Looking For Some Help Here

This is a discussion on Looking For Some Help Here within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 2007 Starr shooting ruled to have been self-defense : Local News : Anderson Independent-Mail ANDERSON COUNTY — This story has been corrected from its original ...

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

2007 Starr shooting ruled to have been self-defense : Local News : Anderson Independent-Mail

ANDERSON COUNTY — This story has been corrected from its original version.

Tenth Circuit Solicitor Chrissy Adams has issued her final ruling in a shooting that left 25-year-old Jon Limbert of Bluffton, S.C., dead.

Though a news release, Adams said she has ruled that Limbert was shot in self-defense.

Toxicology results from the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division showed that Limbert’s blood alcohol level was at an “impairing level” at the time he was shot. Witness statements and evidence at the scene also show that he was armed with a knife when he was shot twice, which left him dead at the scene.

The investigation left “no doubt for our office on the legal decisions that needed to be made regarding each case,” she said through the release.

According to reports, Limbert was shot twice with two different pistols at 423 Williford Road in Starr on Oct. 29, 2007. There were six other people at the residence at the time of the shooting. He reportedly was shot after drinking during a hunting trip and a fight with the homeowner.

Since her son’s death, Evva Anderson of Bluffton has argued that her son could not have been a threat to anyone. Limbert suffered a traumatic brain injury 10 years ago and had paralysis on his left side.

But the injury to his brain caused recurring problems, including a string of traffic crimes, including driving under the influence between 2000 and 2006.

In information released earlier by the Anderson County Coroner’s Office, Limbert’s blood alcohol content was .542 percent at the time of his death. That is almost seven times the legal limit of .08 percent in South Carolina.
    How can someone who's BAC is 0.542 be a threat to anyone? Now I know Wikipedia is not gospel, but this chart shows:

BAC (%) Behavior Impairment
    0.01–0.029

* Average individual appears
    normal

* Subtle effects that can be
    detected with special tests

0.03–0.059

* Mild euphoria
    * Sense of well-being
    * Relaxation
    * Talkativeness
    * Joyous
    * Decreased inhibition

* Alertness
    * Judgment
    * Coordination
    * Concentration

0.06–0.10

* Blunted Feelings
    * Disinhibition
    * Extroversion
    * Impaired Sexual Pleasure

* Reflexes
    * Reasoning
    * Depth Perception
    * Distance Acuity
    * Peripheral Vision
    * Glare Recovery

0.11–0.20

* Over-Expression
    * Emotional Swings
    * Angry or Sad
    * Boisterous

* Reaction Time
    * Gross Motor Control
    * Staggering
    * Slurred Speech

0.21–0.29

* Stupor
    * Loss of Understanding
    * Impaired Sensations

* Severe Motor Impairment
    * Loss of Consciousness
    * Memory Blackout

0.30–0.39

* Severe Depression
    * Unconsciousness
    * Death Possible

* Bladder Function
    * Breathing
    * Heart Rate

>0.40

* Unconsciousness
    * Death

* Breathing
    * Heart Rate
    Really hard for me to see how someone who is so impaired can be a threat to anyone other than himself?
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Senior Moderator
    That chart is purley subjective and uses what happens to "normal" people when they drink.

When some one is a very hard drinker, they tend to do better on field sobriety tests than the average person that hardly ever gets drunk.

I had a guy a few months ago do very well on the standardized field sobriety tests, but his eyes showed me that he was very drunk. At the station he blew a .28. Everything says that he should have flunked every part of the test, and although he wasnt perfect, he really didnt show to be as drunk as he was.

Even so that is high, very high. I kind of wonder if its a misprint and the decimal is in the wrong place, like maybe it should be a .054. That would make more sense.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I live in upstate South Carolina, and the Anderson/Starr area is only about 30 minutes from my house. I remember this when it 1st came up. There is no way that guy with that level of BAC could EVER be a threat to anyone. Didn't believe it then, and probably never will.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."
    --Thomas Jefferson

Hotguns,

I understand that the chart is subjective and everyone will react differently based on sex, weight, metabolism, etc. I also thought that the decimal may be wrong, but it goes on to say it was almost 7 times the legal limit of .08. That would bring it to around .54 as stated.

I still find it hard to believe that anyone with a BAC of .54 could be a threat, knife or not.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    I still find it hard to believe that anyone with a BAC of .54 could be a threat, knife or not.
    Me too. You would think that they would be passed out, barely breathing.

It could be a misprint. It would'nt be the first time the news was wrong.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Career alcoholics can easily be over .4 with no outward signs of drunkenness. Tolerance is completely subjective. Oftentimes people can be completely blacked out drunk, and appear to be functioning normally.

I don't think it is strange at all that a mentally handicapped man with a knife and a BAC of .54 could be a significant threat.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I know several people that are blackout drinkers,when they sober up they can't even remember what they did,and some of them become extremely violent.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

At a BAC of .54, a person would be dead. It only makes sense scientifically. Over half of the body's bloodstream is inundated with alcohol.

Ramrod,

Actually that would be .54%, so their blood would be .0054 alcohol.

- Thomas Jefferson

My bad. It still means death.

Would it make any difference if he'd just guzzled something very potent and was still being absorbed into his bloodstream? Its the kidneys that filter out the alcohol? Liver? I assume that process stops when the blood stops pumping.

Administrator
    I've arrested and fought with BG's around the .40 mark... yeah, it wasnt exactly a knock down drag out of a fight, but they were able to fight somewhat.
    Also, BAC count will spike after death, making it very possible to get the .54 reading. When the body was functioning, it could very well have been near the .3-.4 ranges.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Is there a DOCTOR in the house ????

I have seen patients who take doses of medication that are so high that I called to verify the dosage each and every time before dispensing the Rx. I am not talking about slightly high, I am talking about doses that would put several people into comas yet they are walking and talking with seemingly no effect from the drug.

How about an answer from a MD out there.

Bosco

I've seen a guy come into our jail who was a over a .50 and had to be cleared by the Hospital before coming. HE was walking and talking and it was not obvious that he was blitzed. I'd been worried if he had a weapon..
    " Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." George Washington

Links