Pregnant Wal-Mart Shopper Hit By Bullet Fired By Fleeing Suspect

This is a discussion on Pregnant Wal-Mart Shopper Hit By Bullet Fired By Fleeing Suspect within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; CASSELBERRY, Fla. -- An innocent pregnant woman was may have been shot inside a Wal-Mart store by a crazed robber trying to escape Casselberry police ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pregnant Wal-Mart Shopper Hit By Bullet Fired By Fleeing Suspect

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar

Pregnant Wal-Mart Shopper Hit By Bullet Fired By Fleeing Suspect

CASSELBERRY, Fla. -- An innocent pregnant woman was may have been shot inside a Wal-Mart store by a crazed robber trying to escape Casselberry police Wednesday afternoon. Eyewitnesses ran for cover, but one shopper was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The frightening scene started when someone spotted a suspect from a robbery at a nearby check cashing store. But when police went to the Wal-Mart on State Road 436 near Howell Branch Road (see map) to check it out, the robber started shooting and a pregnant woman shopping for a baby crib was injured.

Dozens of customers shoot stood dazed outside just minutes after the robber opened fire while trying to escape from police inside the store.

"Everybody was just screaming all over the place. It scared me," said eyewitness Jordan Menoyo.

Investigators were still trying to locate eyewitnesses when Eyewitness News arrived at the scene Wednesday afternoon. They said the crime spree began at the Advance America check cashing store just a bit farther south on SR=436.

With a perimeter set up around him, the suspect made his way up to the Wal-Mart, when an employee recognized him and called police.

"The subject looked up, saw police officers and fled through to the back of the store," explained John Pavlis, Casselberry Police Department.

During those moments, police say the suspect squeezed off at least six shots into the store crowded with afternoon shoppers. Eyewitnesses described panic and chaos.

"All I heard was the gunshots and that's it. And people saying, 'Get down!'" said an unidentified shopper.

It was only in a field behind the store that Casselberry police finally nabbed the suspect, using a taser to subdue him.

Police recovered stolen money in dumpster outside a nearby McDonalds and recovered the gun in the field where the suspect was caught. The suspect faces charges of attempted murder of a law enforcement officer and armed robbery among many others. The suspect's name has not been released.

PREGNANT WOMAN RUSHED TO HOSPITAL

Karla Woodland, the pregnant shopper, went into hysterics after the shooting, according to her mother.

"She was screaming at him, 'I'm pregnant, I'm pregnant! Don't shoot!'" said Faye Siewert. "She didn't know if the guy was going to grab her but the bad guy, I guess, had a gun because she said he went whipping by and she was scared to death he might grab her."

The suspect apparently brushed against Woodland as he rushed by. Witnesses say a police officer ran then ran by, firing at the suspect. Siewert says a bullet hit a nearby post and fragments of the bullet or the post hit Woodland in the back.

She was taken to Florida Hospital in Winter Park where she was having a sonogram to check the status of her baby.

Copyright 2008 by wftv.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Pregnant Wal-Mart Shopper Hit By Bullet Fired By Fleeing Suspect - News Story - WFTV Orlando

People are getting more idiotic with each passing day - and my Mother wonders why I carry a gun.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

I know it started elsewhere, but Wal-Mart again shows up in the news.

Didn't this guy know there may be several CCW in the store buying ammo and nachos?

I hope the baby is alright and the woman only has minor injuries and a scare.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I know it started elsewhere, but Wal-Mart again shows up in the news.

Didn't this guy know there may be several CCW in the store buying ammo and nachos?

I hope the baby is alright and the woman only has minor injuries and a scare.
    I agree.

I can only add that I'm disapointed the 'suspect' wasn't shot and killed.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I hope the article in the paper wasnt printed the same way it is posted here. It needs serious editing for grammatical errors.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

glad to hear that the police got the b.g. hope that the lady and her baby
    are ok. shame on the news for putting her name on the story.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Since when does a bad guy think and they don't care who they put in danger.....
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

For all of the CCW'ers that frequent Wal-Marts, where are they when the dances begin? That young mother and her baby were being watched over on that day.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

Another reason to avoid that illegal-immigrant friendly junkyard.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I'm sorry, i know there are limits as to what a jury would accept as a "self defense" shooting. But if there is a particular piece of slime that is so stupid as to threaten or hurt a pregnant woman in my presence.. jury be damned. He's getting my 7+1 and a sound pistol whipping.

Same applies to hurting a child. To me, some things are just unforgivable.

...I'm working to a slow boil just thinking about it.
    We are only as vulnerable as we are naive.

So how do we press the media into printing the names and address of the "Suspects" and keep the names and address of the "Victims" out of it? Especially those who defend themselves.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Slimz13 View Post
    I'm sorry, i know there are limits as to what a jury would accept as a "self defense" shooting. But if there is a particular piece of slime that is so stupid as to threaten or hurt a pregnant woman in my presence.. jury be damned. He's getting my 7+1 and a sound pistol whipping.

Same applies to hurting a child. To me, some things are just unforgivable.

...I'm working to a slow boil just thinking about it.
    You may not know this, apparently, but self defense extends to being defense of others in such cases as this. You would have no more problem with a jury if you are defending yourself, a pregnant woman, a child, a police officer, or just any old ordinary adult white male.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
    You may not know this, apparently, but self defense extends to being defense of others in such cases as this. You would have no more problem with a jury if you are defending ... white male.
    Defend a white male? No, actually 00Spy is absolutely correct.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

VIP Member
    The suspect apparently brushed against Woodland as he rushed by. Witnesses say a police officer ran then ran by, firing at the suspect. Siewert says a bullet hit a nearby post and fragments of the bullet or the post hit Woodland in the back.
    I may be reading this wrong, but I read it as she was hit by fragments from the LEO's bullet, not the BG's.
    I'm not defending the BG, I think he needs to spend a LONG time behind bars, with no parole.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
    You may not know this, apparently, but self defense extends to being defense of others in such cases as this. You would have no more problem with a jury if you are defending yourself, a pregnant woman, a child, a police officer, or just any old ordinary adult white male.
    My point was, the jury may have a hard time believing that it was necessary to shoot him 8 or 18 times (depending on what i was carrying) and pistol whip his dead body..

A situation like this where a thug has threatened or hurt someone totally innocent/incapable of defending themselves push the limits of what I can handle without losing control. I would be justified in shooting, yes. But sometimes i wonder if i would be able to stop at 2 or 4 shots in a situation like that. It sounds almost vigilanty-ic, but i wonder sometimes if i would stop shooting when the "threat" stopped in a situation like this...
    We are only as vulnerable as we are naive.

That is very frightening. You seem to have some emotion management issues.

FYI, pregnant women can defend themselves. If she is 21, there is no reason a pregnant woman can't CCW like the rest of us. In this case, the pregnant woman is 23.
    http://www.local6.com/news/17549339/detail.html
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links