Yet another reason to carry.

Yet another reason to carry.

This is a discussion on Yet another reason to carry. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I posted the other day about the Dunkin' Donuts store that got robbed at gunpoint close to where I work. So this morning I have ...

Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Yet another reason to carry.

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Array MP45Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    State of Guns and Religion
    Posts
    937

    Yet another reason to carry.

    I posted the other day about the Dunkin' Donuts store that got robbed at gunpoint close to where I work. So this morning I have to drive out of town about 100 miles north to visit a customer. I'm driving out a rural road to get to the interstate and I see a helicopter circling an area in the area I was heading. Thought it was odd but put it out of my mind as I was rehearsing my visit in my head. Right before I get on the interstate, I stop at a convenience store to get a cup of coffee for the drive. Across the street the road is blocked with a rescue vehicle and cones with light flashing. Once again, no big deal. I go in the store and I get my coffee and exchange pleasantries with the clerk who seems obviously upset about something. I start to walk out and I heard her mumble that she can't wait to get out of this area. So being a nice guy, I spun around and asked her why she wanted to leave. She told me that the road was blocked because they pulled over some guy and he bolted. They found a dead body in the trunk. The cops came into the store and showed her a picture and she said the guys was in earlier. She kept on talking about how bad the area is getting. I then suggested to her that she get her permit, a gun, and some training on how to use it and left. I then immediately called my wife and told her not to open the garage door until her and the kids were in the car. The guy was still on the loose. When I got home tonight I started working on her to get her permit. She's still resistant, but I see some cracks. Wish me luck.
    Search for Suspect Continues after Body Found in Trunk|abc27 News


  2. #2
    VIP Member Array Paco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    McKinney, TX
    Posts
    3,507
    Good luck with that. I would hope the proximity of this to your Wife and kids would make her at least think about it.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

    -Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    44,863
    Keep pushing the local crime reports...that's what finally convinced my wife to get her permit.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  4. #4
    Ex Member Array jahwarrior72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    the raggedy edge
    Posts
    1,438
    State Police and Lower Paxton Township Police are investigating a death in the area of South Blue Ribbon Avenue and Old Jonestown Road.

    Shortly before 2 a.m., officers attempted to pull over a driver.

    When officers began questioning him, he took off, crashed the car, and got away on foot.

    Police inspected the car and found the body of a female in the trunk.

    The woman is 41 year-old Marisol Rivera from Bethel Township, Berks County.

    The suspect's name is Julio Lastra.

    His last known address is in Lebanon, and he was wearing jeans, a gray t-shirt, sandals, and light-colored socks.

    He may have a cut over one eye.

    Police also tell abc27 he may have stolen a silver Cadillac SUV from a home on Jonestown Road.

    The vehicle has Pennsylvania plates DMG-7084.

    Because of the investigation, all schools in the Central Dauphin School District were put on a two hour delay.

    Police have found the car Lastro was driving in Baltimore, but have not located the suspect at this time.
    hmmmmm, Lebanon, PA? i wonder if people will read this and still think Melanie Hain was paranoid for packing at a soccer game.....

  5. #5
    Member Array Fmr18z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    329
    You've got a 99% chance that you'll never have to draw and fire your carry weapon, but when the 1% shows up you'll be very happy that you made the decision to carry on that particular day. I don't fancy the idea of being stuffed into someone's trunk...dead or alive.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

  6. #6
    Member Array Slimz13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mantua, OH
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by Fmr18z View Post
    You've got a 99% chance that you'll never have to draw and fire your carry weapon, but when the 1% shows up you'll be very happy that you made the decision to carry on that particular day. I don't fancy the idea of being stuffed into someone's trunk...dead or alive.
    Amen to that. The criminal underworld holds things in store for the unwary that would make Clive Barker cringe. I don't ever plan on finding out first hand.
    We are only as vulnerable as we are naive.

  7. #7
    Ex Member Array Ram Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    13,687
    Yet another reason to carry.
    Even doing an extensive search, I don't think you'll find any reasons not to. Good luck to you and the family in your neck of the woods.
    Keep pushing the local crime reports...that's what finally convinced my wife to get her permit.
    Some sound advice. It appears to work.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    809
    Reminds me of my cousin who was murdered. The guy killed her and used her SUV to dump her body. Ended up being a guy who went to the same high school I did at the same time. He killed her while robbing her. What a POS.

  9. #9
    Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,536
    One point which is worth presenting again is:

    It isn't the likelihood of the event, it's the cost of being wrong.

    Please look over the attached chart and consider memorizing it so you can reproduce it later on the back of a napkin during a discussion. If you match your prep to the risk, you win! If you goof in overpreparedness, all you've done is invested more time and money than you needed to. If you goof in underpreparedness, your family could be injured or killed.

    Easy decision for me.

    Caveat: the chart is simplified, of course: if you use a weapon it will likely be very costly in terms of legal fees and nightmares, so the green color and "safe" doesn't quite tell the whole story. But as a contrast against the possibility of injury or death, it is probably close enough.
    Attached Images

  10. #10
    Member Array DAtrigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    144
    The grid you posted is very educational and makes a good point in a straightforward manner.

  11. #11
    VIP Member Array stormbringerr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    2,207
    His last known address is in Lebanon, and he was wearing jeans, a gray t-shirt, sandals, and light-colored socks
    seems kind of weird that he outran the police wearing sandals.oh well.be glad when this creeps caught.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

  12. #12
    Senior Member Array Sky Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Lorain County, Ohio
    Posts
    852
    +1 on pushing the local crime reports!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Yet another reason to carry...
    By Sejune in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: May 5th, 2009, 11:00 PM
  2. Any reason NOT to carry a .45?
    By cv7713 in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: February 28th, 2009, 01:32 AM
  3. One more reason I carry...
    By Paco in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: December 10th, 2008, 10:26 PM
  4. Reason to Carry
    By Hondov65 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: August 14th, 2008, 12:01 AM
  5. Another Reason To Carry
    By amlevin in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: June 3rd, 2006, 01:36 PM