Family Outraged After 5-Year-Old Shoots Baby Brother in Head

This is a discussion on Family Outraged After 5-Year-Old Shoots Baby Brother in Head within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Family Outraged After 5-Year-Old Shoots Baby Brother in Head Tuesday, August 26, 2008 The grandfather of a baby who was shot in the head by ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Family Outraged After 5-Year-Old Shoots Baby Brother in Head

Thumbs down Family Outraged After 5-Year-Old Shoots Baby Brother in Head

Family Outraged After 5-Year-Old Shoots Baby Brother in Head

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The grandfather of a baby who was shot in the head by the toddler's five-year-old sister in England has criticized the children's father for keeping an airgun.

Bakht Rammand said he had already destroyed one air rifle owned by his son Bakht Zaman.

But he was powerless to take action a second time because Zaman had moved into a new home with his family.

Eighteen-month-old Rashid Rullah was accidentally shot in the head while Zaman was using the gun in the family’s lawn.

When Zaman stopped target practice to answer his cell phone, his daughter accidentally fired the gun while her father's back was turned.

Police have described the shooting as a "tragic accident.”

Rammand, 48, said: "Having something like this in the house, especially when there are kids all over the place, is a bad idea. I found one gun in the house when he was living with me...but this gun I didn't know about because he lives separately now otherwise I would have cut this gun to pieces as well."

Rashid remains in a critical condition in hospital.

The incident happened in the Washwood Heath area of Birmingham.

The shooting prompted campaigners to call for legislation to make airgun owners liable for their misuse.
    Amazing!

Amazing negligence!
    Amazing attitudes!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

And amazing new laws on the horizon!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

<------is not amazed, nor surprised. this did happen in the U.K., after all.

Maybe if they took away all the air, they could make the air guns useless.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Tragic.

Another item to add to my "nothing from the UK surprises me anymore" file.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Sad, but you can't turn your back when you have a gun & kids around. All it takes is a second for an accident to happen.

I'm all for making parents responsible for their children's accidents although in this case, they are probably paying the price. blaming the object or circumstance is the norm these days...

responsibility has taken on a whole new meaning in our society...it means nothing...

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Horrible mistake on the part of the father, and horrible attitudes all around. The Grandfather doesn't seem to blame the son, but rather the air gun. And the "powerless to take action" bit sounds like a plea for more laws. Obviously the answer is to pass a law requiring ones extended family to approve of any purchases they make.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

I wonder if the U.K. culture causes greater ignorance of proper gun handling? At the opposite extreme (I mean us), we work very hard at being safe.
    I went to buy some camouflage pants, but I couldn't find any.

We should fly over their country and drop DVD copies of Christmas Story to educate them.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

Kinda funny how during WW2 they didn't view people with guns or even guns as being evil,IIRC I believe everybody that could carry and shoot was armed and asked to help defend the country,if that same scenario happened today I believe the outcome would be much different
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whyipackmy45 View Post
    We should fly over their country and drop DVD copies of Christmas Story to educate them.
    Oh we should drop something on them but not DVD's.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by whyipackmy45 View Post
    Sadly your comment made me laugh:
    "You'll Shoot yer eye out KID... HO... HO... HO..."

Hope it turns out alright...

Mike A!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    in England
    IMHO that says it all . Now while i recognize that accidents can happen , and kids can exploit an opportunity a mouse would not look at to get in trouble , somehow i feel that in a state where you go to the ER to get a bandaid because then its free , parenting pretty much plaid a role . The UK is almost totally disarmed , and from reading the press from over there i cannot honestly say that that is a bad thing . Chris and some other expats that i respect aside i gotta say you cannot fix stupid , and the entire island is institutional stupid any more .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Kinda funny how during WW2 they didn't view people with guns or even guns as being evil,IIRC I believe everybody that could carry and shoot was armed and asked to help defend the country,if that same scenario happened today I believe the outcome would be much different

The England we knew is gone, leaving a nation of ninnies that are ready, willing, and anxious to surrender to anyone and anything.

Sadly, we seem to be headed that way at breakneck speed.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links