SC father accused of killing teenager at party

This is a discussion on SC father accused of killing teenager at party within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; SC father accused of killing teenager at party - Yahoo! News I'm not so sure about this being murder... LEXINGTON, S.C. - A South Carolina ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SC father accused of killing teenager at party

SC father accused of killing teenager at party

SC father accused of killing teenager at party - Yahoo! News

I'm not so sure about this being murder...

LEXINGTON, S.C. - A South Carolina man shot an unarmed teenager to death after a scuffle at a weekend party thrown by his children, then shot two teens involved in a retaliatory shooting at his home, authorities said Tuesday.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Francis Marion Reeves III, 62, is charged with murder in the Friday shooting death of 17-year-old Deshaun Rashad Clark and was released on a $125,000 bond after a Tuesday court hearing.

The shooting is still under investigation, but prosecutors and authorities described a chaotic scene at the small party hosted by Reeves' children at the family's lake house in Lexington County, just west of Columbia.

Reeves' children claimed a cell phone was stolen. Someone accused Clark of taking it, and he scuffled with another person and was struck several times before leaving and threatening to return with friends, police said.

Reeves' son went to the family's other nearby home to get his father, who brought a loaded pistol and unloaded shotgun over to the lake house. The father was told that his daughter had been attacked at the party and watched as his son was attacked by three people.

After Clark returned with friends, Reeves shot him, prosecutors said. Partygoers scattered and friends took the injured teen to a fire station. He died at a hospital.

"He literally bled to death," prosecutor Rick Hubbard said.

Reeves' attorney, Dick Harpootlian, said his client acted in self-defense, fearing that he and his children were in danger.

"This is a tragedy. Anytime somebody dies, anytime somebody's killed, that's a tragedy, but one has a right to act in self defense," Harpootlian said.

Reeves returned to his home afterward and was sitting on the front porch when one of the slain teen's friends drove by and shot at his home in retaliation, police said. Reeves fired back with a shotgun, police said, striking two teens who were in the car. They were not seriously injured.

One of the slain teen's friends has been charged with assault with intent to kill in the drive-by shooting. Breon Jacoby Mayers, 17, remained in jail Tuesday after his bail was set at $100,000.

When deputies arrested Reeves on Saturday, he appeared intoxicated, authorities said.

"He was traumatized and upset about what had happened and had been up all night long. And he had several drinks," Harpootlian said.

Reeves did not speak about the shooting during the hearing Tuesday, but nodded to family members as he left the courtroom. Around two dozen family members of the slain teen also attended.

Family members described Clark as a soft-spoken and sensitive teen who planned to play sports at Chapin High School this year.

Family members and some residents of the community have speculated that race was a factor in the shooting the dead teen is black and Reeves and his children are white but authorities say race was not a factor.

Clark's uncle, Corinthea Stack, 49, said he feared that Reeves' release could cause more violence in the town just 22 miles from the state's capital.

"We don't want it to inflame ... more violence," Stack said.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

Still need more facts. I guess it depends on what happened as the returning teens approached. I'm sure the man had several options to deter the advance before resorting to that.

What a mess.

Clark's uncle, Corinthea Stack, 49, said he feared that Reeves' release could cause more violence in the town just 22 miles from the state's capital.

"We don't want it to inflame ... more violence," Stack said.
    Well, it doesn't seem likely. At least, so long as Stack doesn't threaten to "get some friends" and come back with multiple firearms to follow up on that threat. That seems to be what her nephew did, to his own demise.

The article seems a bit poorly written. It's hard to tell all the basic facts. If as it seems, one guy threatened to come back with friends, implying he'd get revenge for the outrage he felt he'd been dealt, then he arrives with multiple firearms. Seems to me that someone defending his family from such an intrusion, knowing the immediate history and "heat", would have every right to so. But then, I wasn't there and don't know specifically what was said, done, the timing, etc.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Lots of setails missing but knowing that area I cannot rule out he idea that this is gang related considering the drive by shooting. Very bad from all points.

The situation went from bad to worse. Maybe they should have called the LEOs when they left to tell Dad what was going on. Some of the LEOs being there might have quelled some of the hurt feelings.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Ho, boy. Booze. I've yet to see anything booze made easier to take. Every problem I've ever had before having a drink was worse after.

"Family members described Clark as a soft-spoken and sensitive teen who planned to play sports at Chapin High School this year."

Oh, yeah. And he has friends that go around pulling drive by's?

Dang. My cousin's kids all went to that high school. Too close for comfort.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

I also suspect it's going to be a lot less than murder.

I hope Francis Marion Reeves is innocent if only because he was obviously named after one of the great South Carolinian generals from our Revolutionary War. Francis Marion, the Swamp Fox.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by jeephipwr View Post
    The situation went from bad to worse. Maybe they should have called the LEOs when they left to tell Dad what was going on. Some of the LEOs being there might have quelled some of the hurt feelings.
    I agree with jeepman here.....if the LEO's had been called when they went to get dad.....
    it might have turn out differently

What's the fascination with stealing cell phones? From what I gather the unwanted guest was a black guy at an all white party.

These folks don't call the police for every little problem. Sounds like they live out in the boonies where the fire station is probably city hall/center.

Drive by crap doesn't work out as well when the targets have long guns and are proficient with them.

*more info here

http://www.thestate.com/local/story/494408.html

Not sure of all the details.... But on it's surface, the father should not have been arrested if Clark and his buddies returned and had weapons. That should be seen as an obvious self defense shooting.

Which leads me to believe that maybe they did not possess any visible weapons at the time the father shot him. Prompting the arrest and charges.

However, if witnesses can attest that when Clark & Co. returned they were issuing threats of death or serious injury then he will probably have to argue there was a clear disparity of force being the reason he fired. Either way, that kind of defense is going to cost some serious coin.

Obviously this is all speculation based on only the limited information and using some logical assumptions.

Things could end up being totally different. Just hope someone posts some more details as they develop.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Lexington is not the boonies it is largely a suburban city of Columbia. Parts of Lexington county are rural still but the city itself isn't.

Sharkey

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    "Family members described Clark as a soft-spoken and sensitive teen who planned to play sports at Chapin High School this year."
    Always amazes me that the perp is portrayed as such a 'good kid or guy', and the defender is always some kind of a nut.

Sounds like a situation that went from bad to worse; unfortunate for certain. Hopefully the facts will come out, and justice will prevail.
    However, while calling LEO's should have been done, what is the response time? When confronted by several irate teens that are making threats and bringing in 'reinforcements'; Mr Reeves was obviously in a disparate situation. Timing is of the essence.

I faced three teens looking for a quick take-down alone in a dark parking lot one night, and although not armed at the time, (wasn't legal here then) it wouldn't have taken much to escalate to that level. Fortunately, I am not prey, once they determined that, they decided to move on. Nonetehless, calling 9-1-1 would not have helped me at all and three against one is a BAD situation, I don't care who you are.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
    Lexington is not the boonies it is largely a suburban city of Columbia. Parts of Lexington county are rural still but the city itself isn't.

Sharkey

A small party Friday night at a lake house near Chapin led to three teenage boys being shot one fatally and the arrests of a 62-year-old man and a 17-year-old boy.

Sounds like they weren't in the city to me.

Sounds like the LEO's should have been called after the guy left and threatened to come back with pals. All the same, it does appear that it at least could be justifiable self-defense.

Quote Originally Posted by riverkeeper View Post
    I hope Francis Marion Reeves is innocent if only because he was obviously named after one of the great South Carolinian generals from our Revolutionary War. Francis Marion, the Swamp Fox.
    Learn something new every day. Francis Marion Tarwater is the main character from my favorite novel, The Violent Bear it Away by Flannery O'Connor.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links