Homeowner Guns Down Burglary Suspect In MWC

This is a discussion on Homeowner Guns Down Burglary Suspect In MWC within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Homeowner Guns Down Burglary Suspect In MWC|NewsChannel 8 Authorities say a homeowner shot and killed a suspected burglar after a confrontation in a rural Midwest ...

Homeowner Guns Down Burglary Suspect In MWC|NewsChannel 8
    Authorities say a homeowner shot and killed a suspected burglar after a confrontation in a rural Midwest City neighborhood Thursday afternoon. Oklahoma County Sheriff's spokesman Mark Myers says the resident told deputies he spotted a man breaking into a large shed on his property and confronted him about 2:30 p.m.

When the supect got into his car and tried to flee, the homeowner says he stepped in front of the vehicle to prevent the man from leaving.

The homeowner says he fired one shot from a shotgun as the suspected burglar lunged toward him in his car.

Myers says the man died at the scene. The names of the victim and the shooter were not immediately released.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Well another one bites the dust but I am not stepping in front of a car that was trying to leave a burglary. I had a partner do that one time......well that's another story for another time.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

+1 on not stepping in front of a car
    Mr. President: They didn't die for open borders.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixintu View Post
    +1 on not stepping in front of a car
    Ditto.
    That is stupid.
    Further this may be seen by some as unlawful detention.

Even as the person was caught attempting to burglarize his property he did upon being caught stop his actions and attempt to flee. A citizen does not power to arrest/detain with attempted property theft. Yet this dude placed himself in direct mortal danger upon the burglar attempting to flee in order to detain him. The result of which ended with loss of human life, unnecessarily.
    Yes he was an attempted burglary burglar and likely not a good guy, but he doing wrong does not waive the homeowner from having to be lawful. The burglar still has rights even during the commission of a burglary and it is his right to choose to flee upon being caught.

Of course this will not be a popular sentiment here but none the less it is a view and consideration to keep in mind.
    Citizens are not police and do not have police powers nor are victims of a crime in the immediate then enhanced and allowed to act above the law. Same as a criminals rights are not abrogated because he's in the commission of a crime.

In this case the best thing to have been done considering there was no real harm nevermind mortal danger made against the property owner, prior to he attempting to block the burglars exit by car which was foolish, was to note the make, model, and lic. plate of the attempted burglars vehicle as he fled and to relay that to the police immediately.
    Leave the vehicle blocking, detention/arrest attempts, and if he resists detention/arrest the BG shooting to the proper authorities under lawful conditions.

The local prosecutor though may, and likely will not, attempt to press charges against the property owner for the resulting press would be incredibly hard for him and the community at large may not understand the reasoning.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

jfl
    One less BG = good.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    One less BG = good.
    +1.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

I'll have to call my grand parents, they live in Midwest City.
    NRA Member

i think i would have shot out one of his tires then called 911
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    A citizen does not power to arrest/detain with attempted property theft.
    A citizen, does, however, have every right to stop a mortal transgression against a person.

Yet this dude placed himself in direct mortal danger ...
    In this case the best thing to have been done considering there was no real harm nevermind mortal danger made against the property owner, prior to he attempting to block the burglars exit by car which was foolish ...
    I see it differently. Stepping in front of the criminal where he could be seen perhaps was foolish (given the size of a car). But the citizen didn't choose to mow down a citizen. The criminal did. That's a lethal threat, and stopping it isn't a crime, no matter how preferable staying inside the home may have been.

If someone's burglarizing my car or home, I have every right to ask what the hell is going on. My asking isn't a crime, nor does the asking ratchet anything to the next level. The citizen doesn't CAUSE this to happen, in other words.

If the criminal chooses to take the inquiry rather violently and steps it up to the next level, well ... it's hard to argue the risks of the criminal's chosen profession.

Should a criminal choose to point a lethal threat in a citizen's direction, then IMO a citizen has every right to defend against that threat. You're suggesting a citizen doesn't have the right to walk on the pavement, sidewalk, yard or wherever, merely because a criminal is in the area, even fleeing?

Basically, self-defense laws support this. Some communities are rather rabid about protecting all life, even at the expense of a citizen. Risk such action in such a place, and you get what you get. But elsewhere it's rather the other way around.

It's a matter of perspective as to whether a criminal's right to flee evaporates the moment he chooses to execute lethal force against a citizen. I believe it does, at that moment.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links