GOOD: Teen Home Invader Shot - Union City, GA

This is a discussion on GOOD: Teen Home Invader Shot - Union City, GA within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Teen shot breaking into Union City home, cops say | ajc.com A would-be burglar got a painful surprise Friday when he tried to break into ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GOOD: Teen Home Invader Shot - Union City, GA

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

GOOD: Teen Home Invader Shot - Union City, GA

Teen shot breaking into Union City home, cops say | ajc.com

A would-be burglar got a painful surprise Friday when he tried to break into a Union City man's home, police said.

Around 4:30 p.m., the 75-year-old homeowner on Ravenwood Loop heard some noise coming from the rear of his house, Union City police spokesman George Louthe said.

"He saw his window getting wedged open," Louthe said. "He challenged the intruder, but (the intruder) kept coming through the window."

The man went for his 9 mm Glock handgun and returned to see a 17-year-old's leg straddling the window.

"He shot three times," Louthe said. "But the suspect ran."

The homeowner called 911 to report the home invasion, police said. Police did not release the name of the homeowner or the teen who was shot.

Just moments after his call, a neighbor on Ravenwood Circle just behind the crime scene called police to report a man shot in their back yard.

"He apparently climbed over the back fence," Louthe said of the wounded suspect.

The teen had been hit at least once, with an injury that seemed to reflect a bullet entering his leg and traveling to his groin, police said.

The suspect was airlifted to Grady Memorial Hospital, and was listed in serious but stable condition.

Charges against the teen are pending.

The Fulton County District Attorney's office will decide whether to charge the homeowner, Louthe said.
    What is their for the DA to determine? Seems like a pretty clear shoot to me. Hopefully things work out well for the victim, and hopefully the scumbag got taken out of the gene pool by the bullet near the groin.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Hopefully things work out well for the victim, and hopefully the scumbag got taken out of the gene pool by the bullet near the groin.
    Exactly what I was thinking Mike!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Good for the 75-year-old for having and using an equalizer... er, a trump card.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I hope the decision maker is a seasoned D.A. and not a snot-nosed upstart trying to carve out a political future. It seems pretty clear that this was a good shoot, but this IS a political season.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I heard that on the radio Friday afternoon... +1 for the ole man. I'm sure no one ever wants to use deadly force, but the BG got what he deserved.
    ---------------------------------------
    www.GeorgiaCarry.org Member
    ---------------------------------------

Sounds like the perp may have tagged the homeowner as an easy mark. Otherwise only drugs or an extraordinarily low IQ could explain breaking into someone's home, while someone's home, at 4:30p in the afternoon. I guess he must've had big cajones for a leg shot to hit him in the "groin".

That sounds like a 'ball-buster'...for the dirtbag.
    I wonder if that's going to leave a mark?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I hope all ends well for the homeowner. Can't see the DA filing charges against a 75 yr. old man for defending himself during a home invasion!

What do you do when you challenge the intruder and command him to leave and he doesn't? YOU have to ASSUME it's because the intruder feels he can "Take You" which leaves you no other choice but to shoot!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

12 gauge slug would have brought about a happier ending but I'm guessing the 9mm had plenty of teaching power. Let's hope that many potential burglars are noting the lesson.

VIP Member
    The teen had been hit at least once, with an injury that seemed to reflect a bullet entering his leg and traveling to his groin, police said.
    If nothing else it may prevent him from breeding.

See that go's to prove one thing beware of us old guys.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

to bad is wasn't a head shot...same the taxpayers some money.
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    What is their for the DA to determine? Seems like a pretty clear shoot to me. Hopefully things work out well for the victim, and hopefully the scumbag got taken out of the gene pool by the bullet near the groin.
    He was shot while straddling the window. I was always told if I shot someone don't let him fall outside.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by cl00bie View Post
    He was shot while straddling the window. I was always told if I shot someone don't let him fall outside.
    Don't get caught up taking bad advice... Some people erroneously believed that for some reason you're ok if you shoot inside your home but not ok if the person is not inside your home when you shoot him.

That may have been true or at least born out of "urban legend" in certain areas where non-gun friendly jurisdictions prevailed and also 30 + years ago. Especially in the days where forensic evidence was not so advanced and modern.

Lots of bad advice was handed out back then, by good intended people, such as, "If you shoot someone in your front yard, drag them inside your house before you call the police."

But when you look at it logically, and based on the rules of deadly force which we must abide by... If you are truly justified in using lethal force, the person must pose an immediate threat to your life (jeopardy), possess the means (ability) to kill you, and be in close enough proximity to carry out the threat (Opportunity).

Basically then, it doesn't matter if he is inside your house or outside your house when those three components come together. If you can articulate that you were in immediate and otherwise unavoidable threat of death or crippling injury... it doesn't matter where they are when you shoot them.

If you go moving the body around after the fact.... You are in fact, destroying or tampering with evidence.

In a jury's eyes, that usually translates into some sort of guilt on your part. Or at least an attempt to cover-up what may not have been a justifiable shooting in the first place.

If he was straddling the window... 1/2 in and 1/2 out and then falls outside after he is shot... They will be able to determine that via physical and trace evidence, blood smears and the like.

If you go outside and pick him up and shove him back inside the window.... They will almost certainly be able to tell the body had been moved and then things will go down hill from there.

I hope that makes a little bit of sense and clears up any concerns.

Bottom line... Don't tamper with evidence!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Grady's eh? Their used to be a story about that Hospital. The story goes that they sent field Military doctors there to learn gun shot wound treatment because they saw more of it than any place around. The ER doctors there are very used to dealing with Gunshot wounds. And it is in the deep dark heart of Atlanta. Not a nice area they are in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links