Good Samaritan in Missouri Murdered While Trying to Save Woman

This is a discussion on Good Samaritan in Missouri Murdered While Trying to Save Woman within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; FOXNews.com - Good Samaritan in Missouri Reportedly Murdered While Trying to Save Woman Under Attack - Local News | News Articles | National News | ...

Thread: Good Samaritan in Missouri Murdered While Trying to Save Woman

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar

Good Samaritan in Missouri Murdered While Trying to Save Woman

FOXNews.com - Good Samaritan in Missouri Reportedly Murdered While Trying to Save Woman Under Attack - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

HANNIBAL, Mo. A 45-year-old Missouri biker was reportedly killed by two other men when he tried to stop them from attacking a woman by the side of the road.

Rodney Wood was riding his motorcycle when he saw a woman being attacked, a family friend told the Hannibal Courier-Post. He pulled over to try to help, the paper reported.

But when Wood tried to intervene, the unidentified attackers apparently turned on him and killed him, according to the Courier-Post. Wood's body was found early Sunday morning in Hannibal, Mo.

The suspects, who are 21 and 22, were arrested Sunday.

Police have released few other details about the incident.

This is a post from a friend of his from another fourm

One man is dead and two others are in custody after a reported assault in Hannibal.
    According to the Hannibal Police Department, 45-year-old Rodney Wood of Hannibal was riding his motorbike home around 12:45 Sunday morning, when he was assaulted by two men.
    Both were arrested just after 3:30 Sunday afternoon, and are identified as 21-year-old Nathan Stice, and 22-year-old David Ater, both of Hannibal. Both men face charges of Murder in the 2nd Degree, 1st Degree Involuntary Manslaughter, and Kidnapping. They are currently being held at the Marion County Jail on $500,000 cash only bond.
    An autopsy is scheduled for this afternoon in Columbia.
    WGEM will have much more on this story later today.

2. Remove Ads

Good Find... how sad. There are some more details below:

Hannibal Murder on Broadway : News : KHQA

By Melissa Shriver
    Monday, August 11, 2008 at 6:09 p.m.

A Hannibal man is dead after what police call a senseless act of violence. Police say two men beat 45-year-old Rodney Wood to death as he drove home early Sunday morning.

22-year-old David Ater and 21-year-old Nathan Stice, both of Hannibal, have been charged with his murder.

Police say Wood was riding his motorbike home from downtown Hannibal early Sunday morning after a night out with friends when tragedy struck. At first it appeared to be an accident, but after looking deeper into the evidence it was clear that someone beat Wood to death.

Police say Wood encountered Ater and Stice at the 2100 block of Broadway.

Hannibal Police Chief Lyndell Davis said, "They crossed paths of the 2100th block of Broadway, there's some discrepancy on what happened but there is some evidence that they struck him possibly when he was on the bike."

Davis said, "In this particular, this case was a completely random act with no premeditation that we're aware of. They crossed paths in the middle of the night and unfortunately an altercation happened and as I understand we lost a good man in the community for absolutely no reason whatsoever."

Davis added, "What we have are two individuals that obviously did not value life and an altercation occurred and we have a very negative result and there's consequences to be paid for that. There's no correlation between gang activity."

Friends say Wood saw the two men attacking a female and stopped to help. That's when the men began attacking him.

Was he a good samaritan at the time?

Davis said, "That rumor about the good samaritan. I cannot confirm or deny, we don't have any evidence except he did encounter these two. There appears to be no previous history except this is a senseless act."

Ater and Stice face second-degree murder charges and involuntary manslaughter. Kidnapping charges have also been filed against the men. Those charges stem from holding women against their will when they tried to answer the door for the police.

Both are in the Marion County Jail on $500,000 bond.

Wood leaves behind a wife and two sons.

Everyone we talked to who knew Wood says he was a loving and supportive family man.

He was a supervisor at BVCP Enterprises and Campground. One of his favorite things was coaching Hannibal's Youth Wrestling Program. He did that for 10 years and passed on his love of the sport to his sons.

Visitation is scheduled from 5 to 7 p.m. August 14 at James O'Donnell Funeral Home in Hannibal.

Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Friday at the funeral home.

He will be laid to rest at Grand View Burial Park.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

if he was armed that would of never taken place

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTY HARRY View Post
    if he was armed that would of never taken place
    It MAY have not happened........at least the odds may have been better.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    This incident bolsters the argument for not getting involved.

Although the man is dead, at least he will not be accused of being a coward. That should be comforting to his family.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    This incident bolsters the argument for not getting involved.

Although the man is dead, at least he will not be accused of being a coward. That should be comforting to his family.
    There seems to be some question whether it was random or if he did stop to help someone. Regardless, may he rest in peace and prayers to his wife and two kids...and the perpetrators become long time boyfriends.

Rick
    Last edited by Scott; August 14th, 2008 at 02:42 PM. Reason: inappropriate language edited

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    There seems to be some question whether it was random or if he did stop to help someone. Regardless, may he rest in peace and prayers to his wife and two kids...and the perpetrators become long time boyfriends.
    +1

I read my post and I do not want to give the impression that I am against getting involved in a situation. I am opposed to those who think that not getting involved reflects poorly on an individual.
    Last edited by Scott; August 14th, 2008 at 02:42 PM. Reason: edit quote

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Hear, hear.

Big fat comfort, yeah? Shows what can easily happen when one goes (apparently) unarmed into a situation one knows nothing about. It's all good and well to make a show, but if it just results in more death and destruction then it's only show.

Now, for those who would twist these statements, I'm all for assisting where appropriate. But this result shows that doing so blindly and without a plan isn't worth much. Keep your wits. Do what's right. But, make it home to your family, 'cause they're depending on you, too.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Wow... Leaves a wife and two kids... For what? Police don't even know if there was a woman he was reported to be assisting...

He definitely stopped for something.

When what you need is a gun to save your life... There is NO substitute!

Words to live... or die by!

Lesson learned? Carry a damn gun and watch what you get yourself into!

Very sad indeed.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Moderator
    Somebody get a rope...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Stay armed...always...anytime, anyplace...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Somebody get a rope...
    No that would be too quick and painless for the two.

I say a gut shot with at .22 and then let them go without medical care until they finally die. I will even donate the bullets.

Of course we can't really do this, but sometimes it is hard to comprehend what little value some have for life.

I don't know about him stopping to help a woman, unless he had made a phone call or something saying that he was going to assist. I say if so, he was being a good samaritan, and hopefully he will get his reward for that now, just too bad his family is going to be without him.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

(Almost) Always carry, in the rare times that I don't (can't) I would hesitate to take on two guys directly. Stop at a distance but within sight and call police. If you are in a car that could become your weapon, if needed.

There was a video on Youtube of some gansta taking a pipe to a vehicle stopped at a light for no reason. If I was behind the wheel he would have never made it passed the front bumper.
    Last edited by Scott; August 13th, 2008 at 10:19 PM. Reason: profanity

Links