Store owner arrested for shooting at shoplifters - Florida - Page 3

Store owner arrested for shooting at shoplifters - Florida

This is a discussion on Store owner arrested for shooting at shoplifters - Florida within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; In my opinion, he over-reacted and should not have used his gun. But I would think that a good lawyer may be able to turn ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Store owner arrested for shooting at shoplifters - Florida

In my opinion, he over-reacted and should not have used his gun. But I would think that a good lawyer may be able to turn this around for him. The castle doctrine applies to businesses. If the cops can't proof that he shot outside his business (and remember: its not that he has to proof that he didn't... the cops have to prove that he did), he may get away clean. But chances are not good for him. Kind of all would come down to a good lawyer and the right jury. Unless he is super lucky and hits a prosecutor who isn't interested in following up on this.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

It's hard to use restraint in a life or death situation. Especially if you train to go all out! In the excitement and adrenaline rush it's hard to just turn off the switch! Especially when life or death situations most often happen in the blink of an eye. And coupled with the fact that often times, you will experience a distortion of perceived time.

But sometimes that's what you have to do in order to remain on the good side of the law.

In this case, and especially with Castle Doctrine, I would say that Inside The Store, he was good to go!

Once he left the store and began pursuing the offender, Castle Doctrine Protection Ended!

Now personally, I'm on the side of the Store Owner/Manager... I don't like seeing criminals get away only to continue on their potentially murderous life of crime... But once the crook left the confines of the store and fleeing the scene, he really was no longer an immediate threat to the owners life.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Next time

1: Just shoot the bottles out of their hands efficiently.
    2: Chase them down the street throwing more bottles of hard liquor at them like Jack Daniels.

JRI
    My biggest problem with this is the fact that not one bullet hit its intended target. If he could not hit his target within the confines of the store he had no business running down the street sending lead who knows where.

I think he made a mistake taking such action over a shoplifting offense and only compounded the mistake by continuing after the subjects fled the store.

While I may have some compassion for his state of mind it fades quickly owing to the judgement used and actions taken after the initial responce.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    If he had been a better shot, then he wouldn't have had to leave the darn store in the first place, then he wouldn't be getting charged.
    My thoughts exactly. One more reason shot placement is so important. Three actually the second being thieving scum bags got away unharmed. Last is if it is a bad shoot the dirt bags may very well end up owning that store.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Now we all know everyone on this forum are better shots than that guy... or at least we tell ourselves that, right? I mean we can all punch holes in paper pretty good, eh?

But you'd be surprised at how many people miss at less than 10 feet with an entire magazine of bullets during "the moment of truth."

There's always going to be what you believe will happen... and then there's what really happens.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Now we all know everyone on this forum are better shots than that guy... or at least we tell ourselves that, right? I mean we can all punch holes in paper pretty good, eh?

But you'd be surprised at how many people miss at less than 10 feet with an entire magazine of bullets during "the moment of truth."

There's always going to be what you believe will happen... and then there's what really happens.
    Hey Bark'n, thats a big +1...
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links