Ugly: One shot at Arkansas Democratic Party headquarters

This is a discussion on Ugly: One shot at Arkansas Democratic Party headquarters within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; One shot at Arkansas Democratic Party headquarters - CNN.com (CNN) -- One person was shot Wednesday at the Little Rock, Arkansas, headquarters of the state ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugly: One shot at Arkansas Democratic Party headquarters

Ugly: One shot at Arkansas Democratic Party headquarters

One shot at Arkansas Democratic Party headquarters - CNN.com

(CNN) -- One person was shot Wednesday at the Little Rock, Arkansas, headquarters of the state Democratic Party, police said.

CNN affiliate KTHV reported Arksansas Democratic Party chairman Bill Gwatney was hospitalized.

The Arkansas Democratic Party said the chairman, Bill Gwatney, was hospitalized after the shooting, CNN affiliate KTHV reported. Little Rock police would not confirm or deny whether Gwatney was shot.

Little Rock police Lt. Terry Hastings said that the victim was in critical condition at the hospital.

The suspect, who fled the scene after the shooting in a pickup truck, led police on a chase into Grant County before being shot, Hastings said. Hastings did not release the suspect's name, what condition he was in or where he was shot, saying the investigation was ongoing.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

Arkansas is making the news this week. I'm not sure I like that. I wonder what's going on here.

Let us keep the man shot in our thoughts and prayers along with his family that is going through a stressful time right now.

I hate to say it but I am really hoping that the man doing the shooting did NOT have a CPL. Things that individuals do that are bad like this give rise to the general population of law abiding citizens that do carry guns.
    Vern
    http://Taurus45ACP.com
    My wesbsite with many pro-gun links.
    Carry Taurus 24/7 Pro in .45 ACP

i bet he used a big scarry "assult rifle" with a thumbhole buttstock to do the shooting too
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

I kind of doubt the assult rifle thing. He had talked to some of the convention personel about loosing his job and asked to see the Chariman Bill Gwatney. When his secretary refused, the man went into the Chairmans office and shot 3 times. Later he was arrested after driving off in a pickup truck. Police shot him and arrested the assailant. No word on either condtion of Chairman Bill Gwatney or Assailant.
    Vern

VIP Member
    CNN has just reported the shooter has died also.

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    CNN has just reported the shooter has died also.

Then justice is served, sparing the taxpayer cost of trial and incarcination. I would have liked to have known the motive. I doubt now if that will ever been known.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Darth AkSarBen View Post
    I kind of doubt the assult rifle thing...
    it was sarcasm based on current political hubbub going on in MD/DC wanting to ban weapons that have never even been used in a single known crime.
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

There seems to be posts missing in here. Perhaps the moderators removed some of the comments?
    Vern

Administrator
    Deleted Posts. ~
    Yes, I did delete them.
    They are missing for a good reason.
    They were no longer needed as the original post that they were commenting on has been deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth AkSarBen View Post
    There seems to be posts missing in here. Perhaps the moderators removed some of the comments?
    Yup, my post was against the rules.

Oops
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

Administrator
    OK OK Back onto the thread topic or you guys are going to hafta make me delete more posts for being Off Topic to the thread.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

More information in this article:

The Associated Press: Wounded suspect in Ark. shooting dies after chase

The shooter was not a volunteer or fired volunteer, he claimed to be interested in volunteering.

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) A man who said he wanted to volunteer for the Arkansas Democratic Party barged into the chairman's office Wednesday and shot him three times, wounding him critically, police and witnesses said. The suspect died after being shot during a 30-mile chase.

"He came in and went into this office and started shooting," police Lt. Terry Hastings told reporters outside the party's headquarters near Arkansas' state Capitol building. Police said they didn't have a motive.

Party officials identified the victim as chairman Bill Gwatney, a former longtime legislator who owns three General Motors car dealerships in and around Little Rock.

"He said he was interested in volunteering, but that was obviously a lie," said Sam Higginbotham, a 17-year-old volunteer at the headquarters. He said the man pushed his way past an employee to reach Gwatney's office.

By virtue of his position, Gwatney is a superdelegate to the Democratic National Convention this month in Denver. He declared his support for Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y., after the Arkansas primary Feb. 5.

National Democratic Party chairman Howard Dean said the shooting was a shock.

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to Chairman Gwatney and his family and we pray for his full and speedy recovery," Dean said. "While the investigation of this shooting continues, and our primary concern remains with Bill and his family, we commend the courageous and speedy action of law enforcement officials in apprehending the suspect."

The suspect, 51, was chased into Grant County, south of the capital, and apprehended after being shot, Hastings said. Police fired at the man but it wasn't known whether he also suffered self-inflicted injuries.

Millie McLain, a reporter for the Sheridan Headlight newspaper, said the suspect's blue truck was turned sideways along Arkansas 46 northeast of Sheridan. Emergency crews were loading the man onto a Med-Flight helicopter.

Moments before the Democratic headquarters shooting, a man with a gun threatened the building manager of the Arkansas State Baptist Convention headquarters seven blocks east. It wasn't known if the incidents were related.

Dan Jordan, the denomination's business manager, said the building manager asked the man what was wrong and that he said "I lost my job."

The state Capitol was locked down for about an hour until police got word the shooter had been captured, said Arkansas State Capitol police Sgt. Charlie Brice.

An impromptu vigil at University Hospital drew Gov. Mike Beebe and a number of state legislators who had worked with Gwatney.

"He's in very critical condition. The family is doing the best they can. They're shocked like the rest of us," said Sen. Bobby Glover, D-Carlisle.

House Majority Leader Steve Harrelson, D-Texarkana, was at the state Capitol for a news conference on crime and that he didn't know of anyone who would want to harm Gwatney.

"You never think of something like this happening here in Arkansas," Harrelson said.

Rep. Janet Johnson, D-Bryant, started to cry when she talked about Gwatney.

"This is like something you would see in New York or Pennsylvania or California, but not here," Johnson said.

Beebe, a Democrat who served with Gwatney in the Legislature, had been on a flight to Springdale in northwestern Arkansas but returned to the Capitol after hearing about the shooting, Beebe spokesman Matt DeCample said.

Gwatney served 10 years in the state Senate. Gwatney was Beebe's finance chairman during Beebe's run for governor in 2006.

Sarah Lee, a sales clerk at a flower shop across street from the party headquarters, said that around noon Gwatney's secretary ran into the shop and asked someone to call 911.

Lee said the secretary told her the man had come into the party's office and asked to speak with Gwatney. When the secretary said she wouldn't allow him to meet with Gwatney, the man went into his office and shot him, Lee said.

FBI spokesman Steve Frazier said his agency was assisting in the investigation but could not offer any details. "We're aware of it. We're helping the state police right now," Frazier said.

Karen Ray, executive director of the Republican Party of Arkansas, sent her workers home early "out of an abundance of caution."

"Our hearts go out to everyone at the Democratic headquarters. What a tragedy," Ray said. "This is just a very upsetting, troubling and scary thing for our staff as well."

Last November, a distraught man wearing what appeared to be a bomb walked into a Clinton campaign office in New Hampshire and demanded to speak to the candidate about access to mental health care. A hostage drama dragged on for nearly six hours until he peacefully surrendered.

The confrontation brought Clinton's campaign to a standstill just five weeks before the New Hampshire primary. Security for her was increased as a precaution. She said she did not know the suspect.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    They just announced that both the victim and shooter are dead. They are not sure if the shooter died from the police or self-inflicted wounds.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

"You never think of something like this happening here in Arkansas," Harrelson said.
    I'll bet most or all of our members from Arkansas would disagree with the above statement.

Any place, any time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links