Ugly - Phoenix officer shoots man who confronted burglar - Page 2

Ugly - Phoenix officer shoots man who confronted burglar

This is a discussion on Ugly - Phoenix officer shoots man who confronted burglar within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Good thing the cop was a bad shot!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Good thing the cop was a bad shot!

I can't second guess the officer in this shooting, even though he is probably doing plenty of that himself right now. He had a tough break. I hope no lives are ruined over this.-Jay
    "The price of freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness." -Robert A. Heinlein

This is why you want to be your own first responder. A cop enters the home he doesn't know who the bad guy is. For all he knows it's the kids you are trying to protect. Or, maybe you or your wife.

During a home invasion, nobody is more clear on who the intruder is than you. And nobody knows the lay of the house more than you, or the safe angles of fire.

Sad for the good guy ...

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    +1. Arriving to a shots fired call and there's a man with a gun. Very tough.
    If this is such a "tough" call then you'd think LE's would be shooting each other all the time. I mean, most detectives and off-duty LE are not wearing any visible ID (at night, it wouldn't be seen anyway), and there would often be armed, out-of-uniform LE responding to these calls.

So, what prevents LE from shooting each other when answering these types of calls?
    Last edited by Chevy-SS; September 19th, 2008 at 03:01 PM.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    Even in your home, much less on the street, NEVER EVER meet an office with a gun in your hand. Always holster it, put it in your belt then move your hands away from it, or lay it down and step away when you see them.
    Yep, and the cops announced themselves too. You have to know they'll be pretty high strung on a call like that.

Gotta think, man; hope it all works out as well as possible.
    Freedom ... must be fought for, protected, and handed on ... or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -- Ronald Reagan, 1967

The lawyers are lined up for miles...
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by lws380 View Post
    Good thing the cop was a bad shot!
    Getting Shot twice in your own home by the cops would suck!!
    Would the homeowner have a civil suit against the officer, or city?
    He broke no laws that was mentioned, and I can't imagine him pointing his weapon at the officers or failing to comply with there demands if they gave any. In the end I bet this officer was a little ramped up and to quick on the trigger!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    Getting Shot twice in your own home by the cops would suck!!
    Would the homeowner have a civil suit against the officer, or city?
    He broke no laws that was mentioned, and I can't imagine him pointing his weapon at the officers or failing to comply with there demands if they gave any. In the end I bet this officer was a little ramped up and to quick on the trigger!!
    I have to agree. I can't imagine that the officer gave any orders and enough time to comply and the home owner didn't listen.
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Very complex situation. Too tough to call. Hate to see good guys getting shot. It lessens our odds of turning the tide against crime every time something like this happens. Hopefully the homeowner survives and everyone will know more.

DC Founder
    If the police pull up on a scene and a woman is standing in the yard next door tells the police she lives in the house and yelling that "he (not specifically her husband) has a gun!", they will not be held responsible. Nor should they. The reports I heard was that they were repeatedly yelling "police, drop the weapon" after entering the house. If this was me, I would drop the gun before they got to me. Doing otherwise will get you shot, and it did...

If this is such a "tough" call then you'd think LE's would be shooting each other all the time. I mean, most detectives and off-duty LE are not wearing any visible ID (at might, it wouldn't be seen anyway), and there would often be armed, out-of-uniform LE responding to these calls.

So, what prevents LE from shooting each other when answering these types of calls?
    Actually there are a number of cases of off duty officers being shot in their own homes in this type of situation....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

While there is not a lot of information regarding the circumstances or providing a lot of critical details, there is one comment that is obvious and glaring!

Good guys involved in shootings need to put the gun down or away when the police arrive!

You don't need ID cards or CCW Badges or the like.

All you need to do, to not get shot by responding officers... Is To Not Be Standing There Holding A Smoking Gun In Your Hand When The Cops Arrive!

Can it be any more simple than that?

How many of you here believe... It's ok... you can say it...

How many of you believe that if he wasn't holding the gun, he wouldn't have been shot?

I don't know what goes through peoples minds that it's OK to go waiving a gun around when the cops arrive. Like they truly believe that as soon as they put the gun down, the bad guy... is going to suddenly get up and do them as the cops are arriving.

Crazy!

I'm glad the guy is expected to survive... but it's a mess!

The cop has to deal with shooting an innocent person, even though, he could in the long run justify it due to the man holding the gun... he was still the good guy and the cop will carry that on his mind.

The guy who got shot, will probably be left with permanent crippling injuries and more than likely develop life long chronic pain.

It's bad all around. But at this point, I can't and won't blame the LEO who shot him. Not without more details and a bigger picture of what exactly happened!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

TOF
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Phoenix. Maricopa county. Sheriff Joe. Hmmmm.

This is a Phoenix PD thing not Sheriff Joe's.

Sheriff Joe is doing a good job, thats why we keep voting for him.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Where was his CCW badge? You know if.......... Lucky to be alive. As stated LEO doesn't know good guy from bad guy. LEO orders drop the weapon. Drop it. Homeowner could have had sensoray overload or could of had temporary hearing loss if the gun was fired in close quarters. Time will tell.

Arizona has a Castle Doctrine. Shouldn't have been holding a home-invader at gunpoint - no need to have a gun in hand. I'll leave it at that.

IIRC, a good lesson for us, the article hasn't quoted any statements by the LEO. Better to not have your words misconstrued by the public before the dust settles.

Hope the GG is ok and the LEO too. This could be the kind of thing that could get him shot next time, second guessing...
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links