Police: Suicidal Woman Killed after Pointing Gun at Officers

This is a discussion on Police: Suicidal Woman Killed after Pointing Gun at Officers within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Last Edited: Thursday, 04 Sep 2008, 7:58 AM CDT Created: Thursday, 04 Sep 2008, 7:40 AM CDT FORT WORTH, Texas -- A woman who was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Police: Suicidal Woman Killed after Pointing Gun at Officers

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar

Last Edited: Thursday, 04 Sep 2008, 7:58 AM CDT
    Created: Thursday, 04 Sep 2008, 7:40 AM CDT

FORT WORTH, Texas -- A woman who was apparently intent on ending her life pointed a gun at a Fort Worth police officer who shot her twice in the chest killing her, according to Lt. Paul Henderson, police spokesman.

Two patrol officers driving through a park in the 4300 block of Sansom Drive Wednesday night noticed a car parked with the lights out.

The officers checked out the vehicle and found a woman sitting in the front seat slumped over the steering wheel crying. Investigators said the woman had been writing a suicide note when the officers approached her car.

Henderson said one officer reached through the driver's side window and put his hand on the woman's shoulder to see if she was OK. As she leaned back, she allegedly revealed a small .22 pistol.

The officer stepped back from the car and the woman put the gun to the side of her head and pulled the trigger, but she was not fatally wounded.

Police said she then cocked the gun and pointed it at the other officer who was near the passenger side window.

That officer fired his service weapon through the windshield striking the woman twice and killing her.

"We are deeply saddened for the woman and the loss her family has experienced. We are equally saddened for the officers who went through this ordeal, " said Lt. Henderson.

The officers will be allowed to take time off but the Fort Worth Police Department does not have a policy of putting officers involved in shootings on administrative leave.

Major Case Detectives are investigating. Their findings will be turned over a Grand Jury which will decide if the officer was justified in shooting the woman.

The Medical Examiner's Office has not released the woman's name.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Dang......one way or another she got what she wanted.

The officer didn't have a choice and the woman felt she had no other alternitive.
    Very sad.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

sad how it ended. seems she just wanted to end her life no matter what it took.
    "It is better to live one day as a lion than a hundred years as a sheep."
    - Italian proverb

Very sad article...Now because of her wish to end her life (her problem solved) the LEO has to continue living with the memory of taking someone's life (suicide is so selfish). My prayers go out to her family & the LEOs involved.

I believe, there are many cases of "suicide by cop" that go unnoticed.

VIP Member
    Very sad. Although the officer's actions certainly seem justifiable, I wonder if under the circumstances other actions could have been taken. E.g., if wearing a vest, could he have dodged away and left her sitting there sobbing. Could she have been distracted. Yes, both approaches are risky, and it isn't right to ask the officer to shoulder the risk, but then saving a life is sometimes worth the effort.

I wasn't there, so can't judge. It does seem the lady was reduced to an emotional bowl of jelly by the time they arrived; and it is certainly too bad the pat on the back didn't help. Could things have turned out different if the two stepped back and summoned folks more skilled in handling mentally ill people?

These are really rhetorical questions because I think that in general our society does a miserable job of dealing with the mentally ill. So justified as the shoot appears to be, I'm just sort of asking if it really was unavoidable in this particular circumstance.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    I had to physically wrestle a .32 auto out of a woman's hands that was wanting to shoot herself. I was wearing a vest and twister her hand toward my chest and away from hers.

That was many years ago. The last I heard she had gotten herself squared away and was enjoying life. But that afternoon, she was determined to find a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
    NRA Life Member

I wonder if under the circumstances other actions could have been taken. E.g., if wearing a vest, could he have dodged away and left her sitting there sobbing.
    Geez.

My thoughts and prayers go to the Officers involved and their families.

Biker

point blank .22 and still able to coherently aim a gun,either she had the gun angled and got a glancing blow or she had a thick skull,Suicide is permanent solution to a temporary problem,but I've seen people that feel like they are backed in a corner and feel that being dead will solve all their problems and end whatever emotional pain they are in
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member

Sir, you have migh high admiration :)

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    I had to physically wrestle a .32 auto out of a woman's hands that was wanting to shoot herself. I was wearing a vest and twister her hand toward my chest and away from hers.

That was many years ago. The last I heard she had gotten herself squared away and was enjoying life. But that afternoon, she was determined to find a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
    Sir,
    You have my high admiration. I can't imagine being in your shoes at that moment. Thank you.

This woman made an obvious choice...can't blame the cop, he wanted to see his family that night.
    Unfortunately, I have no real concerns for the lady...it's a done deal.

Hope the officer(s) can easily get by this tragic incident.

Stay armed...be prepared to make instant decisions...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

What a selfish gesture on this young person's part. Now she has not only burdened her family with her selfish solution to her problem, she has made someone else have the burden of having to defend themselves and take another human life.

This thing is close to home too. My daughter is enrolled at the same school.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post

that's great to hear,im glad she got better.as far as the news item goes,if someone shoots themselves then points their gun at me i would not hesitate to shoot them.who knows what they are thinking in this deranged condition.i hope the leos involved everything turns out alright.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Remember that young deputy that shot up a party? IIRC he shot himself in the head with his AR-15 and didn't die right away. Well I guess that's just a .22 too.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

Sounds like she was shot in order to keep her from committing suicide!

Duh?

Obviously, the office thought she was attempting to shoot him and he reacted. But, hey. What did he think she was going to do after all?

The Second Amendment is NOT about hunting!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links