Denton dog shooting incident emphasizes need for responsible pet owners

This is a discussion on Denton dog shooting incident emphasizes need for responsible pet owners within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Denton dog shooting incident emphasizes need for responsible pet owners | pegasusnews.com | Dallas / Fort Worth Monday, September 8, 2008 Denton dog shooting incident ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Denton dog shooting incident emphasizes need for responsible pet owners

Denton dog shooting incident emphasizes need for responsible pet owners | pegasusnews.com | Dallas / Fort Worth

Monday, September 8, 2008

BY PEGASUS NEWS WIRE

DENTON — Around 7 p.m. on Sunday three dogs, a Pit Bull, and two Shar Pei-mixed breeds, were running loose in the area of Thunderbird Drive and Colonial Street in Denton. The dogs’ owner was aware that the dogs were running free, but felt that the dogs had been pinned up all day and needed exercise. The aggressive dogs frightened a few neighbors, including a couple pushing a small child in a stroller, by chasing them as they walked through neighborhood. An elderly female noticed the dogs chasing the couple with the stroller and called 911. At approximately 7:45 p.m., a resident on Augusta Street was taking out his garbage when the three dogs charged him and began trying to take his garbage. He threw his garbage can which struck the Pit Bull, and the three dogs ran around the corner. The man then retrieved his pistol and rode after the dogs on his motorcycle. The man said that he saw the dogs closing in on the elderly female, who had earlier called police about the dogs chasing the couple with the stroller, and he yelled for her to get inside of her home. The man then used his pistol to shoot the Pit Bull. All three dogs, including the wounded Pit Bull, then ran back to their owner’s yard

Animal control officers and police arrived on scene to investigate the incident. The owner eventually voluntarily released all three dogs to the officers. Animal control officers plan to cite the dogs’ owner for allowing the dogs to run at large. The man who shot the Pit Bull was licensed to carry a concealed handgun and no charges will be filed against him.

“This was definitely a bad situation that could have been much worse with allegedly vicious dogs running loose, and guns being fired in our neighborhoods," said Denton Police Chief Roy Minter. "The consequences of not properly looking after the welfare of your pets can be tragic.”

Source: Denton Police Department
    Mr. President: They didn't die for open borders.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

I love the attitude of the dog owner.

The dogs’ owner was aware that the dogs were running free, but felt that the dogs had been pinned up all day and needed exercise.

Nothing like terrorizing a neighborhood for exercise. If someone is going to keep large dogs then keep control of them.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    The dog owner probably had his dog trained to exercise the neighbors....yea thats my story and I'm sticking to it....
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

The man who shot the Pit Bull was licensed to carry a concealed handgun and no charges will be filed against him.
    Let's just say I agree with the outcome.....however.....this guy gave chase (organized a self-manned posse), and wasn't in immediate danger himself. Again--I agree with what transpired BUT I don't think proclaiming yourself as the 'neighborhood protector' would fly around here. And discharging a weapon under any circumstances but self defense would likely get you one charge if not several. It's quite possible he was deputized on the spot once law enforcement showed up, and in my book, very lucky to be free of charges against him. Remember--I'm looking at things objectively here even though the outcome could be considered good in this instance.

Bravo Zulu on the CCW'ing neighbor being............ neighborly.

That situation could be a very sticky one, but all evidence and witnesses point to stopping the threat of the dogs being the right action to take.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

He probably felt by the dogs agressive attitude they may of been a hazard and tx has 3rd party defense statutes,and you don't get "deputized" for shooting something after the fact.Also sometimes dogs in a pack mentality will become more agressive if people run kinda like egging each other on til they start biting.Dog Owner doesn't have the brain cells to own a dog, and god forbid any children
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Down in the South...the defense would be..."The dog(s) needed shootin'"

Sometimes ya' gotta' clean up the neighborhood...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You are all wrong.......

Down here in Texas, we call it "Takin care of Bidness".......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Down in the South...the defense would be..."The dog(s) needed shootin'"

Sometimes ya' gotta' clean up the neighborhood...
    Indeed. But tactfully, out of sight of the public eye would help or while they are on or close to your own property. Otherwise, it's like hunting dogs. How many places in Texas can a person get into their car, chase someone whom they saw breaking a window on their home, to another location, and shoot to kill them? Tell me how this is different. It wreaks of vigilante-ism from my point of view, whether or not I think it's morally justified. See the point I'm getting at here?

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    You are all wrong.......

Down here in Texas, we call it "Takin care of Bidness".......
    Attorneys usually take care of business after the fact. All in all, I wouldn't suggest anyone trying this in their community. I also think that anger played a part in this shooting. Not a good scenario. Again....vigilante justice. Remember, some folks look to us a peers. Let's not get ahead of ourselves and convey the wrong message.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Indeed. But tactfully, out of sight of the public eye would help or while they are on or close to your own property. Otherwise, it's like hunting dogs. How many places in Texas can a person get into their car, chase someone whom they saw breaking a window on their home, to another location, and shoot to kill them? Tell me how this is different. It wreaks of vigilante-ism from my point of view, whether or not I think it's morally justified. See the point I'm getting at here?

Agreed.....except we're talking about three potentially vicious dogs running loose in a neighborhood and terrorizing residents. While I wouldn't advocate permit holders chasing down every stray dog and shooting up the neighborhood in the process, I think the guy absolutely did the right thing; the only mistake I think he made was not killing all three dogs. The dog owner needs some time in the slammer, no question about it, although it's highly unlikely he will get any.

Among the residents terrorized were a couple with a baby in a stroller. As a father of a 10 month old boy, I can't help but imagine myself in the same situation...being out someplace with my family, and accosted by a pack of aggressive dogs. There have been lots of people....adults....literally ripped up by vicious pit bulls.

Around here, they won't even send a real police officer out to investigate a report of a nuisance dog; you're stuck with a community service officer (non-LEO) who will generally do nothing about it. I would guess things are similar in Denton, Texas.

So, in this scenario, you have a pack of large aggressive dogs running loose, accosting residents, scaring them badly enough to prompt several 911 calls, and the knowledge that the police response will be low priority at best. You are attacked in your driveway, and have to throw a garbage can at the dogs to get them to retreat; you then watch them beeline for your defenseless elderly neighbor down the street.

It's kind of a no-brainer to me.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Motorcycles aren't the best mode of transportation around dogs. I saw a guy crash bad from hitting a dog. They actually teach you about riding near dogs when you get your class M license.

I woulda taken my Jeep and just run them all over. Save the bullets.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

I had pretty much the same thing happen to me, when I still lived in California. 4 wolf/husky mixes packing and causing havoc in the neighborhood, I got my shot gun and started chase, I fired off a shot, to get them away from the kids next door and they ran away, 5 minutes later they were back outside of my fence viciously trying to get my pigs, so I shot the alpha and the others ran home.

Sheriff came and I told them the story and the only question they had was: "When I fired the first shot was it into the air." "Hell No! into the ground." And they were fine with it.

Animal control came out and went to the house and got the other dogs.

Never heard another thing.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member

IMHO!

There are no bad guns or dogs, just bad gun owners and dog owners!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    There are no bad guns or dogs, just bad gun owners and dog owners!
    I'm with you on that. It's not the dogs fault it's owned by a lazy, inconsiderate ass clown.
    I wouldn't take any pleasure in killing a dog, but I would if I had to.

The only thing I see wrong with it is that the pit bull was only wounded and the other two didn't even get shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links