward bar

(08-04) 16:20 PDT HAYWARD - -- An armed security guard at a Hayward restaurant and karaoke bar shot a teenager early Sunday after the teen shot three people in the parking lot outside the bar, police said.

Oakland resident Adrian Dantoc, 18, and two other teenage suspects - John Catolos, 19, and Julian Logan, 19, both of Oakland - fled the scene but were caught by police and arrested on four counts of attempted murder, Hayward police said. All three are in custody at the Santa Rita Jail.

The incident happened at about 1:29 a.m. Sunday, when Dantoc and the two other teenagers allegedly confronted the three shooting victims, who were riding bikes through the parking lot of Manila Garden Restaurant on Hesperian Boulevard, police said.

When a fight started, Dantoc allegedly grabbed a gun from a nearby car and shot the three victims multiple times, police said. A security guard who works in the restaurant on weekends went outside when he heard gunshots and allegedly saw Dantoc firing the gun, police said. The guard told Dantoc to drop the gun and Dantoc allegedly fired at him; the guard then shot him in the leg, police said.

Dantoc and the two other suspects then drove to a home on Lester Avenue in Oakland, allegedly throwing away the gun along the way, police said. Residents at the home called 911 to get medical help for Dantoc's injury, and the three suspects were arrested when police arrived. Dantoc was treated at a local hospital.

The victims - ages 41, 23 and 17 - are all expected to survive. The eldest victim was shot in the torso and was admitted to Eden Medical Center in Castro Valley, where he is in stable condition, police said. The 17-year-old was shot three times - in the face, hip and hand - but none of the wounds were life-threatening, and he was treated and released from a local hospital.

The 23-year-old victim, who was shot in the arm, was also treated and released.

An investigation found that the security guard, a 45-year-old Hayward man who police did not identify, was justified in shooting Dantoc to protect his own life, police said.

"The round that was fired at the security officer went into the building just 2 feet above his head," said Hayward police Lt. Christine Orrey. "He was certainly justified shooting back."
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

+1 and quick thinking on the part of the security guard probably saved the 3 victims from further onslaught of gunfire and probably saved all of their lives!

There's madness in this world and no one is immune from it!

Stay armed at all times it is legal to do so!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Yet another incident where a person, not a cop, saved his own life and the lives of others by being armed...

I can only fault him for not being a better shot...

Stay armed...dirtbag abound...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sorry, but Oakland and Hayward are dumps. And California has such strict gun laws, go figure!

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I like the way the good guys are always reported to DO things, while the bad guys are always reported to ALLEGEDLY have done them.

....but I'm frankly surpised that Dantoc wasn't identified somewhere in that story as a VICTIM.

(they probably only reserve that for police shootings)

Yeah... funny how they always word things to "flavor their bias!"

Clever aren't they? And yet, they just can't figure out why people don't buy their papers anymore.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    I like the way the good guys are always reported to DO things, while the bad guys are always reported to ALLEGEDLY have done them.
    I guess the rags don't want the parents of the fine upstanding children, who have been corrupted and misguided by society and the brutal harassment of the local LEO's, to get some sleezbag lawyer and sue them for every penny they have because they have slandered the pure white name of their innocent child...
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Sorry, but Oakland and Hayward are dumps. And California has such strict gun laws, go figure!

I was raised in Oakland...All cities have less than desirable groups of BGs...Unfortunately Fox, CNN, and local news are for PROFIT...And prey on the public need for the Doom and Gloom in the News...Majority of City still have Law abiding citizens...

Surprised the security guard was not arrested for shooting one of Cali's protected felonies.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    The security guard was not identified? That's amazing.

The paper pretty much had to say where he worked, though. If the gangs are a problem there, I'd want to work somewhere else for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by IfIhaveto View Post
    I was raised in Oakland...All cities have less than desirable groups of BGs...Unfortunately Fox, CNN, and local news are for PROFIT...And prey on the public need for the Doom and Gloom in the News...Majority of City still have Law abiding citizens...
    Sorry, but I've been to Oakland numerous times. Jack London Square is nice if you don't go too far, then what? The port?
    I'm sure the majority are law abiding. But what does that mean? Only 49% may mug you?

If the suspect was actively shooting or pointing his weapon at one of the victims, that shows a reasonable good faith belief that that victims were in danger of grievous bodily harm or loss of life. Why did the security guard give verbal warnings instead of a double tap?

Links