Tragedy: Total Disregard for the "Four Rules" - Queens, NY

This is a discussion on Tragedy: Total Disregard for the "Four Rules" - Queens, NY within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; He broke every single rule in the book! Teen's fatal error - cops Teen's fatal error DAILY NEWS WRITERS Thursday, August 14th 2008, 10:20 PM ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tragedy: Total Disregard for the "Four Rules" - Queens, NY

Tragedy: Total Disregard for the "Four Rules" - Queens, NY

He broke every single rule in the book!

Teen's fatal error - cops

Teen's fatal error

DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Thursday, August 14th 2008, 10:20 PM

Before playfully pointing a gun at his cousin, a Queens teenager took the basic precaution of removing the loaded clip from the weapon.

But Felix Cruz, 18, forgot about the bullet in the chamber and pulled the trigger, killing the teenage girl, cops said Thursday.

"It was an accident," said Melissa Cruz, 14, the sister of Veronica Cruz, 18, who died Wednesday. "He was crying and he was saying, 'I'm sorry! I love you, don't leave me.'"

Prosecutors said Felix aimed the .25-caliber handgun at Veronica and pulled the trigger once. The gun made a clicking sound and nothing happened. He then fired again, discharging a bullet into his cousin's face, prosecutors charged.

"I saw her throwing up blood," said Melissa of the scene in the Far Rockaway apartment. "I couldn't look at her. I ran outside."

Veronica, of Clinton, Mass., died at the scene. She had been visiting family in Queens.

Felix faces 15 years in prison if convicted on several charges including manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide and tampering with evidence, authorities said.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

Ok, so where did the kid get the gun in the first place?

I guess Forest Gump was right.

Stupid is as Stupid does.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

What a shame. They aren't toys and any kid near one needs to be taught that, even if you remove the mag.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Can't be true. Average citizens can't have handguns in NYC. No handgun, no handgun accident.
    When in doubt, just ask yourself, "What would Theodore Roosevelt do?"

Every society is 3 missed meals away from anarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Can't be true. Average citizens can't have handguns in NYC. No handgun, no handgun accident.
    Unfortunately, there are many, many illegal handguns in NYC. The article did not state that, but I would be willing to bet it was an illegal. And if it was, you can be sure that he never heard of "the rules".
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

He should be charged ,anybody that points a gun at anybody loaded or otherwise and pulls the trigger is a moron and regardless whether he meant to kill her or not his actions took her life
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Curiosity killed the cat...

The problem with anti's is that they don't know a thing about guns let alone anything about the operation or proper gun safety.

Now gun owners should have taught all the children about gun safety and gun operations.

The problem lies when gun owners don't feel kids should know anything about guns except don't touch and the gun is off limits!

Well, sooner or later curiosity can end up getting to a majority of kids. They are fascinated by guns and see them glorified on TV and movies. Next thing you know, they are sneaking into getting your gun behind your back and without any real knowledge, a tragedy ensues.

If you own guns and have children... They should be taught at a young age all about them and learn to shoot them in a supervised environment. That way you remove the curiosity factor from the equation.

They can still be off limits and should be locked away... but if they get to go with you to the range to shoot them, and know the safety rules and operation, they are less likely to be tempted to play with them behind your back.

JMHO

Tragic end to a young girls life. No doubt the boy didn't mean to do it and will live a tormented life because of it. But first he gets to go to prison at a young age. His life is OVER!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Why do people stand there and _let_ others point firearms at them and further stand compliant as they pull triggers toward them as well?

I mean if a person has a baseball bat or bow with arrow or shark gun or a sword or a spear in hand would they stand there too and not move as the other waved it around at them and/or thrust it toward them in play?

I'm convinced that many of these type accidents can be avoided not even just with education toward both parties (which definitely would have helped here), but also on the part of the victim having a greater then low if not wholly missing survival instinct.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

whoever thinks NYC is handgun free is out of their mind. I could take a walk in Hunts Point and pick one up for $50 real easy. Many gun incidences go unreported by the precincts because NYC needs to keep its claim as the safest big city (which is a total lie).
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Same thing happened here recently with two small children. A parent left a loaded gun in a nightstand. Leaving a gun and ammo where a child can get to it is against the law. This was easily avoided if the owner had the gun on their hip where it will do you some good if needed. Otherwise it should be unloaded and locked up.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

"An accident is a specific, identifiable, unexpected, unusual and unintended external event which occurs in a particular time and place, without apparent or deliberate cause" from Wikipidia

The cause is both apparent and deliberate, the result may have been unintended, but not unexpected or unusual. This was not an accident.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

.25 caliber? I thought those things where harmless.

such a shame.

TOF
    The idiot was 18! He knew what he was doing but did it anyway.
    We never get the true story from these cases.

Had it been a 6 year old it would have qualified as accident but not this case.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
    In a way this incident is a direct result of "Gun Control" - The law makes firearm ownership Taboo.
    That forces legitimate gun ownership "underground" - It's normal for people to want to have a firearm for home or personal protection so they manage somehow to "skirt the law" and get one.
    But, the firearm is all they get.
    They don't get a quick "Safety Primer" from the gun shop.
    They don't get a printed pamphlet stating the 4 rules.
    They don't even know that there are four rules.
    They don't get any range time.
    They don't get a safety class or a written exam.
    They get nothing but a hot, illegal gun and that is a recipe for tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by rmarcustrucker View Post
    .25 caliber? I thought those things where harmless.
    They certainly never seem to be cited as valid and lawful defensive tools on this site and others. The only time I seem to hear them mentioned is in stories like this one.

Not trying to start a flame war or blame the gun, just sayin'...
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links