BAD: Man shot while investigating fuel theft: WELD COUNTY CO

This is a discussion on BAD: Man shot while investigating fuel theft: WELD COUNTY CO within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; And this is why I carry at work. 9NEWS.com | Colorado's Online News Leader | Man shot while investigating possible fuel theft WELD COUNTY COLORADO ...

Thread: BAD: Man shot while investigating fuel theft: WELD COUNTY CO

BAD: Man shot while investigating fuel theft: WELD COUNTY CO

And this is why I carry at work.

9NEWS.com | Colorado's Online News Leader | Man shot while investigating possible fuel theft

WELD COUNTY COLORADO - Authorities say a man was shot and injured on Wednesday while investigating a possible fuel theft from a turkey farm.

The Weld County Sheriff's Office says 38-year-old Jacque Crawford was shot across the street from his home near Hudson at about 5 a.m.

Deputies say Crawford saw car headlights on an adjacent turkey farm and walked over, where he confronted a man near some diesel pumps. Crawford reportedly knew fuel had recently been stolen from the farm.

"When he walked out he was confronted by a male party and was shot," said Ed Haffner of the Weld County Sheriff's Department.

Authorities say the suspect used a small-caliber handgun, hitting Crawford in the right shoulder and in his coat. Deputies say a tool in his pocket deflected one of the bullets. Crawford was not armed.

"We think it's a random act," said Ed Haffner of the Weld County Sheriff's Department. "We're not sure why it occurred at this point."

Crawford's 12-year-old daughter awoke shortly after and found her father making his way back to the house when she called 911. Crawford was taken to Northern Colorado Medical Center in Greeley with non-life-threatening injuries. It was believed he would be released on Wednesday, according to investigators.

"(Crawford was) extremely fortunate considering the close range he was shot at," said Haffner.

The sheriff's office is canvassing the community for information on the suspect and checking gas station cameras to see if anyone came through around the time of the shooting.

The suspect was last seen heading northbound on County Road 10.

"The suspect, we don't have any information on," said Haffner. "We don't know what would cause a man to act like this."

Investigators say they have a vague vehicle description and a few foot prints to go off of right now.

Deputies say this appears to be an isolated case and there is no concern for public safety at this time.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

Shooting someone for some fuel? Just another dirtbag willing to take someone's life for a few bucks. I hope this person is caught...they should just give the scumbag all the fuel he could carry, and then light it!

Big mistake here in investigating what he knew was not just a noise...but probably someone involved in a theft...911 should have been his first step, and then at least a firearm on his side to step outside.

Stay armed...don't be a cop...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

"The suspect, we don't have any information on," said Haffner. "We don't know what would cause a man to act like this."
    I think I got a few,He was stealing and didn't wanto get caught,He was stealing and didn't want to get caught because he has warrants for his arrest.
    The Guy should have never investigated without being armed and should have called the police first,also have a cell phone and approach stealthy,that way you can surprise the thief and call in his tag number to the cops while holding him at gunpoint
    One thing I noticed it said a bullet ricocheted off a tool in his coat,I wonder if he brought a wrench to a gun fight
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

he should have used binoculars to investigate.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Someone needs to check and see how big the hole is in his marble bag......I am NOT investigating nothing without a firearm. Maybe next time he'll think about some type of cover also.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Agreed Reborn.

He goes it alone at 5A toward what he knows is a suspicious goings on....unwise.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Why do I get the feeling this probably does not happen at night in Texas on private property very much?
    Any Texans want to answer?
    " Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." George Washington

Remote area of farm country, you know your neighbors. Used to be a time when you approached a trespasser with a 18" or larger Cressent wrench, and that was all that was needed.

OTH, we refer to our CC/EDC as "tools" so who knows.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Between the hours of darkness 1/2 hour after sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise in Texas you do not want to be caught on somebody elses property trying to steal anything,even being on the property isn't wise as they may think you are in the process of stealing,the castle doctrine allows use of deadly force during those times to prevent a theft,even say a $5.00 garden hose.I realise taking a life over something that cheap sounds absurd but if your a criminal It's gonna make you wonder if you get caught if the homeowner is gonna shoot first and ask questions later
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Contrast the reactions here (don't approach) with the reactions in the thread "Home owner walks in..."

Yes, here the GG should have had a firearm.

A couple years ago I believe it happened in Riley county Kansas a farmer caught a guy poaching a deer,and while standing by the guys pickup talking to the guys son,He was drinking and road hunting for pheasant with his 2 sons in the truck which is illegal in itself and saw a big buck and shot it.the farmer heard a gunshot and went to investigate ,the poacher was decapitating the deer with his other son and snuck up behind the farmer stabbing him several times and tried to cut his throat,they left him for dead and drove his truck away from the area to another location,the farmer managed to make it back to the farmhouse where the game warden was and they called in LEO and a medevac.the farmer lived and there was a statewide manhunt for the poacher.He's now sitting in a kansas prison and i can't remember what he was convicted of i believe it was attempted murder and a few other charges.Nothing ever happened like that before around there but it only takes one time and you may not get a do over

Quote Originally Posted by sui-juris View Post
    Why do I get the feeling this probably does not happen at night in Texas on private property very much?
    Any Texans want to answer?
    No down here they just steal anhydrous ammonia (liquid fertilizer) to cook meth at night from the farmers. They now have to put locks on their tanks and hope that folks won't mess things up too bad when trying to break into them.

911 and bring a gun and a very bright light next time you want to go check things out at night.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Between the hours of darkness 1/2 hour after sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise in Texas you do not want to be caught on somebody elses property trying to steal anything,even being on the property isn't wise as they may think you are in the process of stealing,the castle doctrine allows use of deadly force during those times to prevent a theft,even say a $5.00 garden hose.I realise taking a life over something that cheap sounds absurd but if your a criminal It's gonna make you wonder if you get caught if the homeowner is gonna shoot first and ask questions later
    That's gotta deter most folks...
    " Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." George Washington

If you read the Texas statutes closely you will also see malicious mischief on someone's property at night can be met with deadly force. It doesn't have to be theft. Not sure I agree with shooting someone for toilet papering a tree, but there are much more serious forms of malicious mischief that would deserve the business end of a cartridge travelling at high speed.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Links