Girl, 16, in hospital after botched robbery shooting

This is a discussion on Girl, 16, in hospital after botched robbery shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Girl, 16, in hospital after botched robbery shooting Lindsey Collom The Arizona Republic Dec. 6, 2005 04:02 PM A 16-year-old is in the hospital after ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Girl, 16, in hospital after botched robbery shooting

DC Founder

Lindsey Collom
    The Arizona Republic
    Dec. 6, 2005 04:02 PM

A 16-year-old is in the hospital after being shot during a botched robbery at a video store.

Police said the teen demanded cash from the register while pointing a small-caliber handgun at a Hollywood Video clerk and three patrons Monday night.

The Republic is not naming the teen because she is a juvenile.

Witnesses told police that one of the customers, who had a concealed weapons permit, fired several rounds when the girl pointed a gun at him. She was struck twice and fled the store at 1950 W. Indian School Road.

Police said the teen got into a white Honda and was driven to an apartment in the 4300 block of North 19th Avenue, where a resident called 911 for help.

She was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center for non-life threatening wounds. On Tuesday, the girl was booked into the jail ward at Maricopa Medical Center on suspicion of armed robbery and four counts of aggravated assault.

Authorities want to speak with Donnyetta Braxton, 24, who police consider to be an investigative lead. She was last seen driving a white Honda Del Sol. Anyone with information is asked to call 911.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I wish I had that in the newspaper here so I could cut it out and show it to those kids tomorrow! That's what happens to you when you act like an idiot!

Lead Moderator
    16 and already totally screwed up her life...... Way to go.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    *sigh* Another child victim of senseless gun violence.

Oh mah gawd, he like, shot me!
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Assistant Administrator
    How long before we see not ''age 16" but ''age 14'' or ''age 12''.

I think these wannabe robber kids want to think hard about their intended ''profession'' and remember if they are in a carry state that they just might get on the receiving end of what they plan to dish out.

Tell ya what - if carry was as universal as it should be, then I doubt kids (even stupid ones) would contemplate such excercizes.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    I wish I had that in the newspaper here so I could cut it out and show it to those kids tomorrow! That's what happens to you when you act like an idiot!
    You can always print the webpage.

Botched Robbery

Notice something interesting: There is no mention of anybody else but the girl getting shot or that shots were exchanged. So I am assuming that either she did not know how to use the gun or she never expected that somebody would fight back and got a couple of new holes for her beliefs.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Assistant Administrator
    Could well have been she was ignorant and nieve - thinking ''a gun'' was her passport to riches - whether it was real or not - and whether she knew how to use it - or not.

Big mistake. I hope it just might convey a message to her peers, if the story gets around enough. In that case it would be one more star in the CCW success catalog. Deterance is everything.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

But this does spawn a serious debate [maybe]....

Would you be able to administer lethal force legally upon someone that is or appears to be a youngster? This reminds me of stories I've heard about Vietnam - where children suicide bombers were sent toward US infantryment because the VC knew that a grown man would never be allowed to approach and that the infantrymen might hesitate.

What do y'all think? It's too tough a call for me to say, I just want to hear some opinion!
    S&W 5906
    si vis pacem, para bellum

protego communis bona

I think that in all likelihood, this 16 year old probably looked and seemed considerably older when she committed this act. Those people didn't know she was 16.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I would like to know>> What weapon the GG was using ? What cal. ? How many times the sweet little(probably totally innocent) little darling was hit ? Where she was hit ? How long will it be before the brady bunch try's to outlaw the "assault pistol"/revo used by the GG ? -------d2thomas,ref. the VN thing,(with respect)if you wern't there you wouldn't understand.........

DUDE what the crap? Why is everyone so defensive whenever I post anything?

So if I wasn't in Vietnam, I can't even mention a story a heard to illustrate a point? I think you totally missed the point of my story too, RSSZ - with respect. The whole point of that reference was to show that in history, children are harder to administer lethal force to. That story I believe, is relevant and holds bearing in reference to the current topic at hand.

Just so you know, I hold a BA in American History and I'm currently finishing up another one. Please do not insult my intelligence by telling me that if I wasn't there, I wouldn't understand.......
    S&W 5906

protego communis bona

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by d2thomas
    But this does spawn a serious debate [maybe]....

Would you be able to administer lethal force legally upon someone that is or appears to be a youngster? This reminds me of stories I've heard about Vietnam - where children suicide bombers were sent toward US infantryment because the VC knew that a grown man would never be allowed to approach and that the infantrymen might hesitate.

What do y'all think? It's too tough a call for me to say, I just want to hear some opinion!
    They grow up pretty quick when they are pointing a gun at you.

As to the legality of using deadly force to defend yourself against a teenager with a gun, I looked at the Florida statutes and cannot find anyplace where the law states that your assailant must have reached the age of majority to constitute a lethal threat when armed.

It is a difficult choice. I submit that in this case, the best judge of whether or not this would-be robber posed a lethal threat would be the CCW holder who shot her. That person apparently felt she constituted a lethal threat.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson
    They grow up pretty quick when they are pointing a gun at you.
    +1, I agree. Difficult as it may seem outside the situation, I agree.
    S&W 5906

protego communis bona

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    How long before we see not ''age 16" but ''age 14'' or ''age 12''.

I think these wannabe robber kids want to think hard about their intended ''profession'' and remember if they are in a carry state that they just might get on the receiving end of what they plan to dish out.

I doubt they will even consider what might happen to em, at 16 I was immortal. (Sigh, what ever happened?)

As for shooting a younger person, while it might cause ya to hesitate, a lethal threat is a lethal threat.

Quote Originally Posted by d2thomas
    DUDE what the crap? Why is everyone so defensive whenever I post anything?
    It's a gun forum brother... people that flock here tend to have strong opinions on darn near everything, and when they agree they agree strongly, and when they don't...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links