DUMB: Witness fires gun as robber flees - Page 3

DUMB: Witness fires gun as robber flees

This is a discussion on DUMB: Witness fires gun as robber flees within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We've had this "are falling bullets dangerous" discussion before - but it doesn't really matter what physics (or Mythbusters) say should happen, the fact is ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    VIP Member
    We've had this "are falling bullets dangerous" discussion before - but it doesn't really matter what physics (or Mythbusters) say should happen, the fact is that a number of people are hurt or killed by this very thing every year. Last time I was here in Baghdad, for example, the Iraqis won a big soccer tournament. They celebrated by firing tens of thousands of rounds in the air. Many (MANY) landed on us - one crashed through a trailer ceiling and split a guys head open. He recovered, but had a nice dent in his skull and required a good number of stitches. So, yes, Virginia, they are dangerous.

Here's what Wiki has to say - I know Wiki isn't infallible, but at least these are all cited...

Falling-bullet injuries

People are injured, sometimes fatally, when bullets discharged into the air fall back down. The mortality rate among those struck by falling bullets is about 32%, compared with about 2 – 6% normally associated with gunshot wounds.[5] The higher mortality is related to the higher incidence of head wounds from falling bullets.

A study by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) found that 80% of celebratory gunfire-related injuries are to the head, feet, and shoulders.[6] In the U.S. Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, about two people die and about 25 more are injured each year from celebratory gunfire on New Year's Eve, the CDC says.[3] Between the years 1985 – 1992, doctors at the King/Drew Medical Center in Los Angeles, California treated some 118 people for random falling-bullet injuries. 38 of them died.[7] Kuwaitis celebrating in 1991 at the end of the Gulf War by firing weapons into the air caused 20 deaths from falling bullets.[7]

Firearms expert Julian Hatcher studied falling bullets and found that .30 caliber rounds reach terminal velocities of 300 feet per second (90 m/s) and larger .50 caliber bullets have a terminal velocity of 500 feet per second (150 m/s).[8] A bullet traveling at only 150 feet per second (46 m/s) to 170 feet per second (52 m/s) can penetrate human skin,[9] and at less than 200 feet per second (60 m/s), it can penetrate the skull.[10] A bullet that does not penetrate the skull may still result in an intracranial injury.[11]
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

JRI
    Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Why didn't he flash his CCW badge instead of firing into the air.
    I'll bet he has one and a cape he keeps in the trunk of his car.

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

I wonder if he will ever get his permit back? After a move like that I hope not.

Maybe he used blanks?

He didn’t have a CCW he had a CCI Conceal Carry Idiot

This is another reason why Obama wants a nationwide ban against concealed carry. All of us average Americans can not be trusted with a gun.

good grief...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

VIP Member
    Now here's a guy who watches too much TV! SHEESH!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Not to get away from the point of the OP, which is the the witness is a complete 'tard, falling bullets aren't going to hurt anybody.

On the other hand, a high deflection shot that is still acting under the force of the original shot and still spiraling to give it some aerodynamic stability...youbetcha. And I am not going to assume that anybody stupid enough to have done what the witless^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hwitness did knows if he was pointing the gun straight up in the air or just at a high angle that could have killed somebody a mile away.
    so you would not mind having a ball ammo .45cal cumming right down on the top of your head from 500 feet up?....
    no that probably wouldnt hurt at all...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I have bullets fall on me frequently when I am bird hunting., they are really small. I suppose a really big bullet could do some more significant damage.
    Do you mean shotgun pellets? I suspect a lot of us have been sprayed with pellets from a distance without any harm (excluding Dick Chaney's buddy who must have been standing beside Dick). Big big difference between a shotgun pellet and a bullet.

What a moron.

Within the last year, a guy in Denver was killed when a neighbor (300 yards away) fired a handgun into the air in celebration.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Several years ago a 16 year old girl was killed while swimming in the pool at Carowinds in Charlotte. The bullet came from a fellow about two miles away trying out his gun that he had converted to fully automatic. Not only did he servie time for killin the girl but had added time for the fully automatic weapon. I can't remember exactly what type of gun it was. A bullet shot straight up may have been busted by mythbuster idiots but there are too many real-life cases to go around shooting in the air.

You know, once you become involved in the action, you are no longer a "witness," but an actor/player/participant.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links