They picked the right building.

This is a discussion on They picked the right building. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am in my office today talking to a client that got a letter from the IRS, this one just happens to live down the ...

Thread: They picked the right building.

They picked the right building.

I am in my office today talking to a client that got a letter from the IRS, this one just happens to live down the road from me, so after we finish with the letter we are generally b.sing. Well the wife gets a call from the office manager of the insurance agent in the building next door to ours. They were robbed at gun point just before noon today, luckily noone in the office was injured and no shots were fired. This is an insurance agency that has quite a number of customers that pay with cash on a monthly basis I believe. While she was on the phone with the manager, I noticed that there was a cop car parked funny in our parking lot, but figured he had just pulled someone over for a ticket or something.

Well as soon as she gets off the phone she says what was happening. Apparently my client had seen the person drive up as he was coming into my office, so I go outside and get one of the officers to come over and get the info from my client and he relays that to dispatch.

So for the last hour or so, the lots have been filed with cop cars, crime vans, and news reporters.

Which brings up the questions in my office about whether or not my wife needs to get a gun and keep it by her for when I am out running errands and such. Well during the conversation I ask her what she would do if she was in the office alone and someone came in with a gun and was going to rob the place. Her answer was, I would pull my gun and tell them to get the heck out.
    WRONG ANSWER

Ok, I am not going to go into details about how the conversation went after this point, but needless to say, she isn't getting a gun in her portion of the office any time soon. She will be shooting her GP100 this weekend, and we will continue to discuss Texas law.

Back to the title of the post, I guess they did pick the right office, because had the white chick wearing sunglasses and a spaghetti string top came into our building with a gun and intentions of robbing the place, it would have turned into early target practice this week for me.

I guess I have some work to do now in working with the wife and developing an mindset of going through what if scenarios.

Later today I will go next door and get any other info I can about this deal. Again, I am just glad that no one in their office was injured.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Wonder if the office next door to ya'll was insured?

I couldn't help it......it's been a long day.

Glad nobody got hurt and post an update when you get more info.
    Also best of luck with your wife's mind set.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Well, I definitely agree that you have no business with a gun unless you've developed the mindset of using it, and using it in an aggressive and violent manner. They are definitely nothing to fool around with.

Also you have to know when to pull it and when not to. It can really be suicidal to try and pull your gun when someone already has the drop on you.

I think your wife is developing the right attitude. Only you and her will be able to tell when she is ready.

But I will say, that there are lots of people who have little or no training still be successful in using their guns to defend themselves.

Members of this forum are definitely ahead of the curve in that we at least acknowledge that the more you know the better your chances are, and probably most of us go shooting and train on various scenarios much more frequently than a lot of other people who merely possess a ccw permit, carry a gun and let it go at that.

I say get your wife up to speed as quickly as possible and let her carry her gun in the office as soon as possible.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Oh, don't get me wrong, she knows how to shoot her .357, and is a decent enough shot with it. Not as good as she used to be, but we will work on that.

She just has to change her mindset about whether or not she is going to get into a gun to gun standoff with someone that would come into the office, and then ask them to leave.

A bit more info. I went over after all the cops left and as I suspected the lady that did the robbery knew the layout of the office and where the people would be and who had the money. She knows someone who is insured through their office or has been in there doing business before, but the ladies didn't recognize her. She never actually pointed the gun at any of them, just let them know she had it and kept it down by her side, and stayed calm the whole time. This was not her first ride on the robbery pony, imo.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Busted:

Well they got the gal apparently who robbed the office next door to ours. Looks like her criminal carrier was short lived, thankfully. Good thing the clerk or customers weren't injured in the struggle.

Area woman arrested in Genoa robbery
    By: Lynn LaRowe - Texarkana Gazette - Published: 09/08/2008

Investigators with the Miller County Sheriff’s Department arrested a woman last week whom they suspect not only robbed a Genoa, Ark., grocery store at gunpoint but a Texarkana, Texas, insurance agency as well.

Lori Rayburn is in the Miller County jail. She was taken into custody Aug. 31 after leaving her home in Genoa. Deputies staked out her home and waited to make the arrest until she left because of concern children might have been inside the residence.

Rayburn, 30, is accused of pointing a revolver at an employee of Purifoy’s Grocery Store in Genoa at around 9 p.m. Aug. 30. The clerk who was approached by the robber struggled with her over the gun briefly but stopped when a couple of teen boys entered the store.

“She didn’t want to risk the boys getting hurt,” said Detective Mike Liles.

The clerk handed over the store’s cash box, which contained $3,302 in cash, checks and credit card receipts, Liles said. Of that amount, $2,796 was cash.

Sheriff’s department investigators quickly concluded that their female suspect lived close to Purifoy’s. Included in the clerk’s description of the woman was mention of numerous tattoos on her upper body that allowed for rapid identification of a suspect, Liles said.

Shortly after Rayburn’s arrest by Miller County, Texas-side investigators showed her photo to the employee of Travis Lively Insurance who saw the end of a female robber’s handgun the morning of Aug. 26. About $200 was stolen by a tattooed female robber in that case, according to previous reports.

Rayburn’s photo was picked by the employee, investigators said.

If convicted of aggravated robbery in Miller County, Rayburn faces 10 to 40 years or life in an Arkansas prison. A conviction for aggravated robbery in Bowie County is punishable by five to 99 years or life in a Texas prison.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Bye-bye Lori...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

After she does her time in AR, move her to TX to finish out her 99yrs!
    "Brains before Bullets"

I like permanent identifying marks on criminals,heavily tattooed woman hmmmm yep I don't see a lot of them running around
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post

Which brings up the questions in my office about whether or not my wife needs to get a gun and keep it by her for when I am out running errands and such. Well during the conversation I ask her what she would do if she was in the office alone and someone came in with a gun and was going to rob the place. Her answer was, I would pull my gun and tell them to get the heck out.
    WRONG ANSWER

Ok, I am not going to go into details about how the conversation went after this point, but needless to say, she isn't getting a gun in her portion of the office any time soon. She will be shooting her GP100 this weekend, and we will continue to discuss Texas law.

Who decided if YOU could have a gun ???
    If something bad happened to her that might have been avoided if she carried, you'd have to live with that thought for the rest of your life...
    The SA is not voided by marriage !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    Who decided if YOU could have a gun ???
    If something bad happened to her that might have been avoided if she carried, you'd have to live with that thought for the rest of your life...
    The SA is not voided by marriage !!!
    I decided if I could have a gun, and if I could carry one. Right when I decided that if someone put me in a situation where I am legal to use deadly force that I woud use deadly force.

If your answer to someone pointing a gun at you is to point one back at them and then discuss them leaving the office, you aren't ready to carry a gun. You have not made the descision to use deadly force if necessary.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    After she does her time in AR, move her to TX to finish out her 99yrs!
    +1 !
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I decided if I could have a gun, and if I could carry one. Right when I decided that if someone put me in a situation where I am legal to use deadly force that I woud use deadly force.

If your answer to someone pointing a gun at you is to point one back at them and then discuss them leaving the office, you aren't ready to carry a gun. You have not made the descision to use deadly force if necessary.
    Good Morning, neighbor to the southwest.

What would you do? I would think it depends on whether Lori seemed like she was there to kill or to steal. If I drew I think I would have to kill her. But would I draw? Would you draw.

You have hinted about your wife and stated your conclusion regarding whether she is ready, but I think we need to ask you some more questions regarding your stance.

(I think the grocery clerk struggling and then stopping and living to tell about it is informative. On the other hand, we never know what someone else is really thinging or going to do next.)

Take care,

ed

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    glad to hear they were fine.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Quote Originally Posted by edSky View Post
    Good Morning, neighbor to the southwest.

What would you do? I would think it depends on whether Lori seemed like she was there to kill or to steal. If I drew I think I would have to kill her. But would I draw? Would you draw.

You have hinted about your wife and stated your conclusion regarding whether she is ready, but I think we need to ask you some more questions regarding your stance.

(I think the grocery clerk struggling and then stopping and living to tell about it is informative. On the other hand, we never know what someone else is really thinging or going to do next.)

Take care,

ed
    I don't quite follow your post here. If you read my original post, the robber of the insurance agency next door had a gun pulled on them. She wasn't there to sell cookies. Woman with gun there to steal money = bad thing in my book. If someone comes into my office with a gun you becha I am going to be drawing and putting them down.

What questions do you think you need to be asking me regarding my stance?

No, I am not going to be struggling with someone when they have a gun. Not if I can help it, and if I have my gun on me, then I can help it. Fighting over someone else's gun would be the last thing I would attempt to do.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Thanks for the follow up. All I was getting at was that you stated "WRONG ANSWER" and I wanted to know what your assessment was. There are many ways to handle a situation based on the dynamics. Sheesh.

Perhaps "stance" wasn't the right word - either way, forget I asked. It's not like I wanted to learn anything.

Links