Good: Woman Shoots At Men Trying To Break Into Car

Good: Woman Shoots At Men Trying To Break Into Car

This is a discussion on Good: Woman Shoots At Men Trying To Break Into Car within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police: Woman Shoots At Men Trying To Break Into Car Suspect Airlifted To Hospital MIAMI LAKES, Fla. -- Miami-Dade police said a woman opened fire ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good: Woman Shoots At Men Trying To Break Into Car

VIP Member

Thumbs up Good: Woman Shoots At Men Trying To Break Into Car

Police: Woman Shoots At Men Trying To Break Into Car
    Suspect Airlifted To Hospital

MIAMI LAKES, Fla. --
    Miami-Dade police said a woman opened fire on three men who were trying to break into a car in Miami Lakes early Thursday.

The three men were trying to break into a car outside a home near Northwest 57th Avenue north of the Palmetto Expressway at about 1:30 a.m., police said. Miami-Dade police said they think the men were trying to steal the car's stereo.

A man and a woman who were inside the home came outside. When the man got into a confrontation with the three men, the woman started firing a gun, police said. Neighbors said they heard between four and seven shots.

"These subjects came here to do a crime," said Bobby Williams of the Miami-Dade Police Department. "Once that crime was committed, the boyfriend came out to stop them or at least to talk to them. They attacked him, so she was in fear for her boyfriend's safety and herself."

Ilana Lopez was inside the home at the time of the shooting.

"If he was in my property, burglarizing one of our vehicles, she did what she had to do to protect it," Lopez said.

The three men took off in an SUV, which police said was stolen. Police stopped the suspects outside a nearby CVS store and arrested them.

One of the three men had been shot in the chest and was airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital. He was in critical condition, NBC 6's Steve Litz reported.

The investigation continues. The suspects were expected to face charges.

Lopez said the car stereo was stolen once before, about three weeks ago.

"What can I say? I'm just tired of this going on around here," she said.

Florida's "Castle Doctrine" allows a potential victim to respond with deadly force if an intruder or criminal has intentions of death or great bodily harm, Litz reported. If the shooting is justified, the person will not be prosecuted.

Police said the shooting appeared to be justified, so the woman who fired the shots might not face charges.

The woman had no comment for reporters Thursday morning.

The names of those involved have not been released.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Sounds OK to me. Personally, when I woke to some banging out back and a human-shaped shadow going past the sliding patio door in my bedroom, I armed myself and called the cops. But I don't see anything wrong in this story as told.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Arrested at CVS...........someone was going to play doctor......
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Personally it again shows the danger of going outside. Aside from the legal bind you might get into, you simple risk getting killed over a car (you were safe in the house, now you are exposed).

From my point of view, I'm calling the cops and they can have the car if it comes to that. If they come to the door, the party then changes.

Administrator
    Wow... that would never fly here, but I'm glad for the lady. Thats the way it should be.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post

The woman had no comment for reporters Thursday morning.
    Holy cow, I just saw that part...A person with a brain, amazing.

The police spokesman put a good spin on this. It could have gone the other way too. "Teen shot outside by vigilante over cheap stereo." I hope they don't prosecute her.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Wow... that would never fly here, but I'm glad for the lady. Thats the way it should be.
    Well Sixto, your just going to have to move to Texas then, after all you are quoting that Texan Kinky Friedman in your signature.

Glad they aren't looking to prosecute the gal, and maybe crime will go down in that neighborhood since now folks know they will get shot.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I too agree!!!

Quote Originally Posted by philman View Post
    Personally it again shows the danger of going outside. Aside from the legal bind you might get into, you simple risk getting killed over a car (you were safe in the house, now you are exposed).

From my point of view, I'm calling the cops and they can have the car if it comes to that. If they come to the door, the party then changes.
    The vehicle is INSURED!!! Just because something is legal doesn't make it right...
    4 to 7 shots one hit in the chest...Thank God the other rounds didn't hit an innocent person...

What is not right about protecting one's own property from a thief even if it is insured?

Do we not try to drive safely since our cars are insured? Do we not lock the doors to our cars (I don't when I have the soft top on my Jeep because they will just cut it and cost me more money) and houses since they are insured?

If the law allows for deadly force against a criminal when they are stealing, or whatever else, then I say too bad for the criminal. You are both right and within the law for using deadly force to protect what is yours, whether it is person or property.

I am just sorry there are not more states that feel this way. When the innocent party is forced to retreat, and watch the crime take place, only to hope that the criminal will get caught and the police will retrieve some of their possessions, that is a sad state of affairs in my book.

How much are some willing to give up in order to cause no harm to a criminal because something is insured or there was no permanent damage done?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    A man and a woman who were inside the home came outside. When the man got into a confrontation with the three men, the woman started firing a gun, police said. Neighbors said they heard between four and seven shots.

"These subjects came here to do a crime," said Bobby Williams of the Miami-Dade Police Department. "Once that crime was committed, the boyfriend came out to stop them or at least to talk to them. They attacked him, so she was in fear for her boyfriend's safety and herself."

Ilana Lopez was inside the home at the time of the shooting.

"If he was in my property, burglarizing one of our vehicles, she did what she had to do to protect it," Lopez said.
    Wow! FL is getting almost as good at this as TX.
    Guys outside, stealing the stereo, and shooting is okay.

I have to say I'm impressed. Surprised, but impressed.

How many times can you get ripped off and intimidated before you react?

As we say in the South: Some folks just need killin'.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    What is not right about protecting one's own property from a thief even if it is insured?
    This comment comes up quite often, and I say Nothing at all...however, risking getting killed over it is not worth it for me. Its a personal decision.

The analogy of comparing it to driving safe is ridiculous (the reason I drive safe is because I am driving, I don't go get in the car to see if I can drive safe). A better analogy would be that you take a brand new car to a demolition derby just to see how well it goes just because its insured.

Not to mention, if you leave safety (the house) and move into non-safety (confront someone outside), that could have been avoided, then regardless of what the prosecutor says, in most cases you will find yourself in a legal bind for many years (the prosecutor does not control civil court). The legal costs alone would buy a new car instead. really, they can have the car.

Unfortunately we rarely see "the rest of the story" We only see the headline details. I guess I would say this, find someone who plugs a guy in his yard and have him tell us he would do it again in a heart beat. I suspect they would be hard to find.

Well I suggest you move to Texas then, cause in Texas there is no civil recourse. We are immune from civil liability.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Well I suggest you move to Texas then, cause in Texas there is no civil recourse. We are immune from civil liability.
    I do like that, however im not really willing to have to deal with the death of another human being by my hands on my conscious because he was taking my $100 radio... however i would not hesitate to OC spray em or if its just one beat the S*** out of em.
    when I leave this Earth, It's gonna be on both feet; NEVER KNEES IN THE DIRT

VIP Member
    I watched the news on TV about this and they explained it differently. It seems the male heard noises went outside. There he saw the BGs and verbally confronted them to which they jumped at him. The Female heard the commotion and came out to see the Male being attacked so she used her weapon to defend him.

According to the police spokesperson, she was in her right to use the weapon because she was in fear for the life of the Male. Then again, the event happen in Miami Dade county which is a more self defense friendly than Broward or West Palm.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links