BAD....."I kill for God. I listen to God," - Page 2

BAD....."I kill for God. I listen to God,"

This is a discussion on BAD....."I kill for God. I listen to God," within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by dukalmighty I would just tell him God told me to tell you he's having trouble reaching you ,but you should kill yourself ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BAD....."I kill for God. I listen to God,"

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I would just tell him God told me to tell you he's having trouble reaching you ,but you should kill yourself before you hurt anyone else
    He needs to meet God...please someone help make the 'resevation'/set up the meeting...or have God put him in his 'calling circle'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member

Because it was in the new reports

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    How do you know he didnt . [get the medical care he needed] .
    Because it was reported in the news stories. The parents wanted to have him held for treatment, but the law required proof that he is a danger to himself or others. That hurdle is such a high hurdle that the courts rejected their efforts.

You can be a total basket before most courts can intervene. Families struggle with these problems all the time when they have children who are manic or schizophrenic, parents who are senile. If the ill person knows the day of the week and the name of the president, and hasn't committed a crime, it is almost impossible for family members to get them help--even if they are mentally totaled.

That is what happened in this case. The parent's knew, tried, and failed.

While this person committed an awful crime, WE all share responsibility because we have failed to insist that our legislators pass a better set of laws for dealing with these awfully ill people--before they do a Virginia Tech like act.

It is a tight balance here between civil liberties, freedom, and the need to protect the person who is ill (and protect everyone around them). And, we as a society have just never figured out how to do that in a way that is both pragmatic and constitutional.

If someone gets a heart attack or a stroke and their car runs into someone else and kills, we don't call for the death penalty. It should be the same when people are that severely ill upstairs. There is a difference between doing something knowing that you are willfully and maliciously breaking the law, and doing something because your brain doesn't work.

THe level of guilt in the two situations isn't the same.

Prior to John Hinkley's attack on Reagan, we still had laws that allowed for the mental illness defense. Most of these were gutted, after that incident.

And, we used to have large residential treatment facilities, and these are now mostly gone.

When I was about 22 years old I worked at Creedmore (sp?) Hospital, a huge mental asylum. It was a very unpleasant place with very unpleasant residents, and often equally unpleasant staff. The juvenile facility, where I worked, was effectively a locked jail. My boss once told me that most of the kids did not belong there. They were sent there by judges who thought they were doing the kid a favor sending them to the mental hospital instead of to juvenile detention.

Today, the pendulum has swung the other way. We send too many people to jail when they in fact need to be put into a hospital.

Perhaps someone should have been sure he was taking his thorsine...

There are alot of sicko's out there, and it seems like more are coming out of the wood work everyday.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by rdoggsilva View Post
    There are alot of sicko's out there, and it seems like more are coming out of the wood work everyday.
    Agreed. What's pushing them over the edge? Non-treatment? Medicare prescription gap? Television? Sleeper cell implants? Election year? How do they gain access to weapons after being declared psychotic anyway? Someone's falling down on the job, and we need to start pointing fingers if nobody is willing to take responsibility.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Agreed. What's pushing them over the edge? Non-treatment? Medicare prescription gap? Television? Sleeper cell implants? Election year? How do they gain access to weapons after being declared psychotic anyway? Someone's falling down on the job, and we need to start pointing fingers if nobody is willing to take responsibility.
    Trying to stop people like this with the legal system is an exercise in futility so far as stopping them from getting a gun. There are many illegal ways to obtain guns, and desperate people will generally find them. And please don't think like an anti, that if only we had more laws...
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Religion, ONLY IN MODERATION! sounds like he OD'd on God. Much like the Taliban.
    "Brains before Bullets"

VIP Member

Seriously, we are all at fault

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Agreed. Someone's falling down on the job, and we need to start pointing fingers if nobody is willing to take responsibility.
    Seriously, we are all at fault here. We just don't insist as we should that our law makers pass the appropriate laws. Instead, we chose to criminalize almost everything and treat the mentally ill as criminals.

Figuring out how to do this right is tricky, complex, and it would have been done if it were easy. Instead, everyone just repeats the quick answer--throw them in jail and give them the needle.

And, the entire problem is compounded by the fact that psychiatry is a very imperfect science. Diagnosis is uncertain at times and medical treatment, while often very effective, sometimes comes with big downsides or does not work.

We need more (many more) residential treatment facilities--- and not of the type I worked at which was a g-d awful warehouse. I will never ever forget what it looked like on the wards. Fortunately for me, I worked in a lab and seldom went there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links