DUMB: Witness fires gun as robber flees

This is a discussion on DUMB: Witness fires gun as robber flees within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Daily Tribune: Breaking news coverage for southeastern Oakland County, Michigan Witness fires gun as robber flees Tuesday, September 23, 2008 8:02 AM EDT By Michael ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Daily Tribune: Breaking news coverage for southeastern Oakland County, Michigan

Witness fires gun as robber flees

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 8:02 AM EDT

By Michael P. McConnell, Daily Tribune Staff Writer

Man told police he was trying to get suspect to stop.

MADISON HEIGHTS Police seized a handgun from a witness to an armed robbery at a gas station early Monday after they say he fired several shots into the air as the robber fled in a car on West 12 Mile Road.

The thief got away with between $100 and $200 cash, police said.

"I can't recall us ever having a witness fire a gun before," said Madison Heights Police Lt. Corey Haines. "The witness had his weapon with him and fired six shots in the air. He said it was an attempt to get the robbery suspect to stop."

The witness, 35, told police he drove up to the Clark station, 601 W. 12 Mile Road about 2:15 a.m. and saw a man running away from the station.

He talked to the clerk inside the station and learned he had just been robbed, police said.

The Madison Heights man saw the robber run across 12 Mile Road to the Home Depot parking lot across the street, he told police.

Officers said the robber got into a dark colored Dodge, possibly a Sebring or Stratus, and drove west on 12 Mile with the lights off.

The witness, who has a permit to carry a concealed weapon, then fired the shots from his 9mm handgun, police said.

"What he did was very unsafe," Haines said. "We're continuing our investigation and will report the incident to the county gun board which oversees gun permits."

No one was injured and there was no damage from the fired

shots, Haines added.

Police said they are looking for the man who held up the gas station.

The suspect walked up to the counter with a bottle of water then put his hand in his shirt pocket, implying he had a gun, and told the clerk to put all the money from the register in a bag and give it to him, police said.

The clerk, 19, complied and the robber ordered him to lie on the floor before the robber fled the station, police said.

The man is described as black, about 30 years old, and wore a mustache, a brownish-gray hooded pull-over shirt and green shorts.

Police said the man left the water bottle on the counter and they are checking it for fingerprints.
    Another dumbazz making us look bad
    Mr. President: They didn't die for open borders.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

Simple physics should tell someone this is a stupid idea. What goes up will come down, I have seen this personally with a bullet coming through our roof many years ago barley missing my Dad's shoulder.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

What a dope.

Anyway, that is MY Home Depot that they mention. I was there just yesterday, and frequently enough buy gas at that station.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Actually...hope they take his license away. Another Wyatt Earp that has watched too many Westerns.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Simple physics should tell someone this is a stupid idea. What goes up will come down, I have seen this personally with a bullet coming through our roof many years ago barley missing my Dad's shoulder.
    Free falling bullets should reach terminal velocity when the air resistance equals the force/acceleration due to gravity. Unless the bullets were fired other than straight up the risk should not be much different than a medium sized hail stone. To comply with Physics..

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    What a dope.

Anyway, that is MY Home Depot that they mention. I was there just yesterday, and frequently enough buy gas at that station.
    Can you account for all of your bullets? Did your gun recently go through a cleaning session at the local PD with a property tag attached?

Anyway, gotta agree, what a dope.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Why didn't he flash his CCW badge instead of firing into the air.

Physics aside, why would this guy think that gun shots would cause a person to freeze and stop all motion?
    When normal regular people hear gun shots they flee (!), to safety.
    Not even dumb animals stand in place when they hear a gun shot. They run.

Moron.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Unloading a gun in the air did not work any bettter here than it did in Hot Fuzz. Was the robber his daddy?

He wasn't just shooting in the air. He was adjusting for range with too much elevation. Hope he checked the wind.

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Physics aside, why would this guy think that gun shots would cause a person to freeze and stop all motion?
    Because it works in the movies all the time. I guess the BG doesn't watch many movies, otherwise he would have know that and stopped.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Free falling bullets should reach terminal velocity when the air resistance equals the force/acceleration due to gravity. Unless the bullets were fired other than straight up the risk should not be much different than a medium sized hail stone. To comply with Physics..
    Hummmm...physics aside...lots of examples of people being killed from falling bullets.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Hummmm...physics aside...lots of examples of people being killed from falling bullets.

Rick
    Killed/injured/property damaged. Even if it doesn't, say, penetrate a skull, you'd better believe it'd feel like getting hit with a baseball bat.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Can you account for all of your bullets? Did your gun recently go through a cleaning session at the local PD with a property tag attached?
    Uhhhh...my lawyer told me not to talk about it?? Heck, if I knew PD was gonna clean it for me I'd have been doing range time in the Home Depot Parking lot a long time ago!

What an IDIOT!

That's all I got.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links