My Neighbors Were Robbed

This is a discussion on My Neighbors Were Robbed within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Apparently on Tuesday during the day someone robbed my neighbor's house a couple doors down. We live in one of the nicest areas in town, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Neighbors Were Robbed

My Neighbors Were Robbed

Apparently on Tuesday during the day someone robbed my neighbor's house a couple doors down. We live in one of the nicest areas in town, but as you know this kind of thing can happen anywhere.

I have a dog and an alarm, but what am I supposed to do when I'm away at work all day?

Our neighbors left us this note today:

That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

2. Remove Ads

I forgot to mention: I'd appreciate any advice people have on any actions I should take, if any.

Install security cameras?
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

What are you supposed to do, if a working stiff? A monitored alarm system might be one consideration, with a couple of stay-at-home neighbors who can keep one eye open. You can find ethernet-based sensors that'll send a simple email/text message to your cell phone, if motion or noise is sensed. At best, you're relegated to forcing them to face rapidly-diminishing time window, whether via dog, alarm, your rushing home.

A good time to review things: safe that's bolted to the foundation; numbered & photographed items of value; a rider on the insurance that covers the valuable items; an alarm, perhaps.

EDIT: .
    Last edited by ccw9mm; September 12th, 2008 at 01:10 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

According to the Metro PD website, there was another burglary 2 streets over last Friday at 8:45am.

Seems like the crooks decided to target our neighborhood all of a sudden.
    Last edited by whyipackmy45; September 12th, 2008 at 02:17 AM.

I have a dog and alarm too, with signs and stickers warning of both. I put the stickers on the side and back windows too, figuring that would be a likely place they would look to get in. I have extra locks on the sliders and high quality locks on the front door. I have an irregular schedule, also if I'm out doing yard work the dogs are out with me- let anyone that's interested know they are here. I have thought about a camera system too but still debating it.

Ask the PD for extra patrols and keep in touch the with the neighbors. You can look out for each other.

Sounds like perhaps the neighbor's alarm wasn't turned on. My suggestion would be to have a good alarm system and always have it on. I know that sounds unnecessary to some to mention that, but apparently some people don't turn their alarm on when they aren't home, or perhaps they aren't consistent with using it.

I don't think burglars are going to hang around long if there is an alarm blaring (assuming it's a residential area and not a home out in the middle of nowhere).

I would also get a system that alarms immediately if the phone lines are cut.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Sounds like perhaps the neighbor's alarm wasn't turned on. My suggestion would be to have a good alarm system and always have it on. I know that sounds unnecessary to some to mention that, but apparently some people don't turn their alarm on when they aren't home, or perhaps they aren't consistent with using it.

I don't think burglars are going to hang around long if there is an alarm blaring (assuming it's a residential area and not a home out in the middle of nowhere).

I would also get a system that alarms immediately if the phone lines are cut.
    Right you are. As I understand it, they didn't have their alarm on. Apparently most of my neighbors don't bother arming their alarms. I'm sure they will now.

Well said CCW. God forbid the use of deadly force.

I hope your neighbors are OK. Items can be replaced

I have an Alarm system and cameras. alarm is ADT and I am not sure about there service. The thing starts beeping when a zone is breeched.

I have documented some pretty intresting video's of the neighbor kids TP ing my house. I got the last laugh when I sent over the video labled comedy, There family all sat down to watch and "shocker" All in good fun I said.

Get a gun.

Tough situation. In reality, there is nothing you can do once you are targeted. Limit opportunities, minimise potential losses.

I just helped a woman (who is packing) who had a break in. She got an alarm and strengthened her locks. Few weeks later, they cut the phone (knocking out the alarm), broke down the door (locks lasted but frame was the weaker link). They came back for the big screen TV and grabbed a few more items. She was at work each time.

Now she has a better alarm (one with a cell phone, but once you loose the phone link you would think the alarm company would respond). Better doors, locks, and frame.

She asked what else she could do. I suggested a good size dog.

Video might help, but I have heard of business that were targeted and they took and pawned the cameras.

People also organize community watch programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Get a gun.
    I got that covered already

People also organize community watch programs.
    The problem with that is that these crimes happen while we're all at work during the day.

For once, I think I'll actually attend my HOA meeting this month.

I think its great your neighbors took the time to warn you. Many times things like this happen and the neighbors never know.

Michael

45 ,,what part of town was this ,,,if u dont mind i am over by durango an westclif

Quote Originally Posted by unleashed View Post
    45 ,,what part of town was this ,,,if u dont mind i am over by durango an westclif
    South Summerlin. Do you know where R.C. Wiley is on Town Center? Near there. South of Red Rock.

There have been a lot of these robberies throughout Vegas. People I know in North Summerlin have had the same thing going on in their neighborhoods. We also had them happen when we lived in Spring Valley to the east of us.

(locks lasted but frame was the weaker link)
    This is usually the case. Good frames should have a steel reinforcing plate that the bolt goes through. Then you should run a couple 3" screws into the stud behind it. Doors with sidelights are weaker because 1. you can't reinforce like this, and 2. they'll just break the glass and unlock the door (unless you were smart enough to put a double key lock on it.) Same goes for sliding doors/doors with windows.
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

i live in Vegas...most robberys do occur between 9 and 5. we have a "neighborhood watch", but it's only active at night really.

Some homes in my neighborhood have been robbed, but all of them do not have alarms.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links