Bad: Father Shot While Confronting Thieves

This is a discussion on Bad: Father Shot While Confronting Thieves within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Found this story in the local paper today.... Why on earth did this guy go to confront bad guys without arming himself The Florida Times-Union ...

Thread: Bad: Father Shot While Confronting Thieves

Found this story in the local paper today....
    Why on earth did this guy go to confront bad guys without arming himself

The Florida Times-Union

August 30, 2008

Father shot while protecting family from band of thieves

By
    The Times-Union

A 28-year-old Jacksonville father of three was shot Friday morning while disrupting an apparent robbery on the Southside.
    --------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------

His wife said he was trying to protect his family after thieves climbed up the family's second-floor apartment balcony to steal some rims sitting there.

Evita Evans told the Times-Union she woke up after 2 a.m. to loud "booming" sounds outside the apartment at The Waterford at Deerwood at 8401 Southside Blvd. Her husband, Jimmy Evans Jr., went to check on the disturbance and found four young men dropping car rims off the balcony.

He hit the balcony's sliding-glass door with his hand, causing one thief to jump off the balcony, according to the Sheriff's Office report. Evans Jr. opened the door and another man opened fire, hitting Evans Jr. in his abdomen and hand. Three young children were sleeping in the other room, Evita Evans said.

"My [9-year-old] son asked me, 'Do we have to sleep here tonight?' He was so scared," she said.

The youths fled the scene in a white Ford pickup, which police spotted minutes later traveling erratically at Interstate 95 and Baymeadows Road, the report said. Police followed the truck downtown where they rammed it to cause a crash.

Police found three guns in the truck and arrested 17-year-old Carnell Delvon Davis, 18-year-old Sammy Lee Stinson, 16-year-old Derrick Markeen Reese, 20-year-old Immanuel Williams and 18-year-old Carl A. Smith on armed burglary charges.

According to a woman who answered his home phone, Stinson's 17-year-old sister was shot Wednesday along with a 14-year-old on Grothe Street near Durkeeville Park in a suspected drive-by shooting. But neither was life-threatening.

The woman said she didn't think the two shootings were connected.

Adam Aasen

This story can be found on Jacksonville.com at Jacksonville.com.
    No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.

Ronald Reagan

B52
    Rims on the balcony, heh; I feel sorry for that family. To me a Shinny rims on my apartment balcony is just asking for trouble they should have just hung up bags of crack, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by B52 View Post
    Rims on the balcony, heh; I feel sorry for that family. To me a Shinny rims on my apartment balcony is just asking for trouble they should have just hung up bags of crack, lol.
    I thought that too..kind of asking for trouble...
    " Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." George Washington

Rims, hmmm. I think I got the picture.

Idiot kids who will shoot over anything.... for anything.

I think one point is , just because they are young, doesn't mean they aren't dangerous or armed. Take precautions with anyone.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

What kind of crap is that?
    Shiney rims on the second floor balcony is not like they're sitting by the front gate to the guys property. I guess to have shiney rims displayed in the front window of an auto parts store is just like bags of crack also. Or maybe to have watches and rings displayed in a jewelry store front window is asking for trouble.....
    The real problem here is you've got young criminals that want something for nothing, don't care a rats a** about other people, and are willing to kill for a set of car rims or maybe even a pair of tennis shoes.
    All involved should be charged with attempted murder.
    I hope the father is ok and that his wife kids are able to get over this.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    What kind of crap is that?
    Shiney rims on the second floor balcony is not like they're sitting by the front gate to the guys property. I guess to have shiney rims displayed in the front window of an auto parts store is just like bags of crack also. Or maybe to have watches and rings displayed in a jewelry store front window is asking for trouble.....
    The real problem here is you've got young criminals that want something for nothing, don't care a rats a** about other people, and are willing to kill for a set of car rims or maybe even a pair of tennis shoes.
    All involved should be charged with attempted murder.
    I hope the father is ok and that his wife kids are able to get over this.

+1

You're right, the problem is that too many people today have a sense of entitlement and feel they should be allowed whatever they can take.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Living in an Apartment with three children...

Living in an apartment with three children...I'm sure money wasn't ready available for a storage shed...The balcony on SECOND floor was his only option...The point is BGs invading a space he legally occupied and took his life...Terrible!!!! Terrible!!!!Terrible!!!

People just don't respect other peoples property.
    Life is too short, stop to smell the roses and don't let anyone take it away from you!

According to a woman who answered his home phone, Stinson's 17-year-old sister was shot Wednesday along with a 14-year-old on Grothe Street near Durkeeville Park in a suspected drive-by shooting. But neither was life-threatening.

The woman said she didn't think the two shootings were connected.

Adam Aasen
    It sounds like there may be more to this story than has been told, why is Aasen calling one of the perp's house and asking if the shootings were linked? Sounds like the perps are gangbangers and got caught practicing their trade. I hope the father lives and the family can get their lives back together...wasn't too smart going to a sliding glass door, in plain view to the BG's, and confronting people who are aggressive enough to climb up two story's and attempt to steal from a dwelling where the people are home.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

Administrator

Can we have the comments somehow and in some way relate to home or personal defense?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sponsored Links