Psycho hammers subway passenger

Psycho hammers subway passenger

This is a discussion on Psycho hammers subway passenger within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Posted on Tue, Sep. 9, 2008 By DAVID GAMBACORTA Philadelphia Daily News As the SEPTA subway train rocked forward, a thirty-something guy leaned over near ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Psycho hammers subway passenger

Exclamation Psycho hammers subway passenger

Posted on Tue, Sep. 9, 2008

By DAVID GAMBACORTA
    Philadelphia Daily News

As the SEPTA subway train rocked forward, a thirty-something guy leaned over near the doorway and gently planted a kiss on the little boy at his side.
    When the train neared the Fairmount Avenue stop shortly after midnight on Thursday, the man reached out like an adoring parent and directed the 3- or 4-year-old tyke to an open seat.

Then he flew into a monstrous rage.

Without uttering a word, police said, the unidentified man whipped out a double-claw hammer and began bludgeoning a 20-year-old man who was dozing off in his seat.

For five long minutes, SEPTA surveillance cameras captured the deranged attacker - who was still on the loose late last night- digging his hammer into the man's head and neck.

Through it all, disgusted investigators said, at least 10 passengers stood by and did nothing as the random attack moved from the train to the platform, when the hammer-wielding maniac tried to push his victim down onto the train tracks.

When the beating was finished and the suspect fled with the little boy, the victim staggered back onto the train, bloodied, confused and alone, said Detective Kenneth Roach, of Central Detectives.

And even then, no one tried to help him.

"Somebody should have helped this guy," Roach said. "I understand the [other] guy had a hammer, but they outnumbered him at least 10 to one."

Miraculously, the victim took the subway up to Temple University Hospital, received several staples and sutures and was discharged, Roach said.

The motive remains a mystery.

"I'm baffled," Roach said. "He had no reason to do that. It was unprovoked. The victim was just going home from work, minding his own business, listening to his iPod."

Roach said that the victim, whose name was not released, boarded the subway at City Hall.

The attacker - a bearded, stocky, 5-foot-9-inch black man who wore a yellow shirt and black pants - also got on at City Hall, with a youngster who may or may not be his child.

The victim and the hammer-toting psychopath never exchanged a word or a glance, Roach said.

"According to the victim, there was no contact or verbal discussion," he said. "They didn't even notice each other."

The hammer was hidden in a black-and-yellow book bag that the attacker clutched throughout the short subway ride.

The little boy dashed off the train with the other passengers during the brutal beat-down, but was later seen running back on to recover the book bag. The boy and the suspect are seen on camera leaving together.

Roach described the attacker as "very dangerous" and asked anyone who knows him to contact police.

Find this article at:
    Psycho hammers subway passenger | Philadelphia Daily News | 09/09/2008
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Rats in a cage. More rats; smaller cages.

Be alert and armed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    It's "Hey dude............"
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Don't get involved,if you ignore it it didn't happen,It's the moral decay of society,In a lot of places even if you have a CHL you can't carry on public transportation,just another victim zone.I wish somebody woulda shot the guy
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Stories like this make me ill.

No offense to you, ExSoldier, but part of me wishes people wouldn't post news coverage of these events. There doesn't seem to be any point besides gratuitously immersing ourselves in an endless stream of discouraging news.

But, on the other hand, I do admit the importance of not losing sight of the fact that these horrible things are happening every day in our society. I just wish that their reality and heinousness could be brought forcefully to the attention of those people who claim not to see the need to be armed and vigilant.

But they of course watch the same news that we do, and apparently they still don't get it. Or they do, and for perverse reasons known only to themselves they still choose to stand logic on its head and persist in the absurdity of their arguments against armed self-defense.

The catatonia of the do-nothings who witnessed this crime (provided the report is accurate on this point) is simply diabolical. I can't even begin to get my mind around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
    Stories like this make me ill.

No offense to you, ExSoldier, but part of me wishes people wouldn't post news coverage of these events. There doesn't seem to be any point besides gratuitously immersing ourselves in an endless stream of discouraging news.

But, on the other hand, I do admit the importance of not losing sight of the fact that these horrible things are happening every day in our society. I just wish that their reality and heinousness could be brought forcefully to the attention of those people who claim not to see the need to be armed and vigilant.

But they of course watch the same news that we do, and apparently they still don't get it. Or they do, and for perverse reasons known only to themselves they still choose to stand logic on its head and persist in the absurdity of their arguments against armed self-defense.

The catatonia of the do-nothings who witnessed this crime (provided the report is accurate on this point) is simply diabolical. I can't even begin to get my mind around it.
    I post these kinds of stories (nauseating as they may be) to illustrate a couple of things. FIRST, it can happen anywhere, anytime and without a smidgen of warning! SECOND, you cannot count on any help from the sheep. The best you can do is .... the best you can do!

Hopefully you've trained enough in a layered defense so that you can respond to any attack with an appropriate response. If the Lord is really in your corner that day, a fellow sheepdog is nearby and will help, instantly.

Failure to act is a common phenomenon in history. See the case of Kitty Genovese in New York. Woman is murdered with a knife over a two + HOUR period of time on a hot sunny day. Literally thousands of people were safe in their apartments with the windows open in the heat. A simple anonymous phone call to the police would have brought units within 3 minutes! Not one person lifted a finger. This poor woman was stabbed multiple times and her attacker periodically strolled away for some minutes only to return and continue to slash at his helpless victim. As her screams weakened and then she died, her attacker just strolled away. I think this happened in the early to mid sixties.

One would hope that the attacks on September 11th 2001 would have put the sheep on notice that they MUST take action, but apparently not. It's important that we sheepdogs to remember this fact.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

and PA is a 'shall issue' state...

I saw the video. I'm 5'10" & 175 and I don't think that I, even in my prime, could have taken that guy by myself.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

i saw this attack on the news today and was trying to decide what my response would be. on the one hand part of my personal rules of carrying is to not get involved( by using my firearm) in 3rd party situations, of course with the exclusion of armed robberies in stores banks etc. basically i will only use deadly force to defend my life or that of a loved one. however i would have a hard time just standing there while some guy is just wailing on someone with a hammer who obviously isn't doing anything wrong. i thought about maybe hitting the assailant with a few bursts of oc spray before delivering a few blows of my own. hopefully my surprise attack would catch him off guard, give me the upper hand, and give me the chance to knock him out. if not i would hope that my courage would inspire others to jump in and help.
    when I leave this Earth, It's gonna be on both feet; NEVER KNEES IN THE DIRT

I don't think this is a case of getting physical with the attacker, I think it's shoot to end the threat! You'd have to get as close as possible, to refrain from innocents being hit, but it's a split second decision to walk towards the attack, while others a running away, get the muzzle as close as possible, and squeeze the trigger until he stopped.

The BG was using deadly force, and in most states, it would be legal for you to return the force to end it. The passenger was defenseless. Any blow with a hammer could kill.

My fear is at close range, a JHP going through and hitting someone else.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Wow. And the little 'un is in "training". It's getting violent out there. Glad I'm in a Hobbit Hole. Sad and disturbing post, Ex, but a great reminder that serves a valid purpose.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Ugly video beating on SEPTA train

"The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Wow that's messed up, when I was in NY and rode the subways, I felt so defenseless without my gun.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

How frustrating...this guy deserved to be 'pounded' this a mag full of lead...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I saw this yesterday. I'm not surprised no one helped. It is disgusting. This is why you must be responsible for your own safety and not depend on others.

Ride public transit, you "assume" the risks.
    "Brains before Bullets"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links