Ugly - Phoenix officer shoots man who confronted burglar

This is a discussion on Ugly - Phoenix officer shoots man who confronted burglar within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Phoenix officer shoots man who confronted burglar Sept. 18, 2008 07:42 AM 12 News and The Associated Press Phoenix police say one of their officers ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ugly - Phoenix officer shoots man who confronted burglar

Phoenix officer shoots man who confronted burglar

Sept. 18, 2008 07:42 AM
    12 News and The Associated Press
    Phoenix police say one of their officers shot and wounded a man who had been holding a burglar at gunpoint inside his home.
    Sgt. Tommy Thompson says the incident late Wednesday happened as officers responded to a flurry of calls in an east Phoenix neighborhood, about shots fired, a wounded man who acted strangely after being let into a good Samaritan's home and finally, a break-in at a nearby home.
    Arriving officers found a screaming woman who had fled the last home with two children while her mate confronted the intruder.
    Thompson says officers went inside, ordered everyone out and saw the armed resident coming down a hallway. One officer shot the 35-year-old man several times, but he's expected to survive.
    Officers then detained the intruder.
    The officer was responding to a shooting call near 32nd Street and Thomas. Shortly after he arrived, he fired his weapon. The officer was not hurt.

Witnesses said they heard about 10 gunshots around 8:00 p.m. Wednesday.

Now that is messed up..

Did the officer tell him to drop his weapon?

Was the good guy pointing his gun at the officer?

Or was the officer trigger happy?

How can the officer get hurt if he shot the good guy?
    Read my story.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ed-1994-a.html

Pictures in page 5 & 6

Administrator
    a tough situation, and I'm not dumb enough to pass judgement on this one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Way too little info to come to any reasonable conclusion. I hope we get more as it comes to light......
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

said he was armed not how he was carrying and no word of any warning from the officer.

probably a combination of poor judgement by the home owner (but that can be expected if he had just had to defend his family with a gun) and trigger happy cop.
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

Second source and update
    Police shoot innocent homeowner who was holding gun on suspect | LOCAL NEWS | Local Breaking News from AZFAMILY.COM & KTVK 3TV - Arizona's Family

UPDATE: Thursday morning Officer shoots homeowner

PHOENIX -- A Valley homeowner who was holding an armed suspect at gunpoint is in the hospital after being shot several times by police.
    Investigators were still on the scene Thursday morning, several hours after the incident at 32nd Street and Thomas Road.
    Police are working on sorting out the convoluted details that led to the apparent mix-up.
    It all started with a shots-fired call at about 8 p.m. Wednesday.
    A homeowner in the area apparently opened his door to somebody claiming he had been shot. The homeowner let a man and a woman inside his home. That's when the man apparently started acting strange. The resident took off.
    Neighbors said the man was going house to house down the street, all the time screaming that he'd been shot and needed help.
    When he came to a home on Flower Street, not far away from the first home, he broke the front window and climbed inside.
    The owner of that home grabbed his gun while his wife and two children ran outside.
    Police arrived on the scene and saw the wife, who reportedly was yelling, "He's got a gun!"
    Officers went inside the house and announced their presence.
    The officers saw a man with a gun and one of them opened fire. That man turned out to be the homeowner, and he was holding the suspect at gunpoint. It's not known if that suspect was armed
    Neighbors heard multiple gunshots.
    The homeowner was hit several times. He was taken to the hospital and is expected to recover.
    The suspect, who apparently had been wounded in the leg earlier in an incident that sparked the initial shots-fired call, was also taken to the hospital.
    It's still not clear exactly what led up to that initial shooting or who pulled the trigger.
    The officer who fired at the homeowner has been placed on administrative leave, which is standard procedure in any officer-involved shooting.
    ORIGINAL STORY
    PHOENIX -- Phoenix Police responded to reports of a shooting Wednesday night.
    The incident happened near 32nd street and Thomas in east Phoenix.
    Phoenix Fire say that they treated 2 victims who had been shot multiple times.
    One victim was 27 years old, the other was 35.
    Phoenix Police say that an officer did discharge their weapon, but do not know if the rounds hit any of the suspects.
    Authorities believe they have all suspects accounted for but did search the area as a precaution.

As others have said, far to little information for me to make a call on this one.

If I'm the one calling the locals, I give the 911 operator my description including shirt color, and then stay on the phone with 911 until the officer confirms with the operator he has me in sight.

Even in your home, much less on the street, NEVER EVER meet an office with a gun in your hand. Always holster it, put it in your belt then move your hands away from it, or lay it down and step away when you see them.

Until they figure out who all the players are, they have no way of knowing whom the Bad Guys and Good Guys are.

VIP Member
    Unfortunate, but stuff happens in the heat of the moment. Everyone had their adrenalin on high and their brains on low.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    a tough situation, and I'm not dumb enough to pass judgement on this one.
    +1. Arriving to a shots fired call and there's a man with a gun. Very tough.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

one thing for sure - homeowner lucky to be alive after being shot at.
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

A lot of wrong things.

Seems to me the spouse was the biggest problem. Why in heck wouldn't she tell the LEO's that her husband was armed.

I smell a divorce coming.

I would advise.....

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    As others have said, far to little information for me to make a call on this one.

If I'm the one calling the locals, I give the 911 operator my description including shirt color, and then stay on the phone with 911 until the officer confirms with the operator he has me in sight.

Even in your home, much less on the street, NEVER EVER meet an office with a gun in your hand. Always holster it, put it in your belt then move your hands away from it, or lay it down and step away when you see them.

Until they figure out who all the players are, they have no way of knowing whom the Bad Guys and Good Guys are.
    I would advise NOT staying on the phone with 911. Tell them you need police and an ambulance at such-n-such address, repeat it if required, then hang up. Everything coming out of your mouth is being recorded. While this homeowner shooting is regrettable it is also unusual I think. You are far more likely to be prosecuted for something that you said in an irrational state than being accidently shot by police. I think there is more to this and as another poster pointed out the wife didn’t help with what she told police.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post

I agree with this part...
    I would be aware of what I'm saying while on the phone...if the going gets tough, then the phone is dropped and the lead flies...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I remember a thread a while back about what would you do if someone showed up at your door wounded, or something like that. This situation almost became the worst-case result of letting a wounded stranger into your home.

Phoenix. Maricopa county. Sheriff Joe. Hmmmm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links