Ugly: Woman stabbed in Queens, NYC; pleas for help ignored

This is a discussion on Ugly: Woman stabbed in Queens, NYC; pleas for help ignored within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Queens, again. Another woman brutalized and fatally wounded, screaming for help. Another instance of folks ignoring the cries for help. Shades of Kitty Genovese. Five ...

Thread: Ugly: Woman stabbed in Queens, NYC; pleas for help ignored

Thumbs down Ugly: Woman stabbed in Queens, NYC; pleas for help ignored

Queens, again. Another woman brutalized and fatally wounded, screaming for help. Another instance of folks ignoring the cries for help. Shades of Kitty Genovese. Five miles apart, nearly 45yrs ago. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

NYC stabbing victim's cries for help ignored

New York (AP) New York City investigators wonder why neighbors waited more than a half hour before calling police after hearing the screams for help from a woman who was stabbed to death at a Queens apartment.

Police found Ebony Garcia, 21, lying in a pool of blood at about 2:10 a.m Saturday. She was stabbed about a dozen times and died two hours later at a local hospital.

Witnesses say neighbors ignored the woman's screams for more than 30 minutes before someone called the police. One neighbor said she ignored the cries because she thought the victim had been drinking.

Police want to question Garcia's boyfriend, against whom she had obtained a restraining order.
    Apparently, the ex-boyfriend is being sought by investigators. The invaluable restraining order was in place.

Detectives are looking for the ex-boyfriend of a Queens woman stabbed to death early yesterday, a man with whom she had a violent history, New York City police said.

Ebony Garcia, 21, was seen at a bar late Saturday near the building where she died on 121st Street in College Point, Queens, drinking for more than an hour with Segundo Penafiel, 25, of Corona, police said. The pair ordered takeout and left together, witnesses later told police.

Shortly before 2 a.m., Garcia phoned an out-of-state cousin and told her that she had been followed home. The cousin called the victim's aunt in New York, who called 911 and reported a fight at the apartment.

Over the next several minutes, at least three neighbors made 911 calls about a woman in the building screaming that she was being stabbed. The later calls "sounded more dire," a police source said.

Officers found Garcia lying outside the building, bleeding from several stab wounds to the torso. Garcia was transported to New York Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

Detectives yesterday were looking for Penafiel, who was described as 5-foot-11 and 165 pounds, wearing a light-colored T-shirt, blue jeans and a light-colored do-rag. The couple have a rocky history, police said, including three domestic abuse reports since June, when Penafiel allegedly hit Garcia with an iron. He was charged with felony assault but later pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct.

Garcia also had an order of protection against Penafiel, which he violated Aug. 14 after he allegedly showed up at her job and punched her, police said.

Anyone with any information can call 1-800-577-TIPS or text tips to 274637, then enter tip577.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    This just shows where American is today. Its a shame people will not help one another..........we should.........I think its written in the oldest book written.......
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Very sad story.

Very sad indeed. I was living in Queens at the time of that Genovese killing so many years ago, and remember it well. It may have defined my desire to CCW in my later life.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Why is she seen drinking with a guy she has a restraining order against,If you want to use the system to leave a violent realationship then fine,but if you keep going back to the guy ,I'm sorry nobody bothered to call the cops but they were probably used to hearing them fighting so why think it's anything different.I gotta put some of the blame on the victim she mada a choice to hook up and invite him in
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

When you live in a bad urban neighborhood, you have to put up with fights and domestic disturbances outside on the street at night several times a week. After a while you just learn to ignore them. If you didn't ignore them, you'd never get any sleep! I had a loud fan blowing in my room every night to drown it out, even in the winter. Now that I'm in the burbs, I learned to sleep without the fan.

Everyone should be responsible for their own safety. Don't depend on your neighbors and don't depend on the cops. Isn't that what this forum is all about?
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

Quote Originally Posted by whyipackmy45 View Post
    Everyone should be responsible for their own safety. Don't depend on your neighbors and don't depend on the cops. Isn't that what this forum is all about?
    Yes that is sort of what this forum is about. Some here will give assistance to others if need be. There are states that will still allow you to help your neighbor in need. I am not beyond that in some circumstances.

If you were in a serious car wreck would you want someone to call 911 if you or the other driver was unable, or would you want them to just leave you there unattened to die?

That being said, a simple phone call to 911 is not that hard to do, espcially if the screems are coming from inside your own appartment building. Being in NYC, it is very unlikely that she or anyone around was capable of rendering aid with a firearm.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Speaking of NYC and calling the police...

Just last week my friend was in his apartment in Brooklyn and someone started pulling out the screen window in his kitchen. He called the cops and within minutes they had a chopper overhead, and several cars and police with dogs.

I couldn't believe the response, but it turns out there have been similar break-ins and rapes in the area recently.

The guy got away, but my friend gave a description and looked through a bunch of mug shots.

He asked me for advice on a home defense gun that is legal in NYC and around $300, so I sent him a link to a Remington 870 for around that price.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

45 years ago Kitty Genovese...Kew Gardens Queens

Sad that this could happen again...

It was just after 3 a.m.

A red Fiat rolled slowly through the darkness into a parking space adjacent to the Long Island Rail Road station in Kew Gardens. The young woman behind the wheel emerged from the car and locked it. She began the 100-foot walk toward her apartment house at 82-70 Austin St.

But then she spotted a man standing along her route. Apparently afraid, she changed direction and headed toward the intersection of Austin and Lefferts Boulevard -- where there was a police call box.

Suddenly, the man overtook her and grabbed her. She screamed. Residents of nearby apartment houses turned on their lights and threw open their windows. The woman screamed again: ``Oh, my God, he stabbed me! Please help me!''

A man in a window shouted: ``Let that girl alone.'' The attacker walked away. Apartment lights went out and windows slammed shut. The victim staggered toward her apartment. But the attacker returned and stabbed her again.

``I'm dying!'' she cried.

Windows opened again. The attacker entered a car and drove away. Windows closed, but the attacker soon came back again. His victim had crawled inside the front door of an apartment house at 82-62 Austin St. He found her sprawled on the floor and stabbed her still again. This time he killed her.

It was not until 3:50 that morning -- March 13, 1964 -- that a neighbor of the victim called police. Officers arrived two minutes later and found the body. They identified the victim as Catherine Genovese, 28, who had been returning from her job as manager of a bar in Hollis. Neighbors knew her not as Catherine but as Kitty.

Kitty Genovese: It was a name that would become symbolic in the public mind for a dark side of the national character. It would stand for Americans who were too indifferent or too frightened or too alienated or too self-absorbed to ``get involved'' in helping a fellow human being in dire trouble. A term ``the Genovese syndrome'' would be coined to describe the attitude.

Detectives investigating Genovese's murder discovered that no fewer than 38 of her neighbors had witnessed at least one of her killer's three attacks but had neither come to her aid nor called the police. The one call made to the police came after Genovese was already dead.

I remember that case well. As for myself I would come to the aid of my fellow human being. It was the way I was raised and I have done it more then once. And I do not feel bad about it, or need to apologize for it.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Thats a pretty basic psychological principle at work. In large groups...no one will act. Everyone expects someone else to do something first or expects someone else to have called 911 or whatever.

However, if one person chose to act..others will follow.

Boyfriend caught, arrested: click.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links