Bad - Couple found slain in their home

This is a discussion on Bad - Couple found slain in their home within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What kind of persond does stuff like this? I guess I just find it too hard to comprehend personally. Couple found slain in their home ...

What kind of persond does stuff like this? I guess I just find it too hard to comprehend personally.

Couple found slain in their home

Arkansas-side police arrest woman’s son

By Susan Lindsey and Jim Williamson
    Texarkana Gazette

A Texarkana, Ark., couple, the victims of an apparent stabbing, were found dead in their home Friday night, police said.
    The woman’s son, Bronson Scoggins, 38, was in custody late Friday. He was arrested after he called police. It was not known what, if any, charges he may face.
    The names of the deceased couple were not released late Friday. Their bodies were found in the living room and a hallway of their home at 88 Big Rock Circle in southeast Texarkana, Ark., a predominately rural area.
    “It was a gruesome and bloody crime scene,” said Texarkana, Ark., Police Department Chief Bob Harrison.
    Police said when they arrived at the home, the son was found outside the house.
    The possible weapon was a knife found in the living room inside a sheath.
    The man was found stabbed in the living room while sitting in a chair. “We think he was surprised,” said Harrison.
    The woman was found in the hallway.
    Harrison said Texarkana, Ark., police had responded to a disturbance call earlier in the afternoon by the son, the alleged suspect in the double murder.
    The police left after it appeared the disturbance had ended.
    Then about 8:15 p.m., a 911 call was reportedly made by the son, who asked for police.
    Harrison said the son, when he reported the crime, described it as “a horrible thing.”
    Neighbors of the victims say the son is mentally challenged.
    Harrison said a search warrant will be issued to continue the crime scene investigation.

Texarkana, Ark., police officers wait for crime scene detectives while Bronson Scoggins, the suspect in two deaths, sits in a patrol car.
    Staff photo by Evan Lewis

Identities released in double slaying

Woman’s 38-year-old son remains in Bi-State on capital murder charges

By Jim Williamson Texarkana Gazette

The couple apparently stabbed and beaten to death Friday night in their home have been identified as Albert J. Walsh, 78, and his wife, 59-year-old Sandra Walsh.
    A suspect in the stabbing deaths, Bronson Scoggins, 38, has been arrested. He is the son of Sandra Walsh.
    About 8 p.m. Friday an unknown person called 911 saying repeatedly, “I got both of them.”
    When officers arrived at the house, Scoggins identified himself and had blood on his body and clothing, officials said. He was placed in restraints and inside a patrol car. The house is on Big Rock Circle in the rural, southeast area of Texarkana, Ark. “It was a gruesome and bloody crime scene,” said Texarkana, Ark., Police Chief Bob Harrison. Officers found Albert Walsh in a chair in the living room and Sandra Walsh in a hallway. Det. Les Moody said both victims had suffered blunt force trauma and potential knife wounds. The suspected knife was found in the house. Scoggins was arrested on charges of two counts of capital murder and is in the Bi-State Justice Building jail. Officers had responded to the same house earlier in the evening after receiving a 911 call from Scoggins about an alleged theft of money. Harrison said the son, when he reported the crime, described it as a “horrible thing.”
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

We have no idea how dangerous the deceased couple believed the son to be. It's hard to look over your shoulder all the time if you don't trust one of your own family members.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    People outside a family simply have no way of knowing what's going on inside the family. The son could be exactly what most people immediately think, or the parents may have spent decades slipping little knives in their son and he finally got fed up with it.

Or...?

No Bail Set : At least something good.

No bail set in double slaying

Jail officials: Suspect has been placed on suicide watch

By Lynn LaRowe Texarkana Gazette

An Arkansas man facing capital murder charges in the Friday night deaths of his mother and stepfather made statements at his first court appearance Monday before a Miller County judge.
    “My parents are OK. I talked to them this morning about rewind and they rewinded it and they’re OK,” said Bronson Scoggins.
    Scoggins’ mother and stepfather, Sandra and Albert Walsh,
    were found bludgeoned in their home Friday evening after members of the Texarkana, Ark., Police Department responded to a 911 call from Scoggins.
    Before Scoggins, 38, made the statements in court, Miller County District Judge Wren Autrey advised him of his constitutional rights, including those to remain silent and be represented by an attorney.
    Because Scoggins is facing two capital murder charges, Autrey did not set bail. Scoggins will be held in jail while the charges are pending against him.
    He is being held in a cell that allows guards to carefully monitor him because he has been placed on “suicide watch,” a jail official said.
    Scoggins’ biological father, Jerry Scoggins, sat solemnly as Autrey conducted the hearing. Two women sitting on either side of Jerry Scoggins dabbed at wet eyes before quickly exiting the courtroom when the hearing was adjourned.
    Chief Prosecutor Brent Haltom said a decision regarding whether to seek the death penalty will be made after his office has received a case file from investigators.
    TAPD Public Information Officer Kristi Mitchell said the investigation into the deaths is ongoing.
    “At this time, the police department is looking into his medical records but we can’t currently confirm or deny anything about his mental capacity,” Mitchell said. “Detectives are gathering information from family members to determine a motive.” Officers found the bodies of Albert J. Walsh, 78, and Sandra Walsh, 59, after receiving the second of two 911 calls from Bronson Scoggins Friday evening, Mitchell said.
    He told the dispatcher who answered the second call he had “... gotten them both,” and that officers needed to hurry to the scene.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Arkansas? Again?

Well it appears so, but Arkansas doesn't bother me as much as does all this stuff showing up in the newspaper because it is happening close to here.

If it is a 100 or 200 miles away, I can live with a bit of that, but when these types of articles start showing up in the local paper on a regular basis, that gets me a bit concerned.

This is the type of stuff that is supposed to happen in the major metroplitain areas, not po dunk ville.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Mentally disabled people (especially kids) often have rage problems.

Some of them are strong too. The genetic code that causes Down syndrome is actually linked to the code that makes you muscular. My r-tard cousin is always beating on people and breaking things. He's strong.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Well it appears so, but Arkansas doesn't bother me as much as does all this stuff showing up in the newspaper because it is happening close to here.

If it is a 100 or 200 miles away, I can live with a bit of that, but when these types of articles start showing up in the local paper on a regular basis, that gets me a bit concerned.

This is the type of stuff that is supposed to happen in the major metroplitain areas, not po dunk ville.

Well, it is an election year. Sort of like getting 13 full moons in a couple of months I reckon. Say....you don't actually read the local paper any more do you? Save some trees, you have internet. I'm in po dunk ville, and it's hit all around us for the past month. Wish I could shed some light on the scandal, believe me.

Other than being aware, and taking action before this wacko attacked (throw him out of the house)...pretty hard to defend against.

Sad story.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Same scenario was played out almost three years ago near West Fork, Arkansas. I lived seven miles from there at the time.
    NWAnews.com :: Northwest Arkansas' News Source
    Shane Gore was insane when he killed his parents in West Fork in 2005, his attorney said. But deputy public defender Jerome Paddock chose not to risk his client’s life on the chance a jury would agree.

Gore, 38, pleaded guilty last week in Washington County Circuit Court to reduced charges of first-degree murder in the slayings of Don and Judy Gore.

With the plea, the schizophrenic with a long history of mental illness avoided the possibility of the death penalty that can be handed down for capital murder.

Paddock planned to show at trial that Gore was innocent by reason of insanity. The defense, which in Arkansas is not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect, hinges on whether the defendant knew right from wrong while committing the crime and whether he could obey the law.

Instead, prosecutors offered the plea bargain. Gore agreed to the deal and on July 31 was sentenced to 80 years in the Arkansas Department of Correction.

“Juries are reluctant to acquit by reason of insanity,” Paddock said. “I’ve been practicing 25 years and haven’t seen that happen in a murder case [locally ]. Juries tend to think it’ll mean the person will be immediately turned loose on society. That’s not the case.” Those acquitted by reason of mental defect or disease are ordered to the state Department of Human Services’ 911 program, under which they are treated at the State Hospital or by a community mental health provider. If found competent, they are released.

There are 452 people in the 911 program, 12 of whom have been acquitted of murder, according to the state Department of Human Services.

Paddock said Gore underwent treatment at the State Hospital several months this year before doctors found him competent in June to stand trial.

Given that Gore was restored to competency only through medication, Paddock believes his client was insane when he killed his parents on Oct. 13, 2005. At the time, Gore was skimping on prescribed psychotropic medication, Paddock said. Court records show he was taking the drugs Zyprexa and Klonopin in 2005. “Shane couldn’t afford his medication,” Paddock said. “He was cutting his pills in half because he couldn’t afford the whole pill. As long as Shane is on medication, he’s able to converse and rationalize. But without it, he’s delusional.” BROTHER ILL, TOO In 2004, Paddock represented Gore’s brother, Shawn Gore, who is serving 46 years in the Arkansas Department of Correction.

Shawn Gore, now 40, was convicted in Washington County Circuit Court of robbery, battery and methamphetamine possession. He, too, was diagnosed with schizophrenia but found competent to stand trial.

While representing Shawn Gore, Paddock met Don and Judy Gore. They were protective of both sons.

“Both their boys had psychological problems,” Paddock said. “As far as Don and Judy were concerned, Shane was the good son. He was good as long as he stayed on his medication.” Shane and Shawn Gore began showing signs of mental illness in their late teens, relatives told police.

In high school, Shane Gore was hearing voices and seeing visions of dragons, relatives said.

The brothers attended the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville, where Shawn Gore had a baseball scholarship. Shane Gore played high school football.

In 2001, Judy Gore fell ill and began kidney dialysis, then developed rheumatoid arthritis. Shane Gore took care of his mother when she couldn’t do things for herself, relatives told police. He worked sporadically for his father, who ran a poultry consultant business.

Don Gore had medical problems, too. He’d had heart bypass surgery and was fitted with a pacemaker in early 2005.

After Shawn Gore was convicted in 2004, Shane Gore lived with his parents in their family home at 16195 S. Arkansas 170 in West Fork.

In mid-2005, Judy Gore told friends Shane Gore was arguing with her and her husband over getting his own apartment.

Judy Gore was afraid that if he left home, he’d stop taking his medication and wind up in prison like his brother.

On Oct. 30, 2005, Judy and Don Gore were found fatally shot in their bedroom with their throats cut.

After the murders, Shane Gore took his parents’ van, withdrew $ 4, 000 from their bank account, on which he was a signatory, and drove to Las Vegas and then Phoenix.

He later turned up in a Mesa, Ariz., psychiatric hospital, where he was admitted by police after behaving strangely at a local motel.

Staff at the Mesa hospital told Washington County sheriff ’s deputies that Gore was delusional and rambling about “shotgunning two people in Arkansas,” documents state.

Days later, he told deputies he shot his father, 63, and his mother, 64, while they slept and “finished the job” with a filet knife from the kitchen. Gore gave deputies different reasons: His parents made him an “indentured servant;” his Indian blood made him kill; and Don Gore refused to let him move to Las Vegas and gamble for a living. “It’s turned out to be a beautiful ending for me because I’m feeling safe in safe hands,” Shane Gore told police on Nov. 11, 2005. “This is the right thing to be doing. Just to let you know, that I am a killer. I’m an outlaw and I got pushed beyond my limits.” LONG-TERM OUTLOOK Michael J. Simon, supervising forensic psychologist at the State Hospital, determined in June that Gore was severely mentally ill but legally responsible for his behavior.

Simon cited actions by Gore that showed he knew right from wrong before and during the murders.

He put a shotgun in his room the night before and planned how he’d kill his parents in the morning. He waited until school buses had left the area to make sure nobody heard gunshots. And he killed his parents just before they were to leave town on a business trip so it would be less likely they’d be missed, Simon wrote in the report.

While in prison, Paddock hopes Gore is separated from the general population and put in one of the special units for the mentally ill.

“I think he’ll have to be medicated all his life,” Paddock said.

Prison spokesman Dina Tyler said it’s up to Gore to take his medication voluntarily, but in rare cases the prison seeks a court order to force-medicate.

“We can’t just do it because we feel like it,” Tyler said. “It’s in cases of extreme management problems.” Shawn Gore is in the general population at the Cummins Unit near Pine Bluff.

Whether he’s taking his medication is private information, Tyler said.

Links