DUMB: Witness fires gun as robber flees

This is a discussion on DUMB: Witness fires gun as robber flees within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by bandit383 Hummmm...physics aside...lots of examples of people being killed from falling bullets. Rick Please give me an example.. I have bullets fall ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DUMB: Witness fires gun as robber flees

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Hummmm...physics aside...lots of examples of people being killed from falling bullets.

Rick
    Please give me an example..

I have bullets fall on me frequently when I am bird hunting., they are really small. I suppose a really big bullet could do some more significant damage.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Lets see........someone behind me is firing a weapon........can't tell if it's being fired up in the air or directly at me.........so I am going to stop so they can get a better aim or am I going to run even faster.........I AIN'T STOPPING.......
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Hummmm...physics aside...lots of examples of people being killed from falling bullets.
    Not to get away from the point of the OP, which is the the witness is a complete 'tard, falling bullets aren't going to hurt anybody.

On the other hand, a high deflection shot that is still acting under the force of the original shot and still spiraling to give it some aerodynamic stability...youbetcha. And I am not going to assume that anybody stupid enough to have done what the witless^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hwitness did knows if he was pointing the gun straight up in the air or just at a high angle that could have killed somebody a mile away.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post

I have bullets fall on me frequently when I am bird hunting., they are really small. I suppose a really big bullet could do some more significant damage.
    One only has to google...here is a snippet...

Shooting Strait Up - Bob Tuley

Note the other links...bon apetite.

Rick

New Orleans hasn't recorded a fatality from a falling bullet since 1994, when 31-year-old Amy Silberman of Boston was killed by a round that fell from the sky and pierced her skull as she strolled the Moonwalk in the French Quarter.
    New Orleans has had plenty of incidents involving falling bullets, including a 2006 New Year's shooting that left a man paralyzed.

Mike Pieper, a 56-year-old housing inspector with the Federal Emergency Management Agency at the time, was struck in the side by a bullet while watching fireworks on the Mississippi River levee near South Carrollton Avenue at about midnight. He endured several surgeries before he regained the ability to walk.
    In 2001, Baton Rouge's 4th of July festivities were marred by the death of 8-year-old Sean Pfister, killed by a falling bullet fired into the sky by an unknown shooter.
    http://www.local6.com/news/4084756/detail.html

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Orange County sheriff's deputies have arrested a 24-year-old man Friday who allegedly fired a bullet into the sky on New Year's Eve that later fell to earth and pierced a man's heart, according to Local 6 News.
    Roach reportedly admitted to firing the gun into the air, Local 6 News reported.

The weapon was examined forensically by the Sheriff's Office and then by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. It was determined that the confiscated weapon fired the round that killed McDaniel.
    Hows that, just for the first google page? I'm a huge scientist and hate urban legends like "you'll catch a cold going out with a wet head" and that kind of crap, but sometimes science refuses to accept the obvious, and that is a mistake. Until the last year or 2, it was scientifically impossible for a hummingbird to fly, don't you know?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Not to get away from the point of the OP, which is the the witness is a complete 'tard, falling bullets aren't going to hurt anybody.

On the other hand, a high deflection shot that is still acting under the force of the original shot and still spiraling to give it some aerodynamic stability...youbetcha. And I am not going to assume that anybody stupid enough to have done what the witless^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hwitness did knows if he was pointing the gun straight up in the air or just at a high angle that could have killed somebody a mile away.
    What is the terminal velocity of a 147gr round, tumbling? Very curious...even without stability, it doesn't have to kill to hurt like the dickens, knock one unconscious, break the windshied of a car doing 70 on the expressway that is just a few hundred feet away thus possibly causing a tragic accident, where a van filled with a family smashes into bus filled with missionary nuns...
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    which is the the witness is a complete 'tard
    That comment right there just made my day.

I wasn't implying in my post that it could have killed someone, but to say someone could have been hurt. Or in the case Cupcake pointed out

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    break the windshied of a car doing 70 on the expressway that is just a few hundred feet away thus possibly causing a tragic accident, where a van filled with a family smashes into bus filled with missionary nuns...
    Now, I don't doubt anyone here disagrees this was just pain stupid, on many fronts.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

They did a mythbuster epsiode on this, if you shoot the gun straight up the bullets dont come down with enough force to kill, but if the gun is angled (as most are) they retain enough force to kill.

Quote Originally Posted by longcoldwinter View Post
    They did a mythbuster epsiode on this, if you shoot the gun straight up the bullets dont come down with enough force to kill, but if the gun is angled (as most are) they retain enough force to kill.
    Don't come down with enough force to kill who? Perhaps not a healthy adult...but an infant in a stroller? A person who has part of their skull missing, an thus no brain protection? Might not be common, but not nearly as rare as you might think. Anyway, the chances might be minute, but they exist. I'm just a real nit-picker about using words like "always" or "never" when in fact there is more to it.

Well if it's on the internet it must be true. I think each of those cases may have more info than what is published, but apparently with the large number some are probably legitimate. I don't fire a weapon straight up unless it's a bb gun, although sometimes when shooting doves it goes up pretty straight. Sorry to have gotten off on this tangent. I'll shut up now.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Well if it's on the internet it must be true. I think each of those cases may have more info than what is published, but apparently with the large number some are probably legitimate. I don't fire a weapon straight up unless it's a bb gun, although sometimes when shooting doves it goes up pretty straight. Sorry to have gotten off on this tangent. I'll shut up now.
    Shot weighing a few grams will indeed have only tiny amounts of energy...apples and oranges when compared with solid ammo.

All I know is one New Year's one came smashing through our kitchen ceiling, which means through the comp shingles, decking, and insulation before busting through the sheet rock and nairilly missing my Dad.

The next question is, why did I just use the word nairilly?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Guess his hero is Barney Fife, another idiot who managed to get a gun permit, but has NO CLUE how to handle a gun or his responsibilities in carrying that gun. He was given a concealed gun permit, was not sworm in as a deputy or made a super hero given license to stop crime where ever and when ever he sees it, plus he should know you NEVER FIRE YOUR GUN IN THE AIR !!! Hope they take away his permit and charge him appropriately for firing his gun without cause. a true DOPE.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Not even dumb animals stand in place when they hear a gun shot. They run.
    Except for the deer that hangs out at our range. Must be deaf from all the shooting, as we have to run out to the 100 yard line to scare it off every 15 minutes.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Here's an individual who probably bought a gun and took the minimum class to get his CCW.
    As with all of us, he should have taken additional training both beginning and something more advanced to instill proper presentation...when, where, why, and how...and so much other stuff.

He obviously has no idea why he made some big errors.

Stay armed...you're not a cop...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links