Seattle Police Charged With Shooting Hells Angel

This is a discussion on Seattle Police Charged With Shooting Hells Angel within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The grand jury Seattle Police Charged With Shooting Hells Angel at Sturgis Seattle officers charged in Sturgis shooting Grand jurors have indicted a Seattle police ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The grand jury Seattle Police Charged With Shooting Hells Angel at Sturgis

Seattle officers charged in Sturgis shooting

Grand jurors have indicted a Seattle police detective, a Hells Angel biker he shot, two customs officers and another man following a bar fight at this year's Sturgis motorcycle rally.

By CARSON WALKER

Associated Press Writer
    SIOUX FALLS, S.D.

Grand jurors have indicted a Seattle police detective, a Hells Angel biker he shot, two customs officers and another man following a bar fight at this year's Sturgis motorcycle rally.

Joseph McGuire, 33, of Imperial Beach, Calif., was shot and injured Aug. 9 at the Loud American Roadhouse by Ronald Smith, 43, a vacationing Seattle detective, authorities said.

Both men are charged with alternative counts of aggravated and simple assault.

The four other men charged are, like Smith, members of the Iron Pigs Motorcycle Club, a biker group culled from the ranks of law enforcement and firefighters. Dennis McCoy, 59, a Seattle police sergeant; Customs and Border Protection officers Scott Lazalde, 38, of Bellingham, Wash., and James Rector, 44, of Ferndale, Wash.; and Erik Pingel, 35, of Aurora, Colo., were charged with the misdemeanor of carrying a concealed pistol without a permit, and an alternative count of failure to abide by a permit of a reciprocal state.

McGuire and Smith also face those charges, and Smith is further charged with perjury.

"The grand jury must've decided that Mr. Smith, having taken an oath to testify truly, in a state proceeding, stated intentionally and contrary to the oath, a material matter which he knew to be false," Meade County State's Attorney Jesse Sondreal wrote in an e-mail to reporters.

The prosecutor said he did not want to comment beyond a news release in which he wrote that warrants will be served and no court dates have been set.

Ten people testified Thursday before the grand jury. On Aug. 10, 25 people appeared before the same panel, Sondreal wrote.

In a brief statement Thursday, the Seattle Police Department said only that its officers who were involved remain on paid administrative leave.

The Seattle Police Officers' Guild, meanwhile, put out a statement saying: "We are certain that once all the facts are known, the involved SPOG members will be vindicated and absolved of any wrongdoing. Until that occurs, we are heartened by the news that Detective Ron Smith is recovering from his serious injuries and that no other parties were injured except for Detective Smith and his alleged assailant."

The statement did not say what Smith's injuries were.

Smith, who said after the shooting he had been attacked, had clashed with the Hells Angels before. In 2005, he pressed misdemeanor charges against the owner of a Seattle motorcycle shop, Anthony James Magnesi, for threatening him over the telephone.

advertising

But the charges were dropped after Magnesi and his attorney, Paul Bernstein, played a recording of the call for city prosecutors. On the tape, Smith called Magnesi a "dirtbag," told him that being a member of the Hells Angels is a crime - which it's not - and said, "You better watch your back," Bernstein said Thursday.

The biker had called Smith after learning through friends that Smith had been asking about him. Magnesi was under no criminal investigation at the time, and had simply called the detective to offer to speak with him, Bernstein said.

"The detective just went bezerk, making all sorts of threats and being very angry," said Bernstein, a former city and county prosecutor in Seattle. "The detective, he's doing this intimidating, 'You're a dirtbag Anthony, don't be calling me.' It's the stuff you see and hear in the movies, but when it's real, it's chilling."

The Seattle Times has reported that in a column for the newspaper of the Seattle Police Officers' Guild, Smith frequently wrote about outlaw motorcycle clubs.

Smith was twice disciplined in 2005, first for taunting fans at a Seattle Seahawks playoff game and later after he was accused of threatening to shoot a Tacoma restaurant manager. The first incident resulted in a two-day suspension, the second with a letter in Smith's file.

He testified last year at a federal racketeering and murder trial involving members of the Washington Nomads chapter of the Hells Angels.

The two customs officers charged are both stationed at Blaine, Wash., on the Canadian border. Rector, assistant area port director for passenger vehicles, has been with customs for more than 20 years, said agency spokesman Mike Milne. Lazalde, a customs officer, has been with the agency for 13 years.

A fire chief at Buckley Air Force Base in Aurora, Colo., confirmed that a Department of Defense firefighter named Erik Pingel was stationed there, but did not confirm whether it is the same person who was charged.

---

AP Legal Affairs Writer Gene Johnson contributed from Seattle.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Sounds like Mr. Smith has some issues, and that he might have to find a new carreer shortly.

With all that goes on in Sturgis why would law enforcement people go and get involved in stuff like this?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

That must have been a heck of a fight. I'm glad I wasn't there.
    The whole barrel was full of bad apples.

What bothers me most isn’t that these people are in law enforcement. It’s that the others in LE cover up stuff and stand behind these types. I don’t know if he is guilty of anything this time, but his record seems to be a bit tarnished by previous acts.

If we are to believe the story as printed the police at the scene are all ready to back him up. Maybe it is justified, but something tells me it is jus standard operating procedure.

People that have gotten themselves in places of authority and abuse the power given to them by society should be dealt with in the strictest of terms instead of walking.

Prosecutors/ police hiding, falsifying evidence these things go on daily and they need to stop, And it all starts with small things like smacking the snot out of someone they think needs it, We tolerate it and we shouldn’t. When someone ends up dead we say, how did this ever happen.

LEOs / Prosecutors you have sworn to uphold the law, bad people are ever where even if you work next to them, and if you do and don’t do anything about it doesn’t that make you an accomplice?

This is extremely unusual.

Smith was twice disciplined in 2005, first for taunting fans at a Seattle Seahawks playoff game and later after he was accused of threatening to shoot a Tacoma restaurant manager. The first incident resulted in a two-day suspension, the second with a letter in Smith's file.
    SPD doesn't normally discipline its Officers.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member
    Mataki wrote of officer Smith: "Smith was twice disciplined in 2005, first for taunting fans at a Seattle Seahawks playoff game and later after he was accused of threatening to shoot a Tacoma restaurant manager."

Good grief. What would happen to any of us ordinary folk who threatened to shoot a restaurant manager. It would be a darn bit more drastic than a two day suspension from our jobs--- like maybe, charged with a terroristic threat?

Convicted!!!! Time in jail????

The DA looked the other way, and the bad behavior continued.

Yuck.

[QUOTE=farronwolf;830424]

Sounds like Mr. Smith has some issues, and that he might have to find a new carreer shortly.

QUOTE]

Maybe something in the license plate manufacturing sector?
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Dennis McCoy, 59, a Seattle police sergeant; Customs and Border Protection officers Scott Lazalde, 38, of Bellingham, Wash., and James Rector, 44, of Ferndale, Wash.; and Erik Pingel, 35, of Aurora, Colo., were charged with the misdemeanor of carrying a concealed pistol without a permit, and an alternative count of failure to abide by a permit of a reciprocal state.
    That's the part that bothers me.

If these people were LEO's, they are legal to carry in any jurisdiction without a concealed weapons permit. It's commonly referred to as HR 218, but was signed as "Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act".

As far as the other stuff, some version of the truth will come out at trial.

Biker

I don't understand the weapons charge either, under LEOSA. I'm don't like what I'm seeing about one guy's record for discipline, but also know that at times, not everything that comes out in the investigation goes on the complaint jacket for the world to see.
    I do know this-if you are going to go to bars, especially biker bars, especially during the Sturgis run, I would question your desire to stay OUT of trouble. Just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean it is a good idea. Either be a policeman or be a dirtball, don't act like one and be the other.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Well one of the guys is a fire fighter, so he is not LEOSA. He needs a permit. I don't know South Dakota law on prohibited places, but I do not believe LEOSA allows an off duty officer from one state to carry in a prohibited place in another. As I understand LEOSA it only allows officers to carry where permit holders of that state are allowed to carry.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Well one of the guys is a fire fighter, so he is not LEOSA. He needs a permit. I don't know South Dakota law on prohibited places, but I do not believe LEOSA allows an off duty officer from one state to carry in a prohibited place in another. As I understand LEOSA it only allows officers to carry where permit holders of that state are allowed to carry.
    Agreed. That too is my understanding, and as such the charges make sense.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    I don't understand the weapons charge either, under LEOSA.
    In one of the articles I read, it stated that LEOSA is invalidated if they are under the influence of alcohol or drugs. I don't know of that is true, but if so, it might be the basis of the charges if they were all out drinking.

My guess is there is probably also a provision for doing something illegal, in which case it might also apply for anyone they end up bringing any charges against.

-john

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Well one of the guys is a fire fighter, so he is not LEOSA. He needs a permit.
    Correct
    I don't know South Dakota law on prohibited places, but I do not believe LEOSA allows an off duty officer from one state to carry in a prohibited place in another.
    You would be wrong. Only place that can be off limits to carry is government property and no state or jurisdiction will make any law infringing on the right of private property owners to bar concealed carry. The bar is definately not government property, and probably wasn't posted.
    As I understand LEOSA it only allows officers to carry where permit holders of that state are allowed to carry.
    Again, you need to brush up on your laws. Many states forbid the carrying of weapons in places that serve alcohol for concealed carriers. LEOSA overrides that and allows concealed carry in such places unless the private property owner forbids it.
    I routinely carry in restaurants that serve alcohol, but I can't drink when I do. Concealed Weapons Permit Holders commit a felony by setting foot in the establishment with their weapon on their person.

Not trying to pick on you, just pointing out a few facts that you may not be aware of.

Biker

Yet another reason NOT to go to Sturgis...but I still love my Harley!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Like I said, I am not familiar with the specifics of leosa or S.D. law.
    So Biker, if I understand you correctly they would be fine if the bar was only posted like ones in Texas that have to post if they get more than 51% of their revenue from alcohol, but not if the owner had posted something like the Texas 30.06 sign.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links