Two Teens Sentenced For Roles In Armed Home Invasion - Ocala, FL

This is a discussion on Two Teens Sentenced For Roles In Armed Home Invasion - Ocala, FL within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Teens get 12 years for roles in armed break-in | Ocala.com | Star-Banner | Ocala, FL OCALA Two young men, just 15 and 18 ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By David in FL
  • 1 Post By miklcolt45

Thread: Two Teens Sentenced For Roles In Armed Home Invasion - Ocala, FL

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Teens get 12 years for roles in armed break-in | Ocala.com | Star-Banner | Ocala, FL

OCALA Two young men, just 15 and 18 when they got involved in a botched armed robbery attempt orchestrated by a 51-year-old convicted felon, were sentenced to minimum mandatory prison terms in court Tuesday, despite the prosecutor's frank admission of mitigating factors.

Circuit Judge Brian Lambert sentenced Justin Tyler, now 19, to 10-year sentences on two counts, the minimum time allowed, for serving as a principal to a home invasion robbery with firearm and as a principal to the burglary of a dwelling with firearm.

Lambert also sentenced the teen to 12 years on one count of acting as principal to burglary of dwelling while armed and three years each on two counts of acting as a principal to grand theft. The sentences will run concurrent with each other.

Tyler was also given two years of probation. Lambert refused a defense request to classify Tyler as a youthful offender, in which case he would have seen no more than six years of prison time.

"I know he's a young man, but he's also committed three felonies that could place him in prison for life," Lambert said after his ruling.

Tyler's sentence issued before a courtroom full of the defendants' family members and victims of January's attempted robbery seemed momentarily to stun the courtroom. Prosecutors had praised Tyler in court as the individual responsible for leading officials to the main culprit in the robbery scheme, John Blackburn Hanna Sr.

Assistant State Attorney Ron Bendekovic called Tyler "bright and articulate" and extremely "truthful and forthcoming" as he reminded the judge of Tyler's youth and his lack of a previous criminal history.

Hanna, a career criminal, could have gotten away with the scheme, the lawyer added, were it not for Tyler's detailed statement to detectives shortly following the incident. Tyler was hospitalized at the time for a bullet wound that barely missed his heart. He was shot with a mock AK-47 fired by the homeowner, Kenneth Green, in self-defense.

In court Tuesday, Tyler's left arm was still in a sling.

Later, in a phone interview, Bendekovic said he would have been remiss had he not been forthcoming about Tyler's involvement, or his cooperation, with prosecutors.

Several weeks ago, Lambert sentenced Hanna, who pleaded no contest to the robbery, to life in prison on top of the life term he gave him for violating his probation in the first place.

Hodges a 16-year-old with a troubled youth, including a string of juvenile crimes was given 12 years in prison after being charged with one count of serving as principal to a home invasion robbery with firearm.

Both teens last month entered no contest pleas. They were given 244 days of credit for time served in jail.

The robbery attempt took place at a home in Summerfield when six people were inside Green, his son, Geoffrey, and four of his friends. Hanna carried a loaded .38 caliber revolver, Tyler an unloaded .25-caliber weapon, and Hodges, a lookalike BB pistol.

Besides Tyler and Hanna, who was also struck by the WASR-10 during a brief shootout, no one was injured.

Hodges' mother, Joni, was romantically involved with Hanna at the time of the incident, and all three were living at the Silver Springs Motel, family members testified. The motel is also where Tyler met Hanna.

"He just turned 18, he thought he knew everything," Tyler's mother, Michila Fleming, said after the hearing. Tears streaming down her face, she said the teen was a good son who got good grades and that she worried about his safety in prison, given his injury and his earlier statement to detectives.

"That puts you as target, testifying against other people," she said.

Kenneth Green, who was present for the sentencing, said he thought it a shame Tyler was so young, but that "he made the decision to do the crime."

"I feel really badly that he's been manipulated so badly by Mr. Hanna," he said.

Ed Tilton, Tyler's court-appointed attorney, said Lambert gave his client the "bottom-line" sentence, considering a life term was an option. Still, he added: "Mr. Tyler was gracious, recalcitrant, repentant, cooperative. Based on all those things, he earned that statement from Mr. Bendekovic."
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Ed Tilton, Tyler's court-appointed attorney, said Lambert gave his client the "bottom-line" sentence, considering a life term was an option. Still, he added: "Mr. Tyler was gracious, recalcitrant, repentant, cooperative. Based on all those things, he earned that statement from Mr. Bendekovic."

Seems to me that the court-appointed attorney tried to use one too many big words.......he should probably look up recalcitrant before he uses it next time.
    AngelEyes likes this.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Seems to me that the court-appointed attorney tried to use one too many big words.......he should probably look up recalcitrant before he uses it next time.
    now that's funny

Tyler was hospitalized at the time for a bullet wound that barely missed his heart. He was shot with a mock AK-47 fired by the homeowner, Kenneth Green, in self-defense.
    Excuse my ignorance, but how do you get shot with a 'mock' AK?

Is a WASR-10 a 'mock' anything? Or, is this reporter simply unable to write clearly in the English language?
    AngelEyes likes this.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Yeah he's my ex boyfriend...=[

I dated Justin on and off for a few years in High School. We lost contact in 2005 and I thought about him a lot and then one day ran across some of his family and they gave me an address and told me to write him... In prison. I then began to research what he was in prison for. After reading articles and arrest inquiries, I was completely shocked. He was nothing like this in High School. Can anyone tell me if he will possibly get out on good time and if he has 12 years what is his estimated release date? Thanks! And no I don't want to be back with him but I think that he may need a friend when he gets out...

More info

Justin Tyler also got away with rape. He was charged with assault/battery instead.

I don't know if Florida has "truth in sentencing" but if they do that twelve years means getting out in twelve years. If not he might be out in eight. Give or take a year or two.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

^^^^^^^^I agree^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is what i thought it meant, but had to check for sure, seeing as IANAL.
    Poor kid had lousy representation.

Definition of RECALCITRANT
    1: obstinately defiant of authority or restraint
    2a : difficult to manage or operate b : not responsive to treatment

From here; Recalcitrant - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

They were all seeds that went bad. The sentencing seemed fair to me.

Mark Twain:
    Always do right--this will gratify some and astonish the rest.
    message to Young People's Society, Greenpoint Presbyterian Church, Brooklyn, New York, February 16, 1901
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Young dirtbags trying to be tough...got what they deserved.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Wow, this thread got revived from the dead.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I don't know if Florida has "truth in sentencing" but if they do that twelve years means getting out in twelve years. If not he might be out in eight. Give or take a year or two.
    Florida has what they call the "85% rule", which means that at least 85% of the sentenced time must be served in prison before release.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Wow, this thread got revived from the dead.
    Wow! is correct, I didn't even notice that.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links