Mugging on Campus

This is a discussion on Mugging on Campus within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Great, another opportunistic pack of thugs tries to use the safe haven of a University campus to pick off victims they know aren't armed. I ...

Thread: Mugging on Campus

Mo [OP]

Mugging on Campus

Great, another opportunistic pack of thugs tries to use the safe haven of a University campus to pick off victims they know aren't armed.

I think the victim should sue the University for not protecting him, seeing as how they mandate that you surrender the ability to legally protect yourself with a gun when stepping foot on University property.

Police arrest three in mugging on quad
    Last edited by pgrass101; September 25th, 2008 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Moved per OP's request

2. Remove Ads

... the safe haven of a University campus ...
    As we all know, school as a haven is an illusion. A school campus has NEVER been safe. For criminals, in the strictest sense it's a "watering hole."

A school campus has always been a prime hunting ground for a certain sort, given that it's where you find young/attractive folks of all types "ripe" for picking from the tree. Such risk merely becomes particularly apparent when such incidents occur. Sadly though, I doubt it's seen in this light by those who are most vulnerable.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo View Post
    I think the victim should sue the University for not protecting him, seeing as how they mandate that you surrender the ability to legally protect yourself with a gun when stepping foot on University property.
    He was attacked from behind...doubt being armed would of prevented this. Do you think the student has some responsibility to protect oneself? If one makes themself a target...eventually, they will become one.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    He was attacked from behind...doubt being armed would of prevented this. Do you think the student has some responsibility to protect oneself? If one makes themself a target...eventually, they will become one.

Rick
    Agree 100%, SA is key. Don't just wander through life, danger is lurking and one should be scanning.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Mo [OP]

Rick
    Being attacked from behind wouldn't have kept himm from fighting back. It didn't say he was knocked unconscious - he was probably just pushed to the ground. I can shoot from my back pretty well.

Being attacked from behind wouldn't have kept himm from fighting back. It didn't say he was knocked unconscious - he was probably just pushed to the ground. I can shoot from my back pretty well.
    In this case...it appears he didn't fight back either way..."The victim told officers that one man approached him from behind and pulled him to the ground and that the other two assailants kicked him..."

Regardless...kudos if "you" can fight from your back...out of curiousity, have you every drawn and shot from your back? I suspect many here have never drawn and fired on their back (at the risk of their bullet hitting someone far down range).

Rick

Mo [OP]

Regardless...kudos if "you" can fight from your back...out of curiousity, have you every drawn and shot from your back? I suspect many here have never drawn and fired on their back (at the risk of their bullet hitting someone far down range).

Rick
    I have, only in training scenarios, never in a real situation thank goodness!

I have, only in training scenarios, never in a real situation thank goodness!
    Then you understand that drawing while pummeled to the ground face first, then rolling to on your back, with little room for arm movement...is difficult at best.

Rick

3 against 1

thats typical. 3 wolfes against 1 sheepe. don't know about
    sueing the school, because that would'nt do any good.
    and they say guns carryed by law-abidding citizens would
    be dangerous(not as dangerous as being unable to defend
    ones self).
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Police arrest three in mugging on quad

Hey - those guys look EXACTLY like the people on our St. Paul MN police crime blotter. Maybe the media just keeps re-using the same few photos over and over? Must be the case.

Rick

What? You never make yourself a target. If you need to go somewhere late at night because you've been studying, you go. If someone is going to attack you, day or night, you should always be allowed to defend yourself so that you're not at a lesser advantage than your attacker. It's always bothered me how some people think it's their own fault for getting attacked. If you need to be somewhere, you need to be somewhere.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach and Holly View Post
    What? ... It's always bothered me how some people think it's their own fault for getting attacked. If you need to be somewhere, you need to be somewhere.
    Amen.

I agree that people should exercise SA at all times and use their common sense, but there's no reason to blame the victim. You can't live your entire life in fear that you'll be the victim of violent crime, although you can be prepared for that particular scenario. It also seems kind of unfair to chastise the victim for being blind sided by a group of people, it's not like he was trying to score drugs or provoking them.

My campus isn't particularly dangerous, but walking around the Greek community at night sets me on edge. Lots of drunk, bored young men walking around a location that actually has relatively low police presence (Cops hate dealing with them, and campus police have no jurisdiction there). It's not a good combination of factors. I'm glad the three assailants were apprehended.
    People do not lack strength; they lack will. Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Zach and Holly View Post
    What? You never make yourself a target. If you need to go somewhere late at night because you've been studying, you go. If someone is going to attack you, day or night, you should always be allowed to defend yourself so that you're not at a lesser advantage than your attacker. It's always bothered me how some people think it's their own fault for getting attacked. If you need to be somewhere, you need to be somewhere.
    Hummmm....then take precautions. Said nothing about not allowing someone to defend themself...lots of options in this area besides a gun. Do you think the attacker would of thought twice if there was a group? Why do you think the military leadership continually warns, if not outright orders, troops from walking alone in areas of potential harm...especially overseas. Sorry...the reality is walking late at night by oneself only hightens the chances as a target, no matter where you are at, no matter the gender. Sorry you don't like it...but I can't fix reality.

Rick

We weren't there to observe the situation or assess it, but there is a lot to be said about being aware of your surroundings and having a plan and being ready to use it. If you're not at condition yellow, or higher, it's easy to walk into an ambush, sometimes the ambush site is hard to identify...until you're in it. The best thing to do is avoid such potential sites, if at all possible...and if you have to move through it, do so quickly at condition orange, expecting the worst and hoping for the best.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

Links