DC resident shoots invader...oops it was an on duty fire crew making entry, 1 injured

DC resident shoots invader...oops it was an on duty fire crew making entry, 1 injured

This is a discussion on DC resident shoots invader...oops it was an on duty fire crew making entry, 1 injured within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.emsresponder.com/web/online/Top-EMS-News/DC-Rescuer-Shot-During-EMS-Response/1$8180 D.C. Rescuer Shot During EMS Response WASHINGTON -- A firefighter was shot in the District on Monday night after crews made forced entry into ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DC resident shoots invader...oops it was an on duty fire crew making entry, 1 injured

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

http://www.emsresponder.com/web/online/Top-EMS-News/DC-Rescuer-Shot-During-EMS-Response/1$8180

D.C. Rescuer Shot During EMS Response

WASHINGTON --

A firefighter was shot in the District on Monday night after crews made forced entry into an apartment, police said.

The 26-year-old firefighter was shot in the arm in the 4800 block of East Capitol Street just before 10 p.m., police said. Authorities said firefighters broke the door of an apartment down while responding to a report of a man having chest pains.

Police said the 57-year-old man thought someone was breaking into his apartment and shot at the firefighters, grazing one of them in the arm.

Firefighters went to the man's residence after his brother become concerned when he could not get him back on the phone, News4's Jackie Bensen reported.

Bensen reported that the man, who was a little confused, barricaded himself in his apartment for a short time. He surrendered to police without incident shortly before 11 p.m. and was taken into custody.

The firefighter was treated at a local hospital and released on Monday night.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Fantastic... Ammunition for the people who were for the Gun ban.

I can already hear it...
    "Look. See what happens when we allow people to have guns. Firefighters get shot!"
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Morale of the story : it's not wise to break down people's doors.... esp if they aren't the one who called you.

If I was sitting there and suddenly my door gets busted in and someone comes charging in.... they may well be shot as well.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    If I was sitting there and suddenly my door gets busted in and someone comes charging in.... they may well be shot as well.
    +1. I agree.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Morale of the story : it's not wise to break down people's doors.... esp if they aren't the one who called you.

+1 If the call doesn't come from me, don't bust down my door.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Man I was hoping one of the first home shooting in DC was going to be a BG.. That sucks that it was a life safety guy.. I agree with you guys.. Its not a good idea to be breaking down doors.. or if its for a medical reason you might want to have the caller come with..
    ~XD-45 Compact~
    You might be weak but God is Strong!

Quote Originally Posted by OLYXDGUY View Post
    Man I was hoping one of the first home shooting in DC was going to be a BG.. That sucks that it was a life safety guy.. ..
    The first shooting probably was a bad guy. The papers wouldn't report that though, would they? Anybody want to bet me a Snickers bar over it?
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Quote Originally Posted by bigiceman View Post
    The first shooting probably was a bad guy. The papers wouldn't report that though, would they? Anybody want to bet me a Snickers bar over it?
    Exactly.

It's only newsworthy if it furthers your own agenda, right?
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

Do paramedics and firefighters do no-knock entries in such a manner that the "man with chest pains" wouldn't know that help was on the way (even if he, himself, wasn't the one to call for that help)?
    Last edited by ccw9mm; September 13th, 2008 at 01:11 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

excellent timing. just after things where looking good for d.c.
    did'nt think paramedics/fire dept. could bust down the doors.
    thought i have to agree with the other posts.
    if my door is kicked open, it is a good probabilty that someone
    is gonna get shot.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OLYXDGUY View Post
    Man I was hoping one of the first home shooting in DC was going to be a BG.. That sucks that it was a life safety guy.. I agree with you guys.. Its not a good idea to be breaking down doors.. or if its for a medical reason you might want to have the caller come with..
    [Speculation] The other side of this is the chance that the gun was registered was probably slim and none! I'm not sure how many registrations they have completed so far. And that probably means the shooter will end up being charged for a weapons violation along with anything else they can hang on him! [/Speculation]
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I think about home invasions all the time...it has happened in Gainesville. We live in a great neighborhood...where the goodies are...thugs know that. Dirtbags seldom invade homes in slum areas unless it's a drug house.

My weapon is always near...I practice where to take cover and still shoot whatever is coming through the front or back door...I can cover both from several spots.

Our 125# Rhodesian Ridgeback knows his responsibilities...

Someone busting through either door is not going to run very far into our home...

Stay armed......stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Will someone explain to me how "barricaded" came to describe anyone armed behind a locked door? I guess I'm just old-fashioned, but when someone "barricades" himself, he's got stuff loaded up behind the door to prevent the door from opening... Now every news report of an armed guy behind a closed door has the guy "barricaded" in his home.

<sigh> ...just like "tarmac" - a British word for a paving material - now is used to describe a part of an airport we used to call the "apron."

It doesn't sound good and is exactly one of the big arguments Chicago has been using for keeping it's own firearms ban in the city.

OTOH, THEY are the ones than spent so many years forbidding firearms ownership and by that action, effectively gave the entire city NO REASON AT ALL to get any firearms training. How about encouraging firearms education, instead of doing their best to promote ignorance?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Ummm.... maybe it should've went like this??

<knock, knock, knock>
    "This is the Fire Department, we have a call concerning someone having chest pains, please open the door."

<harder hits to door>
    "if we do not get a response from someone inside apartment #, then we will be forced to force the door open."

<smash, wham, crash>

door is now open.......
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links