Minor Fender-Bender Leads to Murderous Rampage in Fla.

This is a discussion on Minor Fender-Bender Leads to Murderous Rampage in Fla. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; LAKE HAMILTON, Fla. A Florida man was arrested after allegedly going on a violent rampage after a minor fender-bender, slashing and stabbing the occupants ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minor Fender-Bender Leads to Murderous Rampage in Fla.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar

LAKE HAMILTON, Fla. A Florida man was arrested after allegedly going on a violent rampage after a minor fender-bender, slashing and stabbing the occupants of a car, then running over and killing a woman who had been riding in another nearby vehicle.

Casey Weldon Till, 26, of Haines City, faces murder and carjacking charges after the attacks involving family members traveling in two vehicles.

The Polk County Sheriff's Office tracked Till to his home through a pill bottle left at the scene late Sunday night. Police allege that he killed Odalis Cespedes, 41, by running her over twice. Till told police he was high on crack at the time.

The violence apparently unfolded after Till's minivan slammed into a stopped car being driven by Cespedes' daughter, 19-year-old Ivon Despaigne, and her boyfriend, 21-year-old Angel Gonzalez, of Kissimmee. When the couple got out to check the damage, Till allegedly slashed Gonzalez's throat and stabbed Despaigne in the neck.

Investigators say Till then got into the couple's car and repeatedly rammed the vehicle ahead, occupied by Cespedes, her husband, 41-year-old Mario Despaigne, and their 6-month-old granddaughter.

The couple got their granddaughter out of the car seat and Cespedes was trying to flee with the baby in her arms when she was killed, Mario Despaigne said in an interview with The Ledger, which was conducted through an interpreter.

Mario Despaigne said Till drove over his wife's leg, then ran over her again after seeing she was still moving. Despaigne said he grabbed the baby. Then Gonzalez got into Till's van and hit him, then tried to back over him, but Till rolled out of the way, according to the arrest report.

Till then allegedly ran back to his van, ignoring commands to stop from a Lake Hamilton police officer who happened upon the scene. Till sped off, hitting officer David Hurst in the arm and midsection with the van's open door.

Till had locked himself in his bathroom and cut his wrists by the time investigators found him, the report said. He allegedly admitted the attacks to his wife and mother.

The police report listed Gonzalez and Ivon Despaigne in critical condition, but a local hospital would not provide information about their condition Tuesday.

Till was being held Tuesday in the Polk County Jail on charges of murder, attempted murder, aggravated battery on a law enforcement officer, carjacking and improper exhibition of a weapon. It was not immediately known if Till had an attorney.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Administrator
    Florida gets nuttier daily.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Wow!!!! This is sad..."A fender-bender"

Sad, and not one person armed with any kind of personal protection... if one person, any one of them had a ccw and a handgun... it could have been over before the cops went to his house...

He was high on drugs... thats his only excuse...

Not to seem calus but I hope they put him in ol' sparky...

Mike A!

GEEEZ!! He surely was a loose cannon...psycho! And +1 on the statement that if one of them had a protection gun it may have saved a life.
    Yet I find it hard to believe that as this unfolded, of all the people around the scene, that no one had a ccw and intervened. Maybe it happened so fast, didn't want to get involved, etc. But I will tell this much about me, if a woman gets struck by a man I will watch and be a good witness while calling 911, if she looks like she is getting the crap beat out of her i will intervene, if a woman/person gets violently run over by a car i will intervene with both feet meeting that excessive force with as much force as i have at my disposal, this is my voice, my body, and 15 rounds of hydra-shock ammunition. Then after that is exhausted I still have a 2 lb. block of steel to utilize.
    It's a sad situation...and it was "because I was high on crack"...uh huh.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Yeah, I am sure that being high on crack had nothing to do with causing the rampage. It must have all been the fender bender...which likely was caused by the fact that Till was high on crack.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

I find it irritating that the author titled it to sounds like a case of road rage when it was a cage of drug rage.

place the blaim where it is due, don't misrepresent it for some unrelated agenda.
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
    Yeah, I am sure that being high on crack had nothing to do with causing the rampage. It must have all been the fender bender...which likely was caused by the fact that Till was high on crack.

Double Naught... I have known many people who were "users" I grew up in and around Tampa, FL...

None of them had rampages like this... so what was it?
    Was he having a bad trip, maybe he heard the "voices"?

I don't care who you are, no one high or not does this without being messed up prior to the drugs... I really hope they fry him...

Mike A!
    Last edited by Scott; August 24th, 2008 at 06:22 AM. Reason: profanity in another language is still profanity

Crazy! Just crazy!
    Glad I don't live in Fla and even more glad I would had the means to stop this craziness!
    One man with a gun can control 100 without one.
    Vladimir Lenin

Just another case of a poor mis-understood young man, barely out of his teenage years, who didn't get enought love,affection and counseling.

Send in the ACLU..
    Let's see how many thousands of taxpayer dollars will be wasted on a piece of dung like him...

Why waste money he admitted to the crime there is no doubt he is guilty tie him down and let the survivors run him over til he's just a puddle of goo in the road
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Why waste money he admitted to the crime there is no doubt he is guilty tie him down and let the survivors run him over til he's just a puddle of goo in the road
    +1,000. You could even use it as a fund raiser for the 6 mo. old child, charge $5 a turn.

I agree with mlakrid, there must have been something loose in Till already, and the drugs set it loose.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Evil walks the Earth. That's why I carry.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Cant this guy get a fast track to the death penalty. He slit his own wrist so we should just help him along.
    NRA Member

His guy was obviously a PSYCHO NUT JOB. Road rage ? Drug rage ? Well they might have added to it, but he quite certainly was a loony tune that just finally went over the edge. Unfortunate for the folks he attacked. Too bad none had any means of self protection. Got to give credit to Gonzalez for having the presence of mind in all what was going on to get into Till's vehicile and run him down, too bad the first hit did not take him out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links