DC resident Defends Himself with gun

This is a discussion on DC resident Defends Himself with gun within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; www.dcexaminer.com >> Local News Dig the quote by the Police Union Chief at the End! Timbers is on the mend, his union chief, Kris Baumann, ...

Thread: DC resident Defends Himself with gun

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

DC resident Defends Himself with gun

www.dcexaminer.com >> Local News

Dig the quote by the Police Union Chief at the End!

Timbers is on the mend, his union chief, Kris Baumann, told The Examiner.
    “Thank God he’s going to be all right,” Baumann said. “And thank God he was able to defend himself.”

DC Politician most likely comback-Well he was a Police Officer and he should be able to defend himself.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

When asked about the the "time", he should have simply told him 'yes' then simply got up and gone inside his home, locked the door behind him, and dialed 911 and leave things to the police to take care of.
    No shots may have been fired on city streets and were not necessary.

- Adrian Fenty, Mayor, District of Columbia
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

The guy who defended himself was a retired DC police officer.

The positive statements of the DC officials are only for those in the family.

If someone who wasn't connected to the police defended himself, the comments would be FAR different.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    When asked about the the "time", he should have simply told him 'yes' then simply got up and gone inside his home, locked the door behind him, and dialed 911 and leave things to the police to take care of.
    No shots may have been fired on city streets and were not necessary.

- Adrian Fenty, Mayor, District of Columbia
    Janq, in reading the article it would appear that getting up, turning around and entering his house would likely have gotten him shot, perhaps beyond his ability to fire back. I mean, you and I weren't there, so this is just MMQB, but I think the guy did the right thing. For sure someone waving a gun around and asking me if I know what time it is (time to die?), I'm not about to wait and see if he plans to shoot.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Doc,

Note the signature I used in that posting.
    My words were completely tongue in cheek, and following the crazy talk real world ignorant speak and advisory of DC Mayor Fenty.

Fenty is a fool.

- Janq, DC native and son of a retired DC cop
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    ...The positive statements of the DC officials are only for those in the family.

If someone who wasn't connected to the police defended himself, the comments would be FAR different.
    Not in Baumann's case.

He is new blood and has been very much outspoken and critical of superiors including Ramsey of old and current Chief Kathy Lanier as well as mayor Fenty, and their positions toward citizens, 2A, and SCoTUS including just a few months ago

D.C. bill to allow handgun registration
    David C. Lipscomb (Contact)
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008

...Officer Kris Baumann, chairman of the police union labor committee that represents the Metropolitan Police Department, criticized the District's fight for the gun ban and said city officials waited too long to prepare legislation in the event the ban was overturned.

Officer Baumann said laws directed at strictly regulating gun owners will have little or no effect on crime in the District. He advocates mandatory minimums for gun offenses.

"The idea that there are going to be more guns available to criminals doesn't make sense," Officer Baumann said. "We've had some [gun thefts] but it's a drop in the bucket compared to the number of guns out there."...

Source - http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ration/?page=2
    Baumann is a friend of the city and it's citizens, as well as the police of DC.

- Janq

Doc,

My words were completely tongue in cheek, and following the crazy talk real world ignorant speak and advisory of DC Mayor Fenty.

Fenty is a fool.

Whew, for a minute I thought you were getting really soft on us Janq. I too thought, wow, don't think I could do that.

Glad it was just my misread.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

:)

Yeah as how the kids roll now days, in DC, at the time that the two kids rolled up on him he was done. Fleeing was no longer an option, unless he were The Flash.
    Shoot or get shot. :|

- Janq

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Doc,

Fenty is a fool.

Ah, I see now. Was reading and responding too quickly. I have read what anti-gunners say so many times I have gotten too quick on the draw, as it were.

Check your private messages (I wanted to ask you something but I don't want to hijack the thread).
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

VIP Member
    I read the article, and had to post a comment. Not that the powers to be could give a rats --- about what anyone things. Heres my post:

"Yes, thank god he was able to defend himself. Now it is time for the powers to be in DC to realize it is "every citizens right" to defend themselves from the thugs of this world. DC's gun ban has been a miserable failure. The only thing it accomplished was to make honest citizens fear for their safety, with no way to defend themselves. Of course those same powers to be are not concerned, they have their weapons, they have their police bodyguards, the only thing they don't have is common sense!"
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I believe the retired officer was following his training and instincts and responded just as I hope I would have.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Timbers is on the mend, his union chief, Kris Baumann, told The Examiner.
    “Thank God he’s going to be all right,” Baumann said. “And thank God he was able to defend himself.”
    So what does Baumann say when young thugs roll up on a private citizen, who is not allowed to carry, and asks "do you know what time it is?"and the punks leave them laying in their own blood to die..."Thank God he was not able to defend himself?"
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

Links